If I upgrade to iOS 4.3 will I lose my unlocking???

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by garysims, Mar 21, 2011.

1. garysims macrumors newbie

Hi,

Sorry if this is a simple or a no brainer question but I am VERY new to the world of iPhone hacking, jail breaking and unlocking!

I have just managed to jailbreak and unlock my iPhone 3GS. It is running iOS 4.1 with baseband 06.15.00... The SIM card from my new carrier now works great.

iTunes of course is now offering to upgrade my iPhone to iOS 4.3? The question is should I?

• Will it overwrite my unlocking?
    • Will it "brick" my phone?

I don't mind if it un-jailbreaks the phone, I only jail broke it so I could unlock it, so for me that isn't important.

Any help would be grateful!

Thanks,

Gary

2. Phil A. Moderator

Phil A.

Staff Member

AFAIK, because you have put the 6.15 baseband onto your iPhone, you will be unable to apply any official updates and will have to seek out a 4.3 custom build.

3. WhatAmI macrumors 6502a

WhatAmI

Phil is correct. Any standard update vi iTunes will fail and you need a 4.3 Custom 4.3 IPSW for this to work

4. garysims thread starter macrumors newbie

@Phil A, @WhatAmI,

Thanks both of you for your quick replies... For my own information I put baseband 00.06.15 as I thought I couldn't unlock with the original one I had (05.14.02). Was I wrong / mistaken about that?

Is there a known good source for custom IPSW files and/or what is the best way to create them? With Pwnage?

Thanks again for your quick replies...

Gary

5. WhatAmI macrumors 6502a

WhatAmI

Your previous baseband can not be unlocked currently so you didn't c o c k up ;) Rather than downloading something you're not 100% certain of I would def. recommend PwnageTool to create your own IPSW

6. jdaniel macrumors 65816

ur fine stick with what u have now.. why upgrade when you dont have to... I have been seeing tons of messages on here about people having issues after updating.. so if u dont know how to troubleshoot in case u encounter problems leave it be. :)

7. garysims thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks everyone for your excellent advice... I think I will stick with 4.1 for the moment and IF I am forced to upgrade at some time in the future I will try and make an ipsw with Pwnage.

Thanks again,

Gary

8. Saab2000 macrumors newbie

Hello there,

I am also new to this forum. I follow the jailbreaking threads with interests as I am having a problem with my jailbreak.

Like "garysims" I also have a 3GS, 32GB, 4.2.1 with 06.15.00.
    Serial number 87943C*****

At the moment my gps-function does not work. I read that this may be the case given my current firmware and/or jailbreak.

I would therefor like to upgrade to 4.3.3, hoping it will be solved then.

Should I be worried about unlock afterwards? Would you recommend using a custom IPSW? Would you recommend 4.3.1 or 4.3.3?

Kind regards,,

SB20

9. nebo1ss macrumors 68030

There is nothing you can do to fix the GPS issue. It is a compatibility issue with the iPad baseband and the phone.