If I were to buy an iPod Touch...

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Esviel, Mar 19, 2008.

1. Esviel macrumors newbie

would it be possible to trade in my iPod Nano for some credit toward an iPod touch?

I want the 8GB iTouch, and it costs $299.99 plus tax, for a total of $320. Now, when I get paid, and add that to the rest of my amassed wealth, I will have accumulated a grand total of $296.87.

I won't get paid again for another two weeks, but I don't think i can wait that long!

But then it hit me.....since I'm so close to having enough money....what if I were to trade in my iPod Nano to put a dent in the cost? Is it possible?

How much of a dent will it put in the cost? If it takes a low as $50 off of the iTouch cost, I will be one happy camper.

Also, I've read numerous reviews saying that the iPod Touch has no notes application, no GPS, no email, and the inability to edit events from the calender on the device itself, but all these reviews are old. Can anyone tell me, as of RIGHT NOW, can the iPod Touch do any or all of these things? This is extremely important to me, as I actually want a PDA. I'd get an iPhone but i can't afford the extra $20/month on my current ATT bill.

Thanks!

2. swiftaw macrumors 603

swiftaw

Yes, the terms of the ipod recycle program say if you bring in an old ipod you get $50 off a new one.

3. stainlessliquid macrumors 68000

4. marykay9507 macrumors 6502a

marykay9507

You actually get 10% off the purchase of a new one.

5. Tom B. macrumors 65816

Tom B.

Yes, but I think it would be a much better idea to just sell the nano to a fiend or someone else, as you'll get a lot more than 10% of $229.

It can now do all of those things, but it does not have GPS, although you can get a rough idea of your location with 'Locate Me' in Google Maps. See here for up to date details on iPod touch applications.

6. El Phantasmo macrumors member

i wouldnt spend all my money on an 8gb ipod touch... i feel they are somewhat overpriced right now... wait a few months and we will have 32 and 64 GB touches at maybe $300 ~ $400 which is a way better deal if you ask me....

i understand why you want one NOW.. they are really freaking cool gadgets.. but if you buy now you'll be paying the price of being an early adopter and as you state on your post you dont have spare $300 laying around, so my advice is to stick to your nano for more time and buy the touch later, maybe xmass or next year

7. swiftaw macrumors 603

swiftaw

Yeah, sorry, you are correct, it's a 10% discount, not a $50 discount.

8. Esviel thread starter macrumors newbie

great, 10%, or $30 is enough.

worst case scenario is that they charge the 7% sales tax on the original price, making it $320, then taking off the 10% for the trade-in, bringing the final cost to $290.

Maybe they won't do that.

Thanks for your advice and for the heads-up.....but I must have one....and my 2GB nano has trained me to choose my songs carefully, and I have adapted by carefully crafting highly organized playlists, ready to sync at a moment's notice. Plus, my entire music collection is around 7 GB.

I'm so ridiculously anxious for friday when I get paid.....................before i go to work I will be at an apple store buying my iPod Touch. I hope they open at 7:00 AM.

9. El Phantasmo macrumors member

hehe.. fair enough, if you MUST have one now then price is no object... just actually having the money lol

good luck on friday morning and enjoy your new toy... :D

10. marykay9507 macrumors 6502a

marykay9507

well, it is $50 on a 32gb, so we were both right:D

11. stainlessliquid macrumors 68000

Do you realize that if you order it online they dont charge tax unless the company is located in your state? The link I posted would cost less than the amount you have and it has free shipping...

12. Esviel thread starter macrumors newbie

True, and I do appreciate your link. However, after reading some customer reviews, I noticed that these iPods don't come with the January software update. Doesn't that specific update (which allows notes, calendar edit, stocks, email, etc) cost $20?

And another thing: I'd have to pay for it through credit card, but my credit limit isn't enough to get it. So I'm forced to take the train to the nearest apple store in philadelphia (which is in the suburbs.....wtf) and get one from there.

Oh well, at least the train ride back will be pretty fun :D

13. Tom B. macrumors 65816

Tom B.

I'm sorry to ruin your fun but you have to sync your iPod touch before it will let you use it.

It will just be on this screen:

[​IMG]

But if you have a laptop with you then you're good to go!

14. LeahM macrumors 6502a

LeahM

I would definately wait. I got one, loved it but it sucked that I could only add a couple (2) movies along with my music. Plus it broke. So I returned it, kept an eye on craigslist and got a 32gb for $400!! And the new applications are included with it.

But why don't you sell your ipod and get a little more, say, sell it for 60-75. Maybe even 100. You never know.

Good luck!

15. jwalker99 macrumors newbie

i ordered an 8gb "original software" refurb this week off the apple site for $229. i got it yesterday, plugged it in, said "yes" to a software update while setting it up (no charge), and it had all the applications (mail, maps, etc). not sure if they sent the wrong model to me or what - but might be worth a try.

aren't you stretching the finances a little thin to be buying a new toy!? it is a great device!

16. steelphantom macrumors 6502a

steelphantom

What are the restrictions on which iPods can be recycled? Could I get a 10% discount on a new iPod if I traded in an iPod Shuffle?

17. Tom B. macrumors 65816

Tom B.

You could even get 10% off a 32GB iPod touch by trading in a broken 512MB iPod shuffle.
    There are no limits.

18. marykay9507 macrumors 6502a

marykay9507

I would double check on that-- my local store said it was any old iPod but the shuffle-- this could have changed though.

19. ipodtouchy333 macrumors 65816

I would wait a little longer. Try to get at least the 16gb cause I got my 8gb when it first came out and even though I loved showing all my friends I feel myself wanting a 16gb really bad and think I might have to sell this a little later. Wait one more month and get the 16gb if there is a price drop.

20. Tom B. macrumors 65816

Tom B.

Maybe you are not supposed to be allowed to trade in a shuffle for the discount, but I have seen, and heard it happen many times.

My suggestion would be to keep asking different Apple Store employees until one of them says you can do it.

Edit: Esviel, if you can afford $30 more, you could get a refurbished 16GB iPod touch.