If just a specbumpt iMac this year and redesign 2013?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Crazy82, Jun 16, 2012.

  1. Crazy82, Jun 16, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 16, 2012

    Crazy82 macrumors member

    Joined:
    May 3, 2012
    Location:
    Stockholm, Sweden
    #1
    Hi Guys!

    We obviously don't need another thread but people just don't get that!

    So now to my thouts.
    I have a 2007 Macbook pro that still works perfectly but have waited on geting an iMac in almoust two years. The 2011 iMac arrived and i was going to buy it and at the same time came rumors about Ivy Brige whit buillt in USB 3.0 and that culd be put in the 2012 iMac. I wanted to wait and I still do.

    So what if there is (moust likley) a specbump this year and you not realy need a new computer just yet, shuld you wait for the (possible) redesign next year?
    Shuld you buy (if it comes) 2012 iMac and sattle with it for at least 3 years or sell it before the possible redesign?
    Will the redesign be significant or just things like remove of the chin, retina, thinner or thicker and a new stand what else can realy Apple change? The only one of these things I care about would be a new stand where you culd adjust the hight and so.

    Thouts pleas!

    Thanks:cool:
     
  2. Matador Red macrumors member

    Joined:
    Apr 28, 2012
    #2
    By the time we have a spec bump 2012 there will be rumors of a full redesigned retina 2013 and everyone will scream "wait!" by the time the 2013 rolls out there will be rumors of the 2014 spec bump with some new magical thing you can't live without. This rumor, hype cycle will continue till the end of time. We all just need to decide, based on our own individual factors when the right time to buy is.

    I am hobbling along on a 2005 dell so I will be jumping on the 2012, if there is one soon. If it is not released with ML, I may even consider going refurb 2011. Everyone's factors are different, money, age of current hardware etc... Make a decision if retina means that much to you and if it does, wait. But remember there is no guarantee of retina on 2013. You may be waiting longer than that.
     
  3. Crazy82 thread starter macrumors member

    Joined:
    May 3, 2012
    Location:
    Stockholm, Sweden
    #3
    Thanks!

    You right it's up to enyones factors. Like I wrote I don't care mutch about eather the chin, retina and the thicknes of the display the only thing I care about is a stand with adjustable hight even though that isen't that inportant eather.
     
  4. highlights macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Jan 31, 2005
    #4
    As much as I would love a redesign (just 'cause I like shiny new technology and I'm a fan of smaller/thinner even when not necessary), if there's a spec bump with USB 3/thunderbolt I'll be jumping on it ASAP. I need a big screen (currently working off my 13" macbook pro), and since I do a lot of photo/video editing, it would be great to have faster ports to hook up multiple external hard drives to. I would also hope that the price of SSD might decrease a touch or a small SSD for the OS and apps might become available. None of my "wish list" contains anything outside the realm of serious plausibility, and while I won't buy the current offerings, I would hope that even a spec bump would include the things I'm interested in... and I can only wait so much longer.
     
  5. Mike Valmike macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Feb 27, 2012
    Location:
    Chandler, Arizona
    #5
    No. This is terrible advice, and I wish people like you would stop pushing it here. The best value for any Mac is within the first half of its refresh cycle, give or take a month. That is given that Apple doesn't change the pricing, and its components remain static. So the only time you should ever buy any Mac is during roughly its first six months in production; after that, leave it for the muggles who don't follow Apple's production tendencies. It is never, ever, ever correct to buy a Mac after mid-cycle-ish. If you need one during that interval before the next refresh and can't wait for the refresh, the correct move is to buy a used or refurbished Mac.

    Your scenario of people waiting and then waiting again is bogus; anyone who is stuck on the refresh bump right now with an upgrade NEED (like me) will buy the refreshed 2012 model without regard to what Apple might do with a future refresh. Anyone who just has an upgrade WANT right now isn't going to suffer one way or another from the specifics of a 2012 refresh -- their only concern should be evaluating whether their upgrade WANT is going to become a NEED before a future refresh, and thus whether it might be worth it to "jump the gun" a little, rather than being stuck on the waiting end of the curve when it's their time.
     

Share This Page