Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wetcanvas

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 7, 2014
i have Fios broadband with very fast internet speeds and iPad is suppose to be fast yet all I have to do is go to a web page that scrolls and you can see a blank image where it hasn't been rendered yet then the page appears a few seconds later. This has to be the most annoying thing with my tablet. On my computer everything renders fine you can scroll np without seeing blank pages. When will iPad be fast enough for this not to happen.

azentropy

macrumors 601
Jul 19, 2002
Surprise
i have Fios broadband with very fast internet speeds and iPad is suppose to be fast yet all I have to do is go to a web page that scrolls and you can see a blank image where it hasn't been rendered yet then the page appears a few seconds later. This has to be the most annoying thing with my tablet. On my computer everything renders fine you can scroll np without seeing blank pages. When will iPad be fast enough for this not to happen.

It is a low memory issue that happens in Safari with certain websites. If you following these steps to "force close" Safari and then reopen does it improve?
  1. Press the Home button two times quickly. You'll see small previews of your recently used apps.
  2. Swipe left to find the app you want to close.
  3. Swipe up on the app's preview to close it.

Reactions: Beavix

barkomatic

macrumors 601
Aug 8, 2008
Manhattan
It's not so much the loading, which is very quick, it's the reloadoding. Low RAM. Although I love my iPad 9.7 it's clear I'll be buying another in a year or two.

wetcanvas

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 7, 2014
I am using the pro 9.7 right now and I have issues with scrolling on many pages with a lot of images. It's scrolls down only so much then I get a blank area that doesn't appear until after the scrolling is complete. Maybe I just have bad luck but my MacBook air is definitely faster and doesn't do that. I am using safari web browser. Also this does not happen on the macrumors site. The macrumors site is instantaneous

TheRealAlex

macrumors 68030
Sep 2, 2015
I am using the pro 9.7 right now and I have issues with scrolling on many pages with a lot of images. It's scrolls down only so much then I get a blank area that doesn't appear until after the scrolling is complete. Maybe I just have bad luck but my MacBook air is definitely faster and doesn't do that. I am using safari web browser. Also this does not happen on the macrumors site. The macrumors site is instantaneous

Same thing happened to me trying tmz.com as a test page its a very busy heavy page with lots of animations audio and different things going on. I just cleared my browser cache no problems.

wetcanvas

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 7, 2014
I tested patreon website. Went to patreon then clicked featured then in the left column drawing and painting. Trying to scroll after that leaves blanks both scrolling down and up.

I tried clearing the history and this stopped it from happening. I haven't had the iPad Pro 9.7 inch that long. How often is it suggested to clear history assuming it has fixed it for me everywhere else.

Last edited:

Channan

macrumors 68030
Mar 7, 2012
New Orleans
Can you post an example site?

lockerc18

macrumors 6502a
May 17, 2012
I don't have an IPP, but I've seen slow page loading on every device I have, including my rMBP, for every browser. I know I have a good internet connection (50 mbs) and I have a fast system. So, it's not the technology that's slowing things down. I believe the slowness is due to the number of third party sites which are connected to when you go to a site. I downloaded a Firefox add-on called Lightbeam to see what other sites are connected to, and there are lots of them. Macrumors has just a few, but cnn.com will connect to 27 other sites when you go to their home page. Some of these are content sites, since they have so many page elements to load. But lots of them are ad sites or tracking sites, and these will slow you down.

The point is that it may not be the device that is slow, it could be all the background connections to other sites that go on when to go to a particular home page. Not all sites do this to the same degree, but the more commercial a site is, the more you'll see it.

Having said all this, I do have an iPad3 which can be slow due to the many page reloads that happen (Safari), and that could be because of the iPad3 itself. I can only imagine how fast a 9.7 IPP is by comparison. One of these days...

zhenya

macrumors 604
Jan 6, 2005
Tried both the suggested websites on my iPP 9.7 and no blank images and smooth scrolling.

There are definitely sites where things won't always work smoothly on iOS, but that is getting more and more rare, and frankly the performance of those sites sucks on a regular computer as well.

I do use an adblocker on all of my devices which helps performance (and battery life) immensely. As @lockerc18 mentions, the sheer number of external connections made by many modern websites is astounding.

Reactions: aarond12

minicard

macrumors regular
Oct 31, 2014
Oregon
I had the same problem. It was solved by changing my router. Before the change my speed was averaging 2-5 Mbps and after I am in the 40mbps range.

BenTrovato

macrumors 68040
Jun 29, 2012
Canada
I tested patreon website. Went to patreon then clicked featured then in the left column drawing and painting. Trying to scroll after that leaves blanks both scrolling down and up.

I tried clearing the history and this stopped it from happening. I haven't had the iPad Pro 9.7 inch that long. How often is it suggested to clear history assuming it has fixed it for me everywhere else.

I find it's more memory management than the history. What works for me is force quitting the app. When I relaunch Safari, it will work fine.. until it happens again.

iSheep5S

macrumors 6502a
Jun 4, 2013
Scotland
I noticed this too. My 2011 MacBook Air loads sites in a split second. Not so all the time on the 12.9" iPad Pro which is apparently faster.

I'm noticing how many web pages are mobile format only on safari. They have a low resolution header banner which makes me leave instantly.

