If I upgrade now > need help

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by JR86, Aug 30, 2012.

1. JR86 macrumors newbie

Hi all.

At the moment I have a white MB 13'3" end 2009.

2.1 core 2 duo, 4 GB RAM. and 128 Gb HDD

The 15 inch retina is to expensive for me, I doubt about the 'normal' 15" as it is quite expensive and heavier.

Weight isnt the most important for me. But 0.4 KG from a 13 inch to a 15 inch...

At this moment I am looking at these two models.

MBA 13'3" 1.8, 8 GB RAM and 256 SDD
    MBP 13'3" 2.9. 8GB RAM and 750 HDD ( Or would the 2.5 I5 be fast enough?)

I use the laptop mostly for internet and Aperture. Since I have got a Canon ff DSLR, since end 2010, Aperture is slow...

So which one whould you pick.

Furthermore I hope to get some answers to a question, as in store they give me different answers.

If I ask this question the push me towards a 15 inch, because of the dedicated GPU.. ( And quad core). Wel the RMPB is then every I need. Has SDD, GPU, Quad core, but to expensive)

So what would is the most important ' update' to speed up Aperture?

1. Dedicated GPU?
    2. SDD instead HDD?
    3. Fast processor/CPU?

Thanks for helping out a first poster :)

2. simsaladimbamba

You can upgrade RAM (8 GB for 50 USD, 16 GB for 100 USD) and SSD (256 GB for less than 250 USD) yourself and safe the money for a better model.
    If I were you, I would buy the 15" High-Res MBP (Anti-Glare for me) for the dedicated GPU and the better resolution.
    Then add 8 GB yourself and maybe even the SSD (128 GB might suffice if you go the Optibay route*).
    MacBook, MacBook Pro: Replacing the Hard Disk Drive, transferring data to the new HDD

the guide includes:
    • 0. Identify your MacBook or MacBook Pro
    • 1. Getting a new HDD
    • 2. Guides to replace the internal HDD with a newer one
    • 3. Transferring data from the old HDD to the new HDD
    • * 4. Using the optical disk drive (ODD) slot for placing an SSD or HDD inside the MB/P (OPTIBAY)

3. Dark Void macrumors 68030

Dark Void

I would go for the MBA if you feel that portability is more of a concern or MBP if you feel that expandability is more of a concern. Take your future usage into account and decide whether the specs of the MBA will be enough for you in the long run, and if you decide they are not then it would be more logical to go for the MBP.

4. Orlandoech macrumors 68040

Orlandoech

SSD instead of HDD.

The 13" i5 with 8-16GB (user upgraded, apple rips you off) and user upgraded SSD would be PLENTY. If you wanted some more kick, the 13" i7 with 8-16GB ram and SSD would be fast.

My brother has a 2012 13" i5 with just 8GB Ram and OCZ Vertex 4 256GB SSD and it screams. Aperture, Lightroom and Photoshop CS6 run very smoothly with no issues.

5. JR86 thread starter macrumors newbie

But isnt it SDD only for launching Aperture and previews?

Isnt it for the actualy editing that a faster CPU/GPU or more RAM then the 4 I have now is more important?

6. Ledgem macrumors 65816

Ledgem

Correct. You could put your Aperture library on the SSD, but you'll fill it up in no time. SSDs can't compare to the storage/cost ratio of conventional hard drives, so you'll likely have your library on an external drive.

Storage drives aside, the three factors that will affect Aperture performance are RAM, processor, and GPU (not necessarily in that order). If this will be your primary machine then I'd be nervous about going with a system that only has integrated graphics. However, I've never run Aperture on a system without a dedicated GPU; maybe it would be fine. Hopefully you'll get some comments from Aperture users who have tried that.

Given that the size and weight don't matter that much to you, I'd stretch for a 15".