Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bordway

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 2, 2011
Would you have to be jailbroken to install it? Do you have to have a dev account to get it and use it legally? Of you torrent a leaked version does it install easily?

Just being impatient haha so many people I know got dev slots and already have iOS 5 and I'm jealous.

apunkrockmonk

macrumors 6502a
Nov 20, 2005
Rochester, NY
You'd need to be a Dev to use it legally. But in the past iOS GMs have not had the UUID checks that beta releases have had. Meaning you could install it easily once you got your hands on it.

bordway

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 2, 2011
So the average person could install it with no hack or anything required after downloading it?

Catdogchicken

macrumors regular
Sep 13, 2011
Sheffield UK
Would you have to be jailbroken to install it? Do you have to have a dev account to get it and use it legally? Of you torrent a leaked version does it install easily?

Just being impatient haha so many people I know got dev slots and already have iOS 5 and I'm jealous.

You will be able to install the GM without having a developer account. The GM will be on all the freshly made iPhone 4S / 5's out of the box.

Krandor

macrumors 6502
Jul 15, 2010
If you are not a dev and decide to install the GM please remember that apps are not yet updated for 5.0 (that is what the GM is for is to let devs do final testing for submittal to Apple so the 5.0 compatible apps are available when 5.0 goes live).

So, do not complain to devs about apps not working with iOS5 and do not write negative reviews about them until the final release of 5 is out.

Devs cannot put iOS5 apps in the app store until final release so just because an app doesn't work with the GM doesn't mean it hasn't already been fixed to work with iOS5 and will be available on general release.

QuarterSwede

macrumors G3
Oct 1, 2005
Colorado Springs, CO
Generally GMs will be the final release. Every once in a while there ends up being a show stopping bug that makes them update it before release.

Sure it's illegal but you're honestly not going to harm Apple or anyone else as long as expect ZERO support from them, MacRumors or anyone else.

edk99

macrumors 6502a
May 27, 2009
FL
You don't have to worry about tomorrow because there is a 100% chance that it won't be out tomorrow. Probably next week at the earliest with release to public about a week after that.

acfusion29

macrumors 68040
Nov 8, 2007
Toronto
You'd need to be a Dev to use it legally. But in the past iOS GMs have not had the UUID checks that beta releases have had. Meaning you could install it easily once you got your hands on it.

the only helpful post in this thread...

It's not suggested. It is ILLEGAL.
You can, but it's piracy which is illegal.

lol ok internet police. let me guess, you also go around other websites screaming about how illegal everything is. you think your post is gonna stop someone?

Discussing it here is against forum rules.

lol

this forum is going down hill :rolleyes:

batting1000

macrumors 604
Sep 4, 2011
Florida
the only helpful post in this thread...

lol ok internet police. let me guess, you also go around other websites screaming about how illegal everything is. you think your post is gonna stop someone?

lol

this forum is going down hill :rolleyes:

I was just radioed here by another officer. What seems to be the problem?

Dumbledorelives

macrumors 6502
Oct 24, 2010
If they don't use the UDID checks on the GM like they have in the past, they obviously don't mind people who aren't Devs using it. If they didn't want others to use it, it would still have the UDID checks. The OP's question is perfectly valid - he's asking if the checks are there or not.

jacollins

macrumors 6502a
Jun 19, 2010

I would add that if something screws up on the install, you're not going to get much support if you're not a Dev. Personally, with this much changing in the OS this time around, I'd wait a bit and see how the guinea pigs work out the kinks first. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.