If I want to stay on iOS 7, am I simply locked out of apps I've purchased before?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Hal~9000, Sep 18, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hal~9000, Sep 18, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 19, 2014

Hal~9000 macrumors 68000

Hal~9000

Curious, if I don't want to upgrade to iOS 8, am I simply locked out of (can't install) applications I've paid for in the past?

I thought I remember reading something about how Apple now makes it where the last compatible version is what your phone downloads?

Or am I mistaken and simply screwed by Apple/Developers that want to force me onto iOS 8 or risk losing access to apps I've already paid for? :confused:

2. From A Buick 8 macrumors 68040

From A Buick 8

The only thing you lose is the ability to use apps that require iOS 8. You can still use ones that you have now. If the ones you have now are ever updated or optimized for iOS 8 then you would not be able to upgrade yours.

3. Hal~9000 thread starter macrumors 68000

Hal~9000

I don't have any apps downloaded ATM. So I take it I'm locked out of downloading things I've already paid for unless I'm strong armed into updating to iOS 8? :mad:

Shouldn't there be some sort of lawsuit over this? :confused:

Apple should provide the ability to use the last version you paid for that was compatible with your iOS version.

4. Newtons Apple Suspended

Newtons Apple

I am sure that Apple is pretty well covered under the agreements that we all have agreed too to use their devices.

Do not waste you money with a lawsuit as Apple's pockets are VERY deep!

5. Hal~9000 thread starter macrumors 68000

Hal~9000

Point taken but just because they might have put something into their iOS agreements doesn't make it right :(

Pretty much a dick move by Apple and a slap in the face to their customers.

6. Tyler23 macrumors 603

Tyler23

Most apps will still work with iOS 7. Just try downloading them, it should download ios 7 versions.

7. Hal~9000 thread starter macrumors 68000

Hal~9000

Well let's say for example the app 'Numbers' (which I paid $9.99 for back in the day before it was free), they just updated it... so now I'm locked out for good even though I've paid for it? That **** ain't right!

I wouldn't want that app on my phone all the time though since it's flippin' HUGE and I don't use it all the time.

8. From A Buick 8 macrumors 68040

From A Buick 8

you can download the iOS 7 version

9. Hal~9000 thread starter macrumors 68000

Hal~9000

Really? :)

How would I download the iOS 7 version from iTunes?

10. highlightshadow macrumors regular

Apple will let you download the final compatible version for your OS.

Seriously though ... Apple makes iOS8 available to as many devices as can handle it and have such very high OS adoption rates so developers can make best use of every feature.... you get better apps, better experience

Its meant to be one of the benefits of iOS over Android ... in that devs can and do push forward on their development and can dedicate themselves to the highest iOS on the basis of high market share within Apple alone of that version

11. Hal~9000 thread starter macrumors 68000

Hal~9000

Interesting, so if I go to download the 'Numbers' app it won't simply tell me "tough luck, upgrade to iOS 8 or you can't download me ever again!" ?

It will automatically download the iOS 7 version?

12. highlightshadow macrumors regular

Yep. Apple last year made a big deal out of this fact ... it'll just download whatever version it can for your OS

So you're apps that were working amazing yesterday will still work amazing today even if you don't run iOS8 .... but yes, you will be stuck with that version until such time you jump to iOS8 to get new stuff

I have a 3rd and 4th Generation iPod touch at home for my kid.... he doesn't get the updates but if he accidently deletes an app i can still download it again for him no problem

13. willmtaylor macrumors G3

willmtaylor

It'll simply initiate the older version for your older OS. Stop over-reacting, throwing fits of rage, and threatening to sue without performing your due diligence.

14. Hal~9000 thread starter macrumors 68000

Hal~9000

Oh baby!

You guys just made my night :D

Thanks for the helpful info. I don't care about having the latest iOS version of apps, I simply want to be able to download iOS 7 versions of the previous apps I've purchased.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.