Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Original poster
Oct 1, 2007
seems like if adoption rate is much lower than the classic/pro 9.7, or somewhat popular 10.5, may be stuck with black bars for some time -- no?

Would developers care to fix 11" issues if not that many users have it?

even continuing to sell 10.5" which may cannibalize 11" sales could be more salt in the wound

its sad Apple's own trailers app is the worst offender, last updated a year ago: 4:3 side black bars on the 11" not even 10.5" black bars.

its crazy to me 12.9" has been offered consistently for 3 generations now, in a sense making it the surer bet software and development wise. Whereas that was a HUGE concern when it first came out.

If apple sticks w 11" i could see it being a non issue but will they change it yet again?

sracer

macrumors G4
Apr 9, 2010
where hip is spoken
seems like if adoption rate is much lower than the classic/pro 9.7, or somewhat popular 10.5, may be stuck with black bars for some time -- no?

even continuing to sell 10.5" which may cannibalize 11" sales could be more salt in the wound

its sad Apple's own trailers app is the worst offender, last updated a year ago: 4:3 side black bars on the 11" not even 10.5" black bars.

its crazy to me 12.9" has been offered consistently for 3 generations now, in a sense making it the surer bet software and development wise. Whereas that was a HUGE concern when it first came out.

If apple sticks w 11" i could see it being a non issue but will they change it yet again?
Adoption of a form-factor is no guarantee that it will or won't be supported. As you point out, Apple itself doesn't fully support their form-factors. They're pushing a lowest common denominator approach. The widget screen on the 12.9 Pro is only a single column in landscape even though under iOS 10, it was two column... from the iPad Mini up to the 12.9 Pro.

There are still apps that are actively updated that still don't support split-window. Pillar-boxing is here to stay.

Greenmeenie

macrumors 68020
Jan 14, 2013
Nah. Apps are already being updated. I remember the same exact thing was said about the first gen 12.9” as well as the 10.5” when they were first released. So I wouldn’t worry. That is unless Apple decides to change the screen sizes yet again in the next update. Lol. But I doubt that. I think the 11” is here to stay.

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Original poster
Oct 1, 2007
No, as any app updates submitted after early January have to confirm to the 11" size.

Isn’t that contingent upon *if* developers update their apps? For new ones that’s a great standard
[doublepost=1544113980][/doublepost]
Nah. Apps are already being updated. I remember the same exact thing was said about the first gen 12.9” as well as the 10.5” when they were first released. So I wouldn’t worry. That is unless Apple decides to change the screen sizes yet again in the next update. Lol. But I doubt that. I think the 11” is here to stay.

What makes you
Doubt it? There have been No two years of the same smaller pro size consecutively

I would hope they settle for a little too but history hasn’t been an indication of that

Greenmeenie

macrumors 68020
Jan 14, 2013
Isn’t that contingent upon *if* developers update their apps? For new ones that’s a great standard
[doublepost=1544113980][/doublepost]

What makes you
Doubt it? There have been No two years of the same smaller pro size consecutively

I would hope they settle for a little too but history hasn’t been an indication of that

That’s why I joked about it. Who knows what Apple will do with screen sizes in future iPads. Heck, they could increase the 11” to 12” and the 12.9” to 15”! Who knows. But I wouldn’t worry about Apps not updating for the current 11” model. They already are being updated.

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Original poster
Oct 1, 2007
That’s why I joked about it. Who knows what Apple will do with screen sizes in future iPads. Heck, they could increase the 11” to 12” and the 12.9” to 15”! Who knows. But I wouldn’t worry about Apps not updating for the current 11” model. They already are being updated.

watch next year they have one model, thats in the middle at 12.0" :D

960design

macrumors 68040
Apr 17, 2012
Destin, FL
Proper developers should have already written for differing screen sizes:
https://developer.apple.com/design/adaptivity/

Noncompliant developers, probably not.

Not sure what this means? Aspect ratio of trailer does not match aspect ratio of device? This will always create black bars or overzoom.

Yes, they will certainly change it again.

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Original poster
Oct 1, 2007
Proper developers should have already written for differing screen sizes:
https://developer.apple.com/design/adaptivity/

Noncompliant developers, probably not.

Not sure what this means? Aspect ratio of trailer does not match aspect ratio of device? This will always create black bars or overzoom.

Yes, they will certainly change it again.

