If I want to upgrade my iPhone, how does that work?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by slapple, Dec 3, 2014.

1. slapple macrumors 6502

I have an iPhone 4S on AT&T. Let's say I order the iPhone 5S along with a 2 year contract with AT&T, and I want to keep the same phone number. At what point will my phone number stop working with the 4S? Do I need to receive the 5S and activate it before it takes over my phone number?

2. Menel macrumors 603

Menel

Your phone number switches when you activate the new one.

3. slapple thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks, and then I just restore my 4S backup (from iOS 6) on the 5S, and everything on the 4S will be on the 5S?

4. Mlrollin91 macrumors G4

Mlrollin91

You may need to be on the same iOS version on both devices to complete the restore, but I definitely recommend starting the phone as new. You will carry over a lot of junk from the 4S which may decrease performance and will most likely hurt battery life.

5. iBlazed macrumors 68000

iBlazed

No you don't.
    Complete and utter nonsense.

6. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

Restoring from a backup can introduce problems, it's not a bad idea when switching from an old phone to a new one.

7. Mlrollin91 macrumors G4

Mlrollin91

If its complete and utter nonsense why does Apple recommend it? Also I have first hand on several occasions experienced problems with restoring a backup from a previous generation iPhone. Upgrading from my iPhone 4S to my iPhone 5 left 1.9GB of "other" on my phone. Going from my iPhone 5S to iPhone 6 left over 2.5GB of "other" and I had horrendous battery life. A fresh install on a new device is the best way to go.

That is why I said I recommend it. Not that he has to.

Also it wouldn't be a bad idea to put the iPhone 4S on iOS 8 before restoring the back up to the iPhone 5S because that could lead to problems on its own. iOS 6 software being restored to iOS 8 just seems like a bad idea.

8. iBlazed macrumors 68000

iBlazed

Been restoring from backups for the last 6 years. No issues here. Is there any documented evidence of these problems, or is it just hearsay?

9. Mlrollin91 macrumors G4

Mlrollin91

Just because you have had no issues doesn't make you the rule. You could very well be the exception. It's well known that upgrading devices and iOS and using a backup could decrease battery life and overall performance. It's been discussed thousands of times all over the web.

10. iBlazed macrumors 68000

iBlazed

It's not just me, most people I know don't start fresh on their iOS devices. It's simpler to just restore from backup. Is there any official evidence of these issues being caused by restoring from backup, or is that just what people suspect?

11. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

Your personal experience is a pretty poor statistical sample.

Apple suggests doing a clean install of iOS if any problems arise, therefore an occasional clean install of iOS can help prevent problems.

----------

You and your friends are a poor statistical sample. It sounds like you don't have any facts to back up your statements either.

12. Mlrollin91 macrumors G4

Mlrollin91

I just supplied evidence based on my own experiences. I lost both battery life and 2+GB of space. I've had every iPhone from since the 3G and restoring from backups have been more of a headache than just starting fresh.

Just because most people you know does not make that the experience for all. That's a sample population and not the entire population.

I've personally experienced problems and know of others that have as well (both friends and random people all over the Internet) Therefore I recommend a fresh install. I'm not saying you have to. I was only giving my recommendation based on my past experiences.

13. chabig, Dec 3, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 3, 2014

chabig macrumors 68040

Slow down there, your conclusion does not logically follow from your premise. Just because a procedure fixes problems, doesn't mean it prevents them.

14. Mlrollin91 macrumors G4

Mlrollin91

It actually does.

Apple suggests a clean install if problems arise. Therefore, an occasional clean install 'can' prevent problems.

Now if he were to say 'will' prevent problems. Then the conclusion would be invalid. But with 'can' it implies there is a possibility that an occasional clean install could indeed prevent problems in the future.

15. daflake macrumors 6502a

That is a very Windows mentality.... ;) Your jumping to conclusions that problems "will" arise and have no idea if they will or not. Why not try the restore first and try it? If it doesn't work you can always do a clean install.

To be honest, I have been restoring from backups for years as well and have had no problems. The only time I would suggest a clean install is if you are having serious issues but everyone I know has restored with no issues so I have to honestly recommend it. I can't and won't speak for Apple on the matter as I don't know their policies, but I don't think that they would create an entire backup system to say that a clean install is the way to go. That would make little to no sense.

16. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

Yeah, it does. The problems can occur when you restore the backup from a different phone. If you avoid restoring that backup, you avoid introducing those potential problems.

17. daflake macrumors 6502a

Like what? Just curious as to what you have seen happen rather than just posting your unsupported opinion.

18. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

Poor battery life, iOS and native iOS app crashes and high "other" storage. The most common one, for me at least, has been the battery life.

19. bpeeps macrumors 68020

bpeeps

Anecdotal evidence is not representative of the user-base.

20. Mlrollin91 macrumors G4

Mlrollin91

I have not claimed that the issue occurs to everyone the same way or at all. I merely responded to the other member by stating my own experiences as evidence. And clearly I am not the only one here that has experienced the same issues.

It doesn't matter if I am the only one that has experienced these types of issues from a backup. All it takes is one case for a claim to be made. Therefore, my experiences alone are enough to justify my recommendation and this does not included tens of thousands of posts and threads across the Internet with others having similar issues.

I feel as this has gotten carried away. I simply made a recommendation knowing that a big jump from iOS 6 on a 4S to iOS 8 on a 5S could be problematic and have first hand experienced the problems from a similar upgrade jump. I was then told my recommendation was nonsense even though there is truth behind it.

21. bpeeps macrumors 68020

bpeeps

People generally use the internet as a forum to solve problems, not to praise things working correctly. Still won't be indicative of the majority of users, "tens of thousands" or not. Thought I don't disagree with you, just your evidence.

22. slapple thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for the replies. I think the suggestion to upgrade the 4S to iOS 8 and making a backup is a good one. Hopefully that will minimize any problems when I restore it on the 5S.

23. daflake macrumors 6502a

I would say that is pretty rare to be honest. I have not had battery issues, high other storage, or app crashes using a restore. I would guess that most have not either otherwise Apple wouldn't bother with the process at all.

24. joeblow7777 macrumors 601

I hear people say this a lot, but I disagree. I've moved from a 3Gs to a 5s to a 6. I've always backed up and restored via iTunes. This is the fastest and easiest way to get all the settings and content from your old phone on to your new phone, and I have never had any performance issues. You don't even need to have the same version of iOS. Like I said, I once went from a 3Gs which of course can't even run iOS7 to a 5s with no problems.