If it ends up being possible to install Catalina on a cMP, would you do so?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by PowerMac G4 MDD, Jun 4, 2019.

  1. PowerMac G4 MDD macrumors 68000

    PowerMac G4 MDD

    Jul 13, 2014
    At the intersection of Conch and Coral.
    I'm really disappointed in Catalina: I thought it would introduce better window-management features. The only new things are Sidecar and a few new applications / updated applications.

    For me, the only reason I would ever care to update to Catalina is if it's reported to be much faster than macOS Slo-jave. A massive performance decrease was offered with Slo-jave, so an update that changes things a bit under the hood is good enough for me. Otherwise, I'm not biting.
  2. eksu macrumors regular

    Aug 3, 2017
    I'm doing it today, just needed to get my hands on a 2014 Mac Mini in order to be the "host" installer.

    Can you do it through Target Disk Mode and a Firewire cable, or do you need to attach the target HDD to the host computer?

    Cataline will be great for the Mac when we get great apps like Apollo brought to the desktop.

    I considered initially selling my cMP and moving to a new Mac Mini & eGPU, but from what benchmarks I've seen playing video games should be faster in the cMP with my current video card (the bandwidth bottleneck is worse than the cpu bottleneck), and if Catalina works (or even just the previews) then I can get another year and hope some 2020 mac has features I want.
  3. t8er8 macrumors regular


    Dec 4, 2017
    Quebec, Canada
    slo-jave? Mojave is the fastest and most well rounded os I’ve used, HS and Sierra don’t even step close to the optimisations and performance improvement I’ve seen in Mojave.
  4. crjackson2134 macrumors 601


    Mar 6, 2013
    Charlotte, NC
    I agree...

    And to the OP... Yes, I will probably install CAT eventually.
  5. macguru9999 macrumors regular

    Aug 9, 2006
    Well sierra on a 3,1 (dosdude) seems like a real winner to me. No issues really so, if the catalina experience turns out the same on my 5,1s , why not ? However I think I will refrain from binning 32 bit apps and paying for any upgrades until its clear that catalina has no drawbacks. Certainly mojave is running very well so there is no rush.
  6. racer macrumors newbie


    Sep 23, 2004
    I will be installing Catalina if it's a not too difficult procedure and the updates aren't a pain to install (so I will probably wait 2-3 months after GM to see how it develops).
  7. bsbeamer macrumors 68020

    Sep 19, 2012
    Potentially will dual or triple boot 10.13/10.14/10.15 if possible without major 3rd party hacks. Intel basically EOL'd the CPUs and because of that it's clear this machine realistically has 12-18 months of real life before it needs to be seriously complemented or supplemented by something newer, if not entirely replaced with the guts going to another tower. Even changing the OS to non-macOS based will not fix Intel's lack of security vulnerability patches. Makes even donating to a school or institution more difficult.
  8. frou, Jun 5, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 5, 2019

    frou macrumors 6502


    Mar 14, 2009
    Never have installed closed-source root-level shims from unknown pseudonymous sources, and never will!

    The degree to which that is promoted on MR forums is irresponsible.
  9. redheeler macrumors 604


    Oct 17, 2014
    My 5,1 is stuck on High Sierra because of the damage Apple did to MacOS Server, and the lack of Nvidia GPU drivers. Going to remain that way for the foreseeable future.
  10. Jegriva macrumors newbie


    May 17, 2019
    Novara, Italy
    Probably yes, waiting for the right time to buy an iMac i9...
  11. PowerMac G4 MDD thread starter macrumors 68000

    PowerMac G4 MDD

    Jul 13, 2014
    At the intersection of Conch and Coral.

    Mojave has been heavy, for me—both graphically-intensive and complete with a login screen that takes a couple seconds to detect my keyboard input. For me, Sierra was the quickest in recent memory (post-Yosemite). Mojave is ridiculous. Catalina doesn't excite me in the slightest, but I may update if it means that the OS simply runs better.

    Someone who installed the beta of Catalina on his MacBook said that it's running several degrees cooler.
    --- Post Merged, Jun 7, 2019 ---

    Yeah, I heard that benchmarks were slightly better. Maybe Catalina has optimizations that Mojave lacks. I'm not excited for Catalina in and of itself, but, if the OS is simply more efficient than Mojave is, I'm down to give it a try. I'll do so first on my 2012 MacBook Pro, since it's just a machine work light work. I'll bet it'll run cooler, at the least.
  12. InuNacho macrumors 65816


    Apr 24, 2008
    In that one place
    Nope. I have too much hardware and software still in 32 bit land.
  13. AidenShaw, Jun 7, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 7, 2019

    AidenShaw macrumors P6


    Feb 8, 2003
    The Peninsula
    LOL. I think that I've finally updated all of my 16-bit apps at this point. When I first moved to x64 Windows, I found that I had a lot of 16-bit apps from the very early 1990's.

    (x64 Windows dropped 16-bit support - basically the mechanism to run 16-bit apps on 32-bit Windows was modified to run 32-bit apps on 64-bit Windows, and 16-bit support was dropped)
  14. Glockworkorange macrumors 68000


    Feb 10, 2015
    Chicago, Illinois
    I have a question---are 32 bit applications security risks? I'm hesitant about bumping my dad to Catalina, as he's 82 years old and is very comfortable with 2008 office. Updating will kill that app and I don't want to become tech support for Office 365 plus...(let alone the cost, but the real issue is the time to explain the new UI...).
  15. AidenShaw macrumors P6


    Feb 8, 2003
    The Peninsula
    I would chart the quickest possible path to eWaste the cMP and move to a newer Apple, or jump to Windows.

    Apple changing one compiler option while building Apple OSX would turn your cMP into a boat anchor. And, (although it's a stretch based on the actual risk), Apple could argue that by disabling all cMP systems they've mostly eliminated some of the recently discovered security risks.

    Abandon the cMP before Apple disables it.
  16. kohlson macrumors 68000

    Apr 23, 2010
    I think one thing is for certain. If you proceed with Catalina in any way, make sure you have a complete/bootable clone before proceeding. Keep that CCC license (or equivalent) up to date!
  17. Objectivist-C, Jun 7, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 7, 2019

    Objectivist-C macrumors 6502

    Jul 1, 2006
    I don't disagree, but the Catalina DP apparently only requires editing one line out of a text file an nvram argument to boot.

    e: and if that holds true through to release I'll install it for sure.
  18. haralds macrumors 6502a


    Jan 3, 2014
    Silicon Valley, CA
    I upgraded to the beta on a separate Boot disk (internal - 1TB SSD.) Got it working by installing on a MacBook Pro. With some fiddling it is running ok. I am looking to graft iTunes back on, not happy with the Music app. I have an upgraded WiFi/BLE board, so I was able to keep Continuity. But I lost Watch Unlock. I am running with SIP, but have the Bootargs set to bypass the version check.
    I am not sure I will change from Mojave. The biggest reason for longer term use of Catalina is the loss of Xcode once it gets past v11.2. However, I also just set up a VMware Fusion Guest, which solves that issue.
    I have wasted way too much time on this...

Share This Page

18 June 4, 2019