If iPod Touch Came Out with 3G, Phone Calls?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by skittles90623, Jul 13, 2011.

1. skittles90623 macrumors regular

I use Google voice to make calls, but if the iPod Touch came out with 3G, I know I'll be able to make phone calls with it from wherever if I had a head-set. And as long as I have the Google voice on throughout the day, I'll be able to take calls as well, right??

2. jonrando macrumors 6502a

Yup. It would be the same as the wifi version, but you'd be able to use it anywhere.

I don't see it happening as it'd make an already slim device a bit thicker and I don't see Apple doing that, but that's just my opinion. It could and would also upset cell phone carriers and iPhone sales.

In addition, when Apple announced the iPod Touch 4 last September, Steve Jobs made a joke about it being "an iPhone without a contract", since it's labeled as an iPhone without the phone. Releasing a 3G iPod would contradict that.

3. Ace134blue macrumors 6502a

Ace134blue

Wont happen. Already have an Ipod with 3g, its called the iphone

4. skittles90623 thread starter macrumors regular

geez, that's what i thought.. wishful thinking i guess.

5. Nicolas4ever macrumors 6502a

Nicolas4ever

Apple will never do it.They aren't stupid.They know that people will get the ipod touch with the 3g instad of the iphone.it will ever be a dream!!If you so want to have 3g get an iphone

6. old-wiz macrumors G3

No way the iPod Touch would have a 3G or 4G connection.

7. Tech Elementz macrumors 6502

This is not practical. If they're going to allow 3G, they might as well not have iPod Touch, since you might as well get a voice plan. This is true because you would have to pay your data plan every month.

8. skittles90623 thread starter macrumors regular

hehe we-ell, maybe i'll just carry an iPad around... bulky like nineties style.

9. Tech Elementz macrumors 6502

On the contrary, I cannot consider the iPad being bulky. For the tablet market, I would think it would be sleek. :D

10. Macky-Mac macrumors 68030

Macky-Mac

isn't it possible to use skype for telephone calls over wifi on an ipod touch?

11. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

Yes it is. I think the OP was wanting this ability everywhere though.

12. gpat macrumors 6502a

If the iPod Touch ever gets a 3G upgrade, I can easily see Apple doing some hard-coding into the system in order to prevent hacks like PhoneItiPad, or somehow preventing you from using it as an iPhone substitute. As for the VOIP applications, you would be forced either to use earbuds or the speaker to listen to phone calls, and I think it's enough of a reason for most people to still get the iPhone, or using the dumbphone + iPod combination, like now. And the 3G addon will cost 100-120$ most certainly, so they will still make a major profit out of it.

13. L I G H T I N G macrumors regular

Cydia will host more apps that can bypass Apple, there is no point in Apple even selling a 3G touch.

Want 3G, get the iPhone.

14. gpat macrumors 6502a

"Want 3G, get phone" does not hold. Not everybody wanting 3G should be forced into an expensive plan with 2-year agreement. A lot of people want an iPod with iPad plans, and not the expensive crap everybody is locked into.

15. L I G H T I N G macrumors regular

Those people are in small, very small minority. Apple would not compromise their great sales from the iPhone to produce an iPod touch with 3G to satisfy a few people yet losing millions of dollars due to the declining sales of the iPhone.

16. eastercat macrumors 68040

eastercat

Apple just released an unlocked iphone 4. No 2 year contract since it's being sold contract-free.
    Anyway for months, people have been able to buy the iphone 4 contract-free and use the at&t pay as you go sim.
    Some people make things so difficult, especially when it's not necessary. :rolleyes:

17. Tech Elementz macrumors 6502

By the way, it is 3 years for an iPhone unless specified. However, who said plans have to be expensive and "locked"? I bet if you looked hard, you could be a very good deal.

18. Tech Elementz macrumors 6502

However, you must pay the full price of the iPhone. It is not subsidized...