As is said often. Hopefully iOS 10 fixes the issue.

AddisonIII

macrumors regular
May 8, 2013
I have an iPad Air 2 and have this happening, since the last few iOS 9.3 updates. I believe this will go away once all the bugs get cleared up. Hopefully in the next update.

NT1440

macrumors G5
May 18, 2008

It all comes down to how the web page was designed. A crappy website will load all of the ads (which take forever regardless of your machine), all the social media plugins, all the trackers, before it even finishes the content itself.

Blame the web page designers, not your hardware.

I use Ghostery on my mac, it's night and day how much faster everything loads without all those trackers and social media plugins running.

ron7624

macrumors 68020
Oct 14, 2011
Houston, Texas area
It all comes down to how the web page was designed. A crappy website will load all of the ads (which take forever regardless of your machine), all the social media plugins, all the trackers, before it even finishes the content itself.

Blame the web page designers, not your hardware.

I use Ghostery on my mac, it's night and day how much faster everything loads without all those trackers and social media plugins running.
This

SoYoung

macrumors 65816
Jul 3, 2015
I thought my Air 2 was the fastest web browsing I've ever experienced. The Pro 9.7 took it to a new level. Using Chrome.
Honestly, since the air 2 I think the speed of web browsing reach a point of a computer-like speed. I see no difference between my air 2 and 12.9 ipad pro for the speed of web browsing, or if it has one, its very, very minimal. The difference is in the other task speeds for me.

And btw I have a very fast internet connection (7-8MB/sec up)

There is a huge difference between device speed and Internet speed. You might have a blazing fast computer (or iPad if you are picky about names) but if your Internet speed is 1 Mbps or you have a weak signal your still going to be sucking air when it comes to retrieving websites. Likewise, if you are downloading a bunch of apps in the background, you are soaking up all of your available bandwidth and won't be able to download a webpage quickly.

As a side note, it also depends on what webpage you are trying to navigate to. If the webpage is under heavy load from other users in the world or it just has a lot of content and scripts on it, it will take a long time to load. I'm starting to get into HTML optimizations so I'm going to stop there. To keep it simple, if you are going to a webpage with a lot of ads or going to a webpage that decides to load up all of it's scripts (that may be super lengthy) before it loads the text and/or images, then yeah, you're going to notice some performance hits.

Try loading Google.com or Apple.com and see how fast they load if you have Internet speeds above 10Mbps with no other downloads and are noticing performance drops. Otherwise I'd suggest go to a friends house who has faster Internet and try the site again before upping your bandwidth.
[doublepost=1462423325][/doublepost]Also, FIOS is quick, but if I'm not mistaken they throttle when you've reach a certain data cap, if they don't just charge you your first born child for going over your limit.

s2mikey

Suspended
Sep 23, 2013
Upstate, NY
I have to agree that sometimes my Air 1 is slow with loading webpages. But its inconsistent. There are times when I hit a "fat" website but it loads right away. other times a page that would seem "light" takes a while. Could be based on the ads and what the webpage is loading - all that stuff. Ive read that ad blockers can help but Ive never tried one. I know that the Air 1 has a lack of RAM but that doesnt account for some sites loading super fast and others not. ????

akdj

macrumors 65816
Mar 10, 2008
62.88°N/-151.28°W
I noticed this too. My 2011 MacBook Air loads sites in a split second. Not so all the time on the 12.9" iPad Pro which is apparently faster.

I'm noticing how many web pages are mobile format only on safari. They have a low resolution header banner which makes me leave instantly.

As is said often. Hopefully iOS 10 fixes the issue.

Hold your 'refresh' button down in SmartSearch bar, it'll give you the option for the desktop site. The 12.9" iPP IS faster than your '11 MBA. Go to desktop sites, then scroll, it'll haul ba&^lls! I've both the 12.9 and 9.7" iPPs and they're fast as hell on Safari. Crappy code can f a site up much faster than your hardware though (and in mobile, NO processors are beating the A9x's in Browsing/SnSpdr, et al).

I think a lot of mobile sites are optimized for 'just that', mobile. Grab the desktop site, and you'll find it screams. My 12.9" and 9.7" Pros both nearly match the performance of my 15" rMBP 2.8/16/1TB machine, and it's no slouch. They're certainly the fastest iPads to date (and EVERY iPad version has bested the previous, as well as led the pack for the ½ year before ...once in a blue moon, an Android SoC happens to get close in SS/Octane or a different browsing/CPU workload. the Doubling of RAM in the latest devices, quadrupling in the iPP 12.9 eliminates the Saf tab reload issues from the past.

I was actually filling in a response the other day, forgot or was sidetracked and two days later clicked 'er on, had to do sec code as it was too long a delay for finger, popped up with a ½ dozen tabs open in Safari, all my info filled in as well as response ½ written, exactly in same position the page was when I walked away.

I think you're seeing the crappy coding on some of the mobile presentations of sites. As well, it's not really normal to open a busy site like FB and scroll as fast as possible to race to the bottom. You can go from bottom to top immediately, without 'white spots' or delay by tapping to of display - under clock, regardless of business or 'code issues', you'll be back to the top in a ½ second.

...Assuming you're using Safari and a recent, 2-4GB RAM device.

J

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.