If iOS 7 is so buggy...

Technarchy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2012
More likely it's just well rehearsed with 100 engineers telling the bosses "Dont do that on stage"

Rogifan

macrumors Core
Nov 14, 2011
iOS 7 developer preview 1 is actually fairly stable for the most part (aside from missing functionalities), but there are two features that will often bring it to its knee:

1. Background App Refresh: This feature will suck battery like crazy and frequently causes iOS to complete lock up. I strongly recommend turning it off.

2. Multitasking tray: Tinkering with it will eventually cause iOS to reboot. Don't use it.
None of this will be fixed before iOS 7 ships?

tymaster50

macrumors 68030
Oct 3, 2012
New Jersey
Come on guys, why would they use the same version of ios 7 beta the devs are using? It's most likely beta 2/3 or a special version with only a features that they wanted to present, or special hardware in the iPhone 5. Remember they've been working on this for months. They probably have several betas ready for themselves.

NovemberWhiskey

macrumors 68040
May 18, 2009
Then what was Craig demoing on the stage?

The images looked really crisp, clear and sharp on screen, yet people seem to be reporting entirely different experiences on their phones. :confused:
They showed snapshots of what the user experience is like for Beta1. I used it for a whole night before I ran into the respring problems.

And there is no way to show the battery drain in a short demo.

This shouldn't be that confusing.

batting1000

macrumors 604
Sep 4, 2011
Florida
I'm not convinced they used unreleased hardware. I have no doubt that iOS 7 will be lag free in a future beta on the iPhone 5,

phpmaven

macrumors 68040
Jun 12, 2009
San Clemente, CA USA
iOS 7 developer preview 1 is actually fairly stable for the most part (aside from missing functionalities), but there are two features that will often bring it to its knee:

1. Background App Refresh: This feature will suck battery like crazy and frequently causes iOS to complete lock up. I strongly recommend turning it off.

2. Multitasking tray: Tinkering with it will eventually cause iOS to reboot. Don't use it.
Really? Mine crashes and freezes all the time. Sometimes it just randomly reboots when I'm doing something. This is the buggiest beta I've seen. "Stable" is certainly not a word I would use in connection with this build, "fairly" or not.

cualexander

macrumors 6502a
Apr 3, 2006
Charlotte, NC
And you think it was just an off the shelf phone? If so, you are naive.

I don't have many bugs... at least, not with the default apps. Most bugs are with other apps.
Exactly. Apple has used iPhones in past presentations that had screen mirroring way before screen mirroring was actually released. They don't use normal iPhones in their demos. They are always custom ones.

jutte64

macrumors regular
Apr 28, 2009
Fort Recovery , OH
My guess is the phone they were using was a fresh phone off the shelf, that has had nothing done to it other then updating the software to some beta (2-3+) version of iOS 7. That would eliminate all interference of third party apps. They put a few contacts and songs on there for the demo. Also the phone was plugged in the whole time it was on stage so there would have been no way of seeing any sort of battery drain on the device.

hoosier205

macrumors newbie
Jun 11, 2013
Exactly. Apple has used iPhones in past presentations that had screen mirroring way before screen mirroring was actually released. They don't use normal iPhones in their demos. They are always custom ones.
That doesn't indicate custom hardware, but rather custom software. :rolleyes:

iBreatheApple

macrumors 68030
Sep 3, 2011
Florida
Come on guys, why would they use the same version of ios 7 beta the devs are using? It's most likely beta 2/3 or a special version with only a features that they wanted to present, or special hardware in the iPhone 5. Remember they've been working on this for months. They probably have several betas ready for themselves.
Why would they even release beta one, then, if they already have the fixes in future betas, lol. You probably hit the nail on the other part, though. They were probably running a custom, more watered-down version for the conference to ensure the best possible presentation.

batting1000

macrumors 604
Sep 4, 2011
Florida
Why would they even release beta one, then, if they already have the fixes in future betas, lol. You probably hit the nail on the other part, though. They were probably running a custom, more watered-down version for the conference to ensure the best possible presentation.
To garner more feedback from developers and to improve on the new beta they already have semi-done. If you check out the bugs thread, there's a SLEW of tiny bugs in iOS 7 (none of them too major). Imagine how many bug reports they get daily from developers. It would take forever to go through those. It wouldn't surprise me at all if they were using / started working on beta 2 already in order to get a headstart on fixing bugs. I'm sure Apple has people who are using the beta on a daily basis in order to get some real world testing.

Zorn

macrumors 65816
Feb 14, 2006
Ohio
It's fairly widely accepted that the version of 7 being shown at WWDC on stage was a later build than what was released as beta 1. I think we will see a pretty substantial update when the second beta gets pushed out.

iBreatheApple

macrumors 68030
Sep 3, 2011
Florida
To garner more feedback from developers and to improve on the new beta they already have semi-done. If you check out the bugs thread, there's a SLEW of tiny bugs in iOS 7 (none of them too major). Imagine how many bug reports they get daily from developers. It would take forever to go through those. It wouldn't surprise me at all if they were using / started working on beta 2 already in order to get a headstart on fixing bugs. I'm sure Apple has people who are using the beta on a daily basis in order to get some real world testing.
But if they already have a fix then there is nothing to address. And if the new fix doesn't address it properly, devs still wouldn't know until they have that beta to try it on.

nutmac

macrumors 601
Mar 30, 2004
Really? Mine crashes and freezes all the time. Sometimes it just randomly reboots when I'm doing something. This is the buggiest beta I've seen. "Stable" is certainly not a word I would use in connection with this build, "fairly" or not.
Mine used to do that too until I disabled background app refresh and stopped using multitasking tray.