If Lion is coming out in June 2011...

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by jvmxtra, Dec 25, 2010.

1. jvmxtra macrumors 65816

jvmxtra

If you were apple, would you release new macbook pro sametime as Lion is coming out or have it come out before so that they can make 2 big announcement instead of one?

I really hope macbook comes out in before!!!

2. MarcBook macrumors 6502a

MarcBook

I think, although I'm not completely sure, that Apple tends to release Mac and Mac OS updates separately so they can focus on promoting each update individually.

I don't remember there being any new Macs released in conjunction with Leopard and Snow Leopard.

3. Ann P macrumors 68020

My money is on Apple updating the MBPs in the first quarter - March 2011? Lion will then release in June 2011, if there is any truth in this. Everybody who bought a MB on or after the set date in March will be legible for a discounted update of Lion OS. Any purchase after the announced OS release date will of course come with Lion.

Does this sound reasonable? I'm going with my experience of a Mac purchase prior to the release of Snow Leopard and just right after a refresh.

4. Yin macrumors member

makes perfectly sense. this way they earn more :)

5. marshallbedsaul macrumors 6502a

marshallbedsaul

6. tom vilsack macrumors 68000

tom vilsack

and my apple shares go up :)

7. animatedude macrumors 65816

i assume MBPs early 2011 and mid june will be the new iMacs with Lion in them.

8. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

I can't see Apple releasing Lion in June as that's the usual time for iPhone and iOS updates.

In the Lion sneak peak preview they said it will be here in Summer 2011 which could mean a July, August or even September release.

http://www.apple.com/uk/macosx/lion/

9. adnoh macrumors 6502a

adnoh

what products are dew for release next year?

Sandy Bridge MB + MBP
    New iMac?
    iPhone 5
    iPad 2
    Lion

How many announcements should we expect?

They talked about Lion when the new MBA's were released alongside iLife 11 so they can and do hardware and software releases simultaneously.

10. Pentad macrumors 6502a

Pentad

There is no way Lion will be out in June...or 2011 for that matter.

Consider:

-First you have 12 months in a year.

-Steve announced Lion but how far along is it really? We saw nothing to show that its well on its way to a beta phase. I doubt they have a complete feature list done for Lion yet.

-Once they finalize the new feature set they have the coding and testing to do. I would guess 3 months depending on how far along they are now.

-Once that feature code is done you go into beta testing. That alone is a minimum of 6 to 9 months.

-Once you reach Gold from beta then its another 6 weeks for packaging to release.

Take all of this and wrap it around the fact that Apple's cash cow is the iOS group which they are not going to divert resources from. That group has a slew of products coming out as well.

The MacOS and computers are not number one anymore -whether that is good or bad if for you to decide- but I don't think we'll see Lion until 2012.

-P

11. shyam09 macrumors 68000

shyam09

add one more.. iwork '11?

12. articcine macrumors regular

I trust Apple when they say Lion will be out Summer'11. I guess it will be ready between april and september, but who knows? Apple's surprised us before.

13. -Ryan- macrumors 68000

Well, Apple said Summer 2011. Which likely means late August or early September rather than June, but it will come mid-next year.

14. adnoh macrumors 6502a

adnoh

I think the Mbps will have been refreshed by then and it could be part of the iPod refresh announcement as that's quite a late one.

15. dime21 macrumors 6502

LOL. So basically what you're saying, is that it will definitely be ready in summer 2011. Unless it isn't.

Very insightful. :rolleyes:

16. tjb1 macrumors 68000

Yeah and your "App Store Petition" is nice too.

17. Pentad macrumors 6502a

Pentad

I know that is what Steve said but I find it incredibly hard to believe. I'm not saying I don't want it out but I really teach this stuff at a university and I just can't believe you (not Ryan but Steve) can even suggestion a July release when we haven't even seen them enter a beta cycle yet.

Regardless of which company, a beta cycle is what it is...and it takes a great deal of time. If nothing else look at Tiger, Leopard, and Snow Leopard's development cycles.

Apple would have to announce a beta release in January (Feb at the VERY latest) to hit a July (mid-summer) date. That's assuming a very short 6 month beta cycle including packaging...

The only exception would be if Lion has very few new features. Obviously, the fewer the code changes the shorter the beta cycle.

I'm still skeptical of a 2011 release date but we'll have to see what Apple announces in Jan/Feb. If they announce betas of Lion in January then we'll probably see Lion 2011 but I bet it shows up in the Fall.

18. old-wiz macrumors G3

Apple could always release it in November 2011 and say it's summer in the southern hemisphere.

19. AdamRock macrumors 6502a

AdamRock

apple wouldn't update both products at the same time, but then again they did update the ipods at the same time.

but i see the macbook being updated in feb-early march and then lion will come out in june.