If iPhone gets stolen can it be backed up

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Leon12, May 19, 2013.

1. Leon12 macrumors newbie

Hi

Apologies in advance for my ignorance (I'm not very familiar with Apple software and the inns and outs of how it works) but I have a question about what may happen to the data on my iphone if it was to ever get stolen.

I know that in general it is a good idea to backup my iphone often but if my iphone was stolen could it be possible for the thief to obtain all of my data on it by backing it up to their iTunes? This seems too obvious (and too easy) so does iTunes or Apple software in general prevent this? For example would iTunes only allow phones registered with it to be backed up?

Sorry again for this stupid question! As I say I'm not very familiar with Apple software. If any answers could explain this as simply as possible (no silly answers please!) I would be most grateful.

Many Thanks

2. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

If your iPhone has a lock code and is locked, then iTunes will not connect to the phone unless it has already done so once before. So if you lock your phone and someone steals it, they will not be able to get any info from it using their computer.

3. Leon12 thread starter macrumors newbie

That makes perfect sense thanks very much for your reply.

Thinking about it am I right in saying that if a thief was able to use my phone with iTunes (eg if I didn't have a passcode) and they synched it with their iTunes the phone would then end up with all of their iTunes data from their PC and all of the data on my phone would therefore be over written with their data?

Thanks again.

4. Jordan921 macrumors 68040

Jordan921

If they tried to back it up it would erase everything.

5. moonman239 macrumors 68000

Makes me wish I could report my phone as stolen in the event that it is, and expect iTunes on the thief's computer to say "Nope, I'm not going to do anything to that phone for you."

6. iceterminal macrumors 68000

iceterminal

I'll say this as I always have.

Your phone, just like your computer, should have a back up of any and all data you do not wish to lose. Period.

If you don't think a back up is important, than neither is the data you have.

If you can't afford to or don't want to lose your data, back it up. Regardless.

Don't wait until its too late and you're just a statistic.