Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ViolentHero

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 3, 2012
Can I do it without the Mac OSX operating system disc? I've watched YouTube Video tutorials of how to install Windows 7 on my Mac and they mostly say I should use the OSX disc to install drivers. Sadly, I lost the OSX disc. Also, if I plan to play games when booted to Windows 7, how much file space do you folks recommend when I create the Boot Camp partition?

Pharmscott

macrumors 6502a
Dec 13, 2011
Sacramento, CA
I installed Win7 via Bootcamp on my 2011 Mini and did it without the OS-X disc, mainly because the computer didn't come with one. So, it is clearly possible. I used a USB drive for the Win7 image. If you do that, be sure to get at least an 8gb stick. Windows takes around 4gb and then the Bootcamp Assistant will download all the drivers you need to the stick which is another few gigs.

Also, you have to have a full version of Win7, not an upgrade or an OEM to do it right.

Last tip: Be sure to mount the image of Win7 on the stick, not just copy it over.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.