If I'm a Heavy User of Photoshop Elements.....

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Maclovertoo, May 1, 2012.

1. Maclovertoo macrumors newbie

I'm not a computer professional, so forgive the elementary question.

Would the soon to be expected Ivy Bridge MB Pro make a big impact on my day to day performance?

I really want the Optical Drive and am concerned that the new ones might not have it.

Also, if I were to get the current 15", how would you configure it for optimal performance for heavy use of Photoshop Elements?

Thanks so much for the feedback.

2. heisenberg123 macrumors 603

heisenberg123

yes the current ones can handle Photoshop just fine

3. Medic278 macrumors 6502a

Medic278

I use photoshop cs5 on my MBP 13" dual core i7 and it handles it just fine. IF you want an optical drive then I could go with one of the current gen machines. They are awesome machines and will serve your purposes well

4. sweetbrat macrumors 65816

sweetbrat

I have an early 2011 15" MBP and run Photoshop all the time. It works great. If that's your main concern, consider saving some cash by getting a refurb from Apple. You get the same warranty as new, but you can save a fair amount of $.

5. SDAVE macrumors 68040

SDAVE

Works fine...I push this laptop to it's limits all the time (Photoshop doesn't push it to it's limits). I just hate the loud fan, but that's about it.

6. edk99 macrumors 6502a

Even if the new one does not have it you can ALWAYS get an external one.

7. ixodes macrumors 601

ixodes

A current MBP is what I would suggest. I do a lot of photography, video & films as a hobby. Using a 2011 17" 8GB / 512GB SSD equipped BTO model, it's ideal for me. The upcoming new processor will not make as big of a difference as the marketing people claim. They've got to sell their latest CPU's therefore it's only normal for them to be painted in a superior light.

I've waited in the past for the latest & greatest, and not once have I been blown away by the increase in speed or better battery life. Yes they were incrementally better, but never as great as claimed.

Finally, if you buy now you get a proven product. Newer brings bug and is not always better. Thats my experience talking. Decades worth from one who upgrades at each refresh because I can. Sometimes it's good, sometimes it's not :)

8. Maclovertoo thread starter macrumors newbie

9. gngan macrumors 68000

gngan

If your are worried about not having optical drive in the next MBP then you can wait till it release and see. If it has then get it. If it doesn't have it then get the older MBP (the current version) and save some money too.