If iPad 3 gets retina display...

Discussion in 'iPad' started by maev, Oct 27, 2011.

1. maev macrumors newbie

Then what about all the software written for iPad 1 / 2?

I'm planning to get my very own iPad, but I decided to wait till march for the third revision of this awesome hardware. Yet if the rumors are true, retina will launch the screen resolution of third iPad into oblivion...

Does that mean that all the previous software will become obsolete? With stretched / blurry graphics intedned primarily for 1024x768 resolution as the
    only option to have fun with. Or devs will force us to wait for endless stream of patches?

Ability to scale up graphics would be awesome in upcoming revision.

What do you guys think?

It might be a silly question, but I'm all new into Apple.

2. Pressure macrumors 68040

Pressure

Look at the transition from the iPhone 3GS to iPhone 4.

It's basically the same here.

3. Dangerous Theory macrumors 68000

The screen size isn't changing, only the pixel density. Old 1024x768 images will look the same on an iPad 3 as an iPad 2. It will naturally take some time for developers to enhance their apps to include the higher-resolution imagery. Nothing will be obsolete.

4. OSMac macrumors 65816

1 pixel becomes a 4 pixel 2x2 square, sharp as ever.

5. boomhower macrumors 68000

boomhower

Developers will update their apps quickly, don't sweat it.

6. Piggie macrumors 604

Piggie

I asked the question a few months ago on here, and the majority of people here then still felt the iPad3 would not get a "Retina Display" or rather the 2048x1536 that we think Apple will jump to.
    And perhaps it would be iPad4 or something that would get the new screen.

It still sounds like the companies who are the ones who actually make the hardware (not Apple) are struggling to make screens like this in the quantity needed for major production runs. They can make samples it seems, but that's very different to making millions.

And be honest, we don't want another bad/dodgy screen scenario yet again as we had with the iPad2 for the first few months and all the backlighting issues.