If IOS 5 works on your IP4 would you switch?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by jimbo1mcm, May 15, 2011.

1. jimbo1mcm macrumors 68000

If a IOS 5 software update comes out and works on the IP4, what would it take to switch to a new IP5 ? I think it becomes a difficult decision. Would you jump for a faster GPU? or a slightly larger screen? I am not sure I would....but then again when I walk into an Apple store I lose all control.

2. rwilliams macrumors 68040

rwilliams

Since iOS 5 is pretty much sure to work on the iPhone 4, I will not upgrade. Even if it didn't, it would take something revolutionary in the OS or phone hardware for me to part with the iPhone 4 after just a year. I love this thing.

3. iApples macrumors 65816

iApples

I most likely won't be making the upgrade this time around. I'm still really enjoying my iPhone 4 and I'm pretty happy with it. iOS 5 is what I'm really excited for. If the iPhone 5 turns out to be something really amazing (Features that I'm not able to get with the iPhone 4) Perhaps I'll consider the upgrade. Only problem is I'm still stuck on contract for a while. =\

4. Reach9 macrumors 68020

Reach9

iOS 5 will definitely work for the iPhone 4. It's in their agreement. However, some hardware specific features might be omitted from the iPhone 4, and knowing Apple it'll probably be a big feature and will say that "the iPhone 4 can't handle it", forcing people to upgrade.

5. Cod3rror macrumors 68000

Cod3rror

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148a Safari/6533.18.5)

They'll do that for 3GS probably, 4 should get all the big features.

6. Mikey86uk macrumors 6502

7. Brien macrumors 68020

Brien

I'll be upgrading because I want a white iPhone, and it's just plain silly for me to sell my iPhone now when I can wait 3 months and get a white iPhone 5.

8. lympero macrumors 6502a

lympero

How are u so sure at io5 will be usable on ip4? 4.3.3 is causing problems to many users with choppy animations etc. Imagine ios5!

9. LoganT macrumors 68020

I've had no issues on my iPhone 4 with 4.3.3. And if some are having a problem it's most likely a bug.

10. daneoni macrumors G4

daneoni

No offense but i think thats only causing issues to OCD users. I'm very picky and even i have no issues with iOS animations.

As for the OP, I'm not sure if i'll upgrade. It'll depend on how compelling iPhone 4S/5 is, how compatible iP4 is with iOS 5 (hopefully 100%) and how much resale value my current iP4 commands.

I'm not locked into any contract so i have the flexibility either way when the time comes.

11. Phil A. Moderator

Phil A.

Staff Member

Wirelessly posted (iPhone 4: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

I'll turn the question around and say that if IOS 5 doesn't work on the iPhone 4, I'll change platform to WebOS or Android.
    There's no way in hell Apple would make a phone that's barely a year old obsolete but if they did, then it would be time for me to find a new bandwagon.