If iPhone is upgraded every year, and your contract is for 2 years

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by coolwater, Jun 10, 2009.

1. coolwater macrumors 6502a

coolwater

I wouldn't mind holding on to my iPhone for 2 full years, upgrading to the next new iPhone after fulfilling the 2-year contract.

However, if Apple comes out with new iPhone every year, and IF AND ONLY IF that causes my 'old' iPhone not able to experience new apps designed specifically for the latest iPhone, isn't that an another story to talk about?

Is it just another 'reality' of using iPhone? Or, should there be a fundamental solution to the problem?

2. bjquach macrumors 6502

The iphone will be able to support many apps, but maybe certain apps won't work or won't function right because of the graphics chip.

3. coolwater thread starter macrumors 6502a

coolwater

I guess most developers won't just target 3GS users anyway because that will limit their apps sales.

4. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

On the flip side, someone targeting only 3G S owners will experience great sales (if the app is decent enough), as everyone will want to buy the app to show how great their phone is....

5. beamer8912 macrumors 65816

Tell that to the video games market. Studios make the game compatible for every platform possible to maximize sales. If the app is "that cool", it's best to make it available to all customers in order to maximize profit, no?

6. MBHockey macrumors 68040

MBHockey

I disagree. It would be silly of a developer to target only 3G S users. It will take several months for the 3G S user base to approach anywhere near the 3G user base. It's really not a difficult choice to make for a dev.

Just my 2 cents :)

7. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

My point was just that the first ones to the market with "3G S-only" apps will make a killing simply because people will buy them for that reason alone. Not that they should, but they will.

A mediocre game that's "3G S-only" but on the App Store on day one will do better than an "any iPhone" game of the same quality, even with the much smaller market. Or so I'd guess. Just because people will want to show off their phones.

8. beamer8912 macrumors 65816

Possible, but it will be a very short lifespan (1-2 apps at most). And if it truly is the first apps, then they'll more than likely be novel since they will have had to have been developed very quickly.

I think once the 4th gen iPhone comes out is when we'll start seeing a strong separation of available apps. Not many developers develop for OSX 10.5 ONLY. They make sure the app can be run on 10.4 and 10.5. Same way we're seeing 10.4 support slowly die out, just as SL comes out.

If they truly want to ignore the 40,000,000 possible consumer base, and settle for a smaller (2-4 mil?....a guess) consumer base it's their call. But an unintelligent business plan.