If iPad 2 launches 03/11 why cant pre order!

Discussion in 'iPad' started by imac abuser, Mar 3, 2011.

1. imac abuser macrumors 6502a

imac abuser

If the iPad 2 comes out on 03/11 why the hell can't we pre-order. This sucks I'm not standing in line for hours so I guess I get screwed on getting one on launch day...

2. Davichi macrumors 6502

That's how apple wants to do it. They are the seller and you are the buyer. Don't like it, then let others have it.

Apple is doing this friday at 5PM on purpose. They want those news media to come out and show off people waiting to buy iPad 2. They want to see the lines. They launched VZ iphone 4 with pre-order and opened the store at 7 am. It failed.

Not this time. Apple wants to make sure there are lines.

3. Kadin macrumors 6502a

Kadin

How are you getting screwed? Preordering isn't a right, it's a convenience. Apple wants people in their store, plain and simple. You can order it on the 11th and get it a few days later if you can't be bothered to go to the store. Oh and don't forget, you also have Best Buy and Sam's Club along with Walmart to look at.

4. darngooddesign macrumors G3

So get it a couple of days later.

5. iPad 2nd Gen macrumors regular

Because of the psychology of it. If people put aside $499 on a device they cant get yet they have a lot of time to reconsider and ultimately retract their preorder. That's what stupid people do.

Also, Apple wants lines.

6. iKrl macrumors regular

There won't be as many people in those places so you should go there, Apple fans will most likely go to the Apple Stores to line up.

7. MacAttraction macrumors newbie

MacAttraction

Pretty sure FedEx, or any other delivery company, does not want to go through the headaches they had, in the way the first iPad delivery was scheduled! :)

8. Kadin macrumors 6502a

Kadin

Or the fun iPhone 4 debacle. The phone was on the truck to be delivered and then Apple notifies FedEx to hang onto it for another day. Day taken off for nothing, ha ha.

9. ajvizzgamer101 macrumors 65816

I myself am a little annoyed at no pre-orders. They should allow a few thousand to pre-order.

10. vincenz macrumors 601

vincenz

That's what I was thinking. Apple wants to see lines for every new iPhone or iPad. It's the only reason why it's at 5 PM. Makes me wonder if theyll do the same for the iPhone this summer.

11. Gryzor macrumors 6502

Order when you can and wait like the rest of us. Hardly a life changing problem.

12. iserian macrumors 6502

Because it's Magical.

13. shakeman0 macrumors 6502a

shakeman0

I totally agree with you. I watched the entire key note waiting for word on pre-order...

14. camelsnot macrumors 6502

camelsnot

I wonder what time they'll hit the websites. They won't do a "you must wait till 5pm local (your time) to buy an ipad online from us". The internet doesn't do local time... in cases like this.

Also, I wonder if sites like Best Buy will offer buying online for local pick up at the store on Friday. It would be money to walk in the store and have one reserved for you which you bought online right before you left.

15. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Given your user name, it is just Steve Jobs' way of personally making your life miserable.:p

Just order it online and get over it.:rolleyes:

16. mac jones macrumors 68040

A very good question.

Most likely supply. Can't think of any other (non-conspiracy) reason :D

17. neko girl macrumors 6502a

neko girl

Maybe Apple wants crowds at Apple stores. Free publicity they might have missed out on with the Verizon iPhone a little..

18. jclardy macrumors 68040

jclardy

Both iPad 1 and iPhone 4 (AT&T) had in-store reservations (to pickup on launch day) and online pre-orders, but both had long lines (Especially the iPhone 4).

19. AppleGoddess macrumors 6502a

AppleGoddess

no pre orders yet as the FCC has not approved it yet.

20. WLS macrumors 65816

Actually I see it as a good thing that there are no preorders.
    It avoids the delivery muckups we have all see. Packages delayed and even delivered early, theft,having to wait for the packages etc. Instead of putting a lot of production aside for preorders they are pushing them out to the retailers including the new ones they picked up over the year- Walmart and Target to be specific.
    So this means there will be a good chance you can go to a retailer near you and they will have inventory if not you can go to another. That's a good thing!

21. Mystikal macrumors 68020

Mystikal

There werent lines for the iPhone 4? Where did you buy yours?

22. gswilder macrumors regular

Maybe Earlier?

Based on previous Apple releases, I still wouldn't be surprised if they don't do preordering before the 11th. I doubt they want to crash their servers. May start late on the day before or the morning of the 11th.

23. Davichi macrumors 6502

Are you not reading? It says VZ iPhone 4, not iPhone 4. There weren't that many lines for VZ iphone 4.

24. gigaguy macrumors 65816

Some are saying supplies will be tight, so Apple would rather there be a definite supply on launch day, rather than have news saying how upset people were cause there were NO iPads on launch day, (cause all the pre-orders could have gotten most of the supply).
    I think it's PR based, to get the most promotional impact and least negative news on launch day. plus I read Apple thinks they under estimated what the initial sales would be.

25. ghostlyorb macrumors 6502a

ghostlyorb

I have connections I'm trying to work out so I can walk right into the store at 5 without standing in line.. and if that fails... ordering online! Gas is expensive anyway.. Black with a blue case! (unless I switch back to the White) and idk either the 16 or 32GB...