If Mac and iOS merge...

Discussion in 'Site and Forum Feedback' started by Mad