All iPads if iPad Mini and iPad Air have the same specs...

Discussion in 'iPad' started by keatth, Oct 28, 2013.

1. keatth macrumors 6502

2. Count Blah macrumors 68040

Count Blah

3. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

That's what I'm waiting for. The Mini Air Retina. Or the Air Mini. Like the Air Jordan, only iPad...

4. zbarvian macrumors 68010

New name = new shiny product in mind of Apple consumers. They're trying to stimulate demand for the Air and take some off the Mini. Plus, the Mini got thicker and heavier, unlike the Air.

5. rovex macrumors 65816

More interesting how both stack up in terms of battery life. Both quoted as 10 hours, the mini seeing an increased battery size while the air's has shrunk.

6. filmbuff macrumors 6502a

filmbuff

It did need a new name. How long can they keep calling it "the new ipad" or "ipad with retina display"?

I hope they don't come out with an iPad pro, because I plan on buying the Air and I will be very upset if they come out with a better one 6 months later :D

7. nostresshere macrumors 68030

I don't get the question.

They named the 5th gen Ipad the Ipad Air. So that is what it is.

8. mcdj macrumors G3

mcdj

9. Tubamajuba macrumors 68020

The iPad air is indeed a "new shiny product" regardless of its name. It's faster, slimmer, and of course being slimmer is a product of the new design. It may not be a new product line, but it's certainly a welcome refresh to the iPad series.

10. zbarvian macrumors 68010

The iPad 2 was a quantum leap from the OG, but it didn't get the moniker Air. Heck, even the iPhone has had major changes for 7 iterations, and they're sticking to the same naming convention. There's another reason for naming it as such, and I think it's to attract new buyers or buyers who might've previously gone to the Air. It's all about mindshare.

11. Tubamajuba macrumors 68020

I see what you're saying, and there's no doubt that at least part of the "Air" name is due to marketing. But the product could still achieve remarkable sales without a new name. I merely took exception to your implication that the iPad Air was a change in name only.

12. zbarvian macrumors 68010

I didn't mean to imply that. I think it's worthy of the new name, but that the name itself reflects both a marketing strategy and the new, svelte design.

13. Tubamajuba macrumors 68020

Then we are both in agreement. :p