I cant explain why but trailers app on 11" has 4:3 side letterbox, in addition to the standard horizontal widescreen bars. Observed in the few trailers I tried.

mcaswell

macrumors 6502
Dec 22, 2013
Nah. Apps are already being updated. I remember the same exact thing was said about the first gen 12.9” as well as the 10.5” when they were first released.
Remarkably, the Facebook app STILL has not been updated for the 10.5 (you can tell because the status bar items get a bit larger when you open the FB app).

Greenmeenie

macrumors 68020
Jan 14, 2013
watch next year they have one model, thats in the middle at 12.0" :D

Well, that would certainly make deciding easier! Lol. People were really torn over the 11” vs 12.9” this time around. I think if there was a 12” most people woulda gone with that.
[doublepost=1544126717][/doublepost]
Remarkably, the Facebook app STILL has not been updated for the 10.5 (you can tell because the status bar items get a bit larger when you open the FB app).

I know right? And don’t get me started about Instagram! I can’t believe there isn’t an iPad version yet!

sracer

macrumors G4
Apr 9, 2010
where hip is spoken
I know right? And don’t get me started about Instagram! I can’t believe there isn’t an iPad version yet!
...and yet you said in a previous post that you "wouldn't worry about it". There is evidence to support concern about the lack of support for the different form factors. How much of an impact that is depends upon the apps that one uses.

Greenmeenie

macrumors 68020
Jan 14, 2013
...and yet you said in a previous post that you "wouldn't worry about it". There is evidence to support concern about the lack of support for the different form factors. How much of an impact that is depends upon the apps that one uses.

Dude. Cause I am not worried about it. Most of the major apps I use have been updated already. Instagram has always been just the iPhone app. That doesn’t bother me. I just find it funny.

aevan

macrumors 601
Feb 5, 2015
Serbia

Some apps will drag on, but most will be updated in a matter of months. This is Apple we're talking about - even their less popular features get supported: most Mac apps got the Touch Bar support, almost all apps got the 3D touch support in time - you can bet the new iPad Pro will be supported by almost everyone. For one thing, it's really easy for most developers to do. Second - this is the form factor Apple will stay with for several years, most likely (and probably even with a redesign, the screen size will remain).

Also, where did you get the idea this iPad won't be popular? This one is going to sell really well.
[doublepost=1544137760][/doublepost]
Well, that would certainly make deciding easier! Lol. People were really torn over the 11” vs 12.9” this time around. I think if there was a 12” most people woulda gone with that.

No, some people actually need all the space they can get. And 13" is better than 12" for those people. I'm one of them :)

Pepe4life

Suspended
Nov 15, 2018
Apple should just implement policies for devs who refuse to optimize their apps by a certain date. (e.g. no more payment)

flur

macrumors 68020
Nov 12, 2012
Apple should just implement policies for devs who refuse to optimize their apps by a certain date. (e.g. no more payment)
Apps that don’t comply next year will not be able to issue updates. I believe the deadline is in March?

Macintoshrumors

Suspended
Oct 18, 2016
[doublepost=1544126717][/doublepost]

Instagram never was ment for tablets. No one carries their iPads everywhere and snaps photos of their food or gym selfies and post them to Instagram.

flur

macrumors 68020
Nov 12, 2012
I have Instagram on my iPad. App works great. It’s even updated for Liquid Retina and completely hides that annoying home bar. I have no idea if it’s the same as the iPhone app, I just know it’s not a fuzzy, works-only-in-portrait version. Images are crisp and all the functionality is there.

Greenmeenie

macrumors 68020
Jan 14, 2013
Instagram never was ment for tablets. No one carries their iPads everywhere and snaps photos of their food or gym selfies and post them to Instagram.

Well, a lot of photogrpahers prefer to edit their photos on something larger than an iphone, like an ipad, so i beg to differ.

chfilm

macrumors 68040
Nov 15, 2012
Berlin
March, not early January.
Is it really like this, they have to support the new screen, otherwise they can’t push updates out anymore? Or is this just about new apps?

I’ve been in touch with one developer of of my banking app and he claimed he likes the black bars and wants to keep them :D I was trying to convince him, but to no avail. Absolutely frustrating.

ericwn

macrumors G4
Apr 24, 2016

I don’t see any compelling reason why the experience could not be ported to iPad with a native app. Just because something was done different in the past is the worst excuse to avoid change in my opinion.

MisterSavage

macrumors 601
Nov 10, 2018
I don’t see any compelling reason why the experience could not be ported to iPad with a native app. Just because something was done different in the past is the worst excuse to avoid change in my opinion.

Especially since they also have a website version. It's crazy the iPad has gone this long without an update for it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.