If I upgraded my Ram or Hard Drive, how would apple know?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Dammit Cubs, Nov 25, 2007.

1. Dammit Cubs macrumors 68000

Dammit Cubs

This is something I just thought of, but if I were to buy the same ram or hard drive company used in the macbook lineup and install it myself. Would apple know right away that this computer was modified, thus voiding my warranty?

I have a 120 gig hard drive now and I am tempted to buy 200 gig drive.

2. tyr2 macrumors 6502a

tyr2

The Apple hard drives have, in my experience, got apple logos on the label. The RAM has serial numbers on it, tho I don't remember them being Apple labeled.

You can upgrade both the hard drive and RAM in a MacBook without voiding the warranty. Just keep the originals around in case you have problems, then you can put them back in before you send it in for service.

3. CashGap macrumors 6502

CashGap

Stock configuration is on file and printed on the bottom of the machine?

4. Dammit Cubs thread starter macrumors 68000

Dammit Cubs

i guess the only problem i have is that if I replace both the hard drive and the ram. (Ram I know for sure I will be replacing). and if I replace the hard drive before returning it (it won't have all the update information of my os). and so it might now recreate the error well..

you kinda get what I am saying? its hard to explain.

5. HLdan macrumors 603

HLdan

Upgrading ram does not void the warranty as it's customer replaceable. The OP didn't mention what Mac he was using but if it's a MBP lappy or iMac ALU then it does void the warranty if the HDD is upgraded by the customer.

6. iToaster macrumors 68000

iToaster

No, there's always the case of a BTO, but a serial number is possible. Also, some error reports that you might send to Apple have your system information in it, so they might be able to tell if you did something, but not who you are (cause they don't have your SN in the report). If you send it in for service they'll find out though. For example, I can change the hard drive in my MBP (if I work up the courage) and just keep the original in case repairs are needed and Apple will never know if I did anything.

7. treblah macrumors 65816

treblah

I don't get what you are saying. RAM and the HD ARE user replaceable on a MacBook.

http://manuals.info.apple.com/en/MacBook_13inch_HardDrive_DIY.pdf

8. Dammit Cubs thread starter macrumors 68000

Dammit Cubs

Like lets say you have a problem with your mac and you swap your hard drives....well now you have nothing on your old hard drive. everything is on the new hard drive. so now you have a blank hard drive and how can apple find the problem. If you can't recreate it.

9. MikeTheC Guest

MikeTheC

Gallifrey -- Capitol City, Prydonian Sector
    Well then, in that case, it's either a *new HDD* problem or it's a software problem. So, what's the problem?

10. hookem12387 macrumors 6502

Is it a breach of warranty to crack open my mini case and add ram?

11. emptyCup macrumors 65816

emptyCup

No, but if you break something it will not be covered by the warranty. Many people have upgraded mini's without problem. Just be sure to look at the online guides first.