If I'm interested in the cMBP should I wait?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by StephenCampbell, Oct 8, 2013.

  1. StephenCampbell macrumors 65816

    Joined:
    Sep 21, 2009
    #1
    I'm just about ready to purchase the 2.9Ghz 13" cMBP just to have a portable machine in addition to my new iMac, and I was thinking of getting it now in case they discontinue it when the MBPs are updated.

    Do you think that even if they discontinue it that there will still be some brand new stock left that they'll sell for a little while? Or will only refurbished stuff be available?

    If you wanted a cMBP as a secondary machine would you get it now or wait to see what happens after the update?
     
  2. blackreplica macrumors member

    Joined:
    Sep 28, 2010
    #2
    Frankly, I'd wait and see. Lotsa guys here think that apple will discontinue the cMBP but personally I don't think consumers are quite ready for that just yet. cMBP is still the affordable entry point for customers who can't live with 128GB disk drives, and I think many such customers still exist.

    Worst case scenario they discontinue the cMBP, you can still pick one up refurb. If they don't update to Haswell and just keep selling the Ivy Bridge, well you can buy that one brand new if you still want one, plus Apple will probably cut the price on them if they don't update that model, so you still benefit. Best case scenario (what I'm hoping for), they update the cMBP with Haswell and you can buy it.

    Definitely no pressing need to buy unless you have to have it right now
     
  3. dylin macrumors 6502a

    dylin

    Joined:
    Jun 10, 2010
    Location:
    California
    #3
    The choice is simple in your case considering you are in dire need of a portable machine :p , and it would be safe to wait.

    Just like blackreplica said, if they discontinue, you can always get a refurbished one. They are practically brand new, and alot of times, the refurbished are news ones that they are just trying to get rid of from stock.

    So just be a bit patient longer and im sure you'll be glad you did :)
     
  4. CmdrLaForge macrumors 68040

    CmdrLaForge

    Joined:
    Feb 26, 2003
    Location:
    around the world
    #4
    Most probably just 2 weeks until you know if the cMBP will be updated, kept as is or dropped. If you can wait, then wait.
     
  5. StephenCampbell thread starter macrumors 65816

    Joined:
    Sep 21, 2009
    #5
    Well the thing is I do want to be able to make sure to get a brand new one in the case that they don't update it.

    Also, I can currently purchase it in the education store for $1,299 (my brother is in college and an Apple representative confirmed to me that's okay), and walk down the street to pick it up from the store.

    If they drop it from the main store I'll be paying at Least that much for a refurbished model... More expensive, not brand new. :-/
     
  6. PDFierro macrumors 68040

    Joined:
    Sep 8, 2009
    #6
    They won't update it, but there is a good chance of it being discontinued. But by waiting you are taking that chance.
     
  7. StephenCampbell thread starter macrumors 65816

    Joined:
    Sep 21, 2009
    #7
    I know what I'll do. I'll buy the current one, and just put it in my closet.

    If they update it, I'll take it back for an effortless, never-opened-box return, and buy the new one.

    If they drop the price of the current one but keep it Ivy Bridge alongside the Haswell rMBP..... would you go and ask to be refunded the difference? Or would you just eat that loss?
     
  8. PDFierro macrumors 68040

    Joined:
    Sep 8, 2009
    #8
    I highly doubt they would drop the price. They already did that in an attempt to clear out more stock. I say it's either being discontinued or staying at the price it's at now.

    People want either the rMBP or the Air these days.
     
  9. StephenCampbell thread starter macrumors 65816

    Joined:
    Sep 21, 2009
    #9
    What's the word on the Haswell update? Do you we know approximately when it's coming?
     
  10. PDFierro macrumors 68040

    Joined:
    Sep 8, 2009
    #10
    For the rMBP? By the end of the month. Probably either the 22nd or the 29th.
     
  11. sarakn macrumors 6502a

    sarakn

    Joined:
    Feb 8, 2013
    #11
    I was considering purchasing a cMBP for home use, but I will wait until the rMBPs are released. As newer products get released, older products drop in price.
     
  12. StephenCampbell thread starter macrumors 65816

    Joined:
    Sep 21, 2009
    #12
    Well after thinking it through and reading up on it I decided to just bite the bullet.

    There's essentially no chance that the cMBP is going to get Haswell. Why would they do that? It would be totally inconsistent with their current philosophy and where they are going. They're getting rid of machines with optical drives.

    In addition, I just learned that if an item I've bought gets updated, I'm allowed to exchange it for the newer model within 30 days of purchase, so even in the very unlikely event that that does happen, I'll be able to get the new one easily.

    And if they keep the Ivy Bridge cMBP around and drop the price even more, while the rMBP gets Haswell.... then I spent a bit too much, but the chances of that happening are lower than the chances of the cMBP being dropped (or at least the 13" being dropped) when the Haswell update comes.
     
  13. StephenCampbell thread starter macrumors 65816

    Joined:
    Sep 21, 2009
    #13
    Hah, well it shipped! Before the iMac that I ordered on September 30th.

    It'll be here this week. :D

    I hope they drop the cMBP on October 22nd so that I'm clever for having snatched it now. :p

    In any case, I'm actually really excited to be getting this fantastic machine. The aluminum 13" form factor with the optical drive has always been my favorite, and this laptop will make an excellent accompaniment to my new 27" iMac. It has a geekbench score about 2,000 more than my current Mac Pro tower, and 2GB more ram than what I'm currently using.. so even my new secondary-portable-machine in my new Mac universe will be a solid upgrade from my current Pro tower!
     

Share This Page