If ipad 2 isn't dual core im passing

Discussion in 'iPad' started by wakeborder556, Mar 2, 2011.

1. wakeborder556 macrumors regular

Dual core is here now, with phones out with it. Buying an iPad without dual core really is buying a last gen model.

Thoughts?

2. poloponies macrumors 68030

Hold on a sec....

wakeborder556 -- passing if no dual core... got it. Okay I noted it on the list. Keep us updated.

3. xraydoc macrumors demi-god

xraydoc

But what if the processor is 50% or more faster than the current iPad? Even if it isn't a dual core unit, does it really matter? Apps & OS APIs have to be written for two cores anyway. Sometimes (many times) a single, faster core is better than two slower ones.

Don't judge a device based on specs alone.

4. nmills macrumors regular

I'm buying it regardless, because I don't have one :D

5. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

To each his own.

I plan on buying it regardless of that. I purposefully held off on iPad 1 until iPad 2 so I can reap any benefits of their experience with the first ever [tablet] and enjoy the improvements.

I don't think there is much need for me to have a powerful CPU on it as I will mainly use it for eBooks, eMail, and web surfing.

For me, if it has the dual core CPU, great, if not, no big deal.

6. fertilized-egg macrumors 68020

While I'm fairly sure it'll be a dual core, I do wonder about the utility of it. Not that I wouldn't prefer a dual core, but what if they could make a faster single core instead? (say, 1.5ghz instead of 1.2ghz) I wonder if a device like the iPad will benefit more from a faster single core like that rather than a dual core.

7. macsolo macrumors newbie

lol........Stop the Press, he doesn't want it

wakeborder556. I'm kinda with you. If it doesn't have feature I want I might consider something else.

8. ozred macrumors 6502

It's going to have the only thing it needs, an Apple Logo.

Think Simple :)

9. wwooden macrumors 68000

wwooden

Best response of the day.

10. Pressure macrumors 68040

Pressure

Thanks, this thread was very much needed!

Good thing poloponies are keeping track :D

11. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Prepare to be dissapointed then.

I expect a 1.2 - 1.4ghz A4 single core.

We already know there is no massive hardware leap this gen, and ipad software is not suddenly going to require double processing power all of a sudden, so there is no 'economical' reason for Apple to put a more expensive part in the ipad 2 than needed.

Graphics will be bolstered with the introduction of the SGX543 and the 512mb of ram will take care of multitasking and browsing experience.

So what more does it need ? Why does it need a dual core ? If the software is not crying out for it - then it's simply unnecessary, and Apple does not release hardware simply to appease the 'hardware spec' fanatics.

iPad 2 will address fundamental issues with the first, lack of camera, and browser reloading issues. Other than that, it doesn't need to do a pile more at this stage.

Any massive leap in hardware specs will cause a fragmentation of application / software that is simply unneeded at the moment. When and if Apple switch to a higher res display, then we will need dual core gpu/cpu and possibly 1GB. Applications can at that point then be offered as iPad Retina HD versions, but with the iPad 2 sticking to 1024x768 we really do not need this at the moment.

Iphone 3 is to the 3GS as iPad is to iPad 2.

12. poloponies macrumors 68030

I just assumed Twitter was down.

13. fertilized-egg macrumors 68020

Even if it's just a single core, an updated Cortex-A9 core would make a lot of difference.

14. henrikrox macrumors 65816

henrikrox

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; nb-no) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

I Think i won't buy one I'f it doesn't got dual core. Apps will benefit hugely from
    Two cores. Good graphics.

What you don't know it seems that it's much better to have two cores running at 1.0ghz instead of one core running 1.0ghz.

Also two cores does amazing this to battery life. But it seems you guys doesn't know that.

15. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

We also doesn't know grammar ;)

16. henrikrox macrumors 65816

henrikrox

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; nb-no) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

Jesus dude. You don't get double processing power just because you get one more core. Where do you learn stuff.

Think battery

17. Carouser macrumors 65816

+1 to poloponies

Who cares if it has dual core or if someone on the internet considers it 'last gen'. If it works well and is a pleasure to use that's all that will matter to most people.

18. iPad 2nd Gen macrumors regular

Thats dumb because what if it performs like a dual core but with just one core?

19. michael.lauden macrumors 68020

michael.lauden

+1

That was a pretty good one.

Although - I have to agree with the OP. If it were dual core with a gig of RAM, front facing camera, and a better screen I would think about it. I probably won't buy an iPad until next year - after Lion has been out for a while and more super awesome radical features are introduced between the two. I still need less of a gap between mobile and computers, and I'm still not quite sold on what exactly the point of an iPad is (especially for me, with a MacBook and iPhone).

20. henrikrox macrumors 65816

henrikrox

Good comeback. Sorry I'm not from USA so it's not my main language. But way to keep to the topic.

Just because guys don't know have CPUs work

21. nonameowns macrumors regular

so if phones got it, must ipad have it too?

ipad is not a phone

and what dual core would benefit you? multitasking is not the purpose for ipad, get a laptop.

22. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

I realise that, but my point remains the same. We do not need dual core at the moment.

If we have an enhanced single core CPU and the new significantly improved SGX543, alongside 512mb of ram - those alone will significantly improve the power of the ipad.

Also battery life at 10hours is more than any competitor offers who are using 'dual core' so yes... think battery.

23. Tailpike1153 macrumors 6502a

Tailpike1153

+100.

24. michael.lauden macrumors 68020

michael.lauden

http://goo.gl/32RWL #2

and if we were judging devices based on specs alone - wouldn't we have all those silly phones saying FASTEST PHONE EVER 1.2GHZ OOOO

Single cores can be faster than double cores if the clock speeds are higher - but that would add heat and take away from battery life wouldn't it? If that wasn't true then why are all of these companies creating new multicore mobile processors - and if they are truly not as 'good' as single cores - why does MR think so with all the posts popping up every once in a while detailing them and how 'they could be the next iPhone/iPad/etc cpu?

25. OneMike macrumors 601

OneMike

I will be buying day 1 regardless what the specs are. Sold the old iPad and it's for the kids so no choice.