If it's for free, it's for me

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by gixxerfool, Oct 29, 2015.

1. gixxerfool macrumors 6502a

gixxerfool

As I got out of my truck tonight my neighbor pulled up behind me. As we were talking I glanced in his backseat. I noticed a G5 sitting in his backseat. He's a dedicated Linux fan. I asked what he was doing with it. He was going to scrap it and I asked if I was interested. For free? Sure. Worst case, you'll get it back. This was the first time I had a chance to get up close and personal with one of these. Jonny was firing on all cylinders when he cranked these out. It's a work of art. Too bad they took the video card, RAM, and hard drives out of it. I don't want to put the money into it to see if it works. I thought I would share.
    image.jpeg image.jpeg

Maybe I can make a cool end table from it.

2. iphonedude2008 macrumors 65816

iphonedude2008

That is beautiful. Thats what the Mac should look like. The inside looks as nice as the outside. Thanks for sharing this amazing find.

3. gixxerfool thread starter macrumors 6502a

gixxerfool

Agreed. For me, this is what the "Apple Magic" was. My Minis are good at what they do, but there Was something about these.

4. flyrod macrumors 6502

flyrod

Nice. It looks like one of the newer ones? Does it have the LCS under that big G5 logo?

5. gixxerfool thread starter macrumors 6502a

gixxerfool

LCS? Unfortunately, I know very little of these. It's a model A1177. 2005 according to my research.

6. LightBulbFun macrumors 6502a

LightBulbFun

very nice find its a PowerMac 11,2 the last of the G5s it uses DDR2 ram in matched pairs... btw see the label on the side of the G5 near the bottom? thats a spec label send a close up pic and we can tell you the specs of the machine :) btw please don't make this into an end table if it works. its a very nice machine would be such a shame to hack it up. edit: looks like some one ripped the spec label in half damn.

7. Hrududu macrumors 68020

Hrududu

Looks like somebody either covered or cut off the part of the label with the serial number and specs.

8. gixxerfool thread starter macrumors 6502a

gixxerfool

No worries. If it did get repurposed, it wouldn't get destroyed. It was just a thought as I really have trouble just scrapping something like this.

Yeah. Half the label is missing. It looks to be cut off. I don't know why they would do that. So I'm clueless as to what the specs should be. It's a shame.

9. bunnspecial macrumors 603

bunnspecial

Here's a quick once-over trick-

Pull off the air deflector, then slide the front fan assembly out of the computer(it's made to come out with no tools) and snap a picture of what you can see behind the processor cover. This will at least let us narrow down if it's a dual or a quad.

Unfortunately, the part of the label that would give this information is missing.

By the way, here's a dual core

IMG_2049.JPG

And a Quad

IMG_2048.JPG

10. Hrududu macrumors 68020

Hrududu

It could be the machine was tagged by a business/school/government entity for destruction. By getting rid of the serial number, the machine no longer "exists" so it was able to live out the rest of its useful life. Of course it may have also been stolen at some point lol. Who knows, it was pretty deliberate either way.

11. jbarley macrumors 68030

jbarley

Mmm? guess mine isn't a quad after all, doesn't seem to have all that frilly stuff on the grill. :D

12. gixxerfool thread starter macrumors 6502a

gixxerfool

I thought I mentioned it was decommissioned by my friends company. Late night posting. Is there any way to get the serial number?

13. LightBulbFun macrumors 6502a

LightBulbFun

aside from Loading OS X on it to fetch the serial number, you can boot into Open firmware and type dev / .properties (that will list info about your mac and its serial number)

14. bunnspecial macrumors 603

bunnspecial

If you get an OS on it(or even boot off an OS X disk) it will tell you "about this Mac." You will need a later revision of Tiger(I think this shipped with 10.4.3 or so) or Leopard(any version) to boot this.

15. MacCubed macrumors 68000

MacCubed

These also use special power cords, they are like 10$ on eBay

16. gixxerfool thread starter macrumors 6502a

gixxerfool

Ok. It's a dual.

I noticed that. Something else to add to the list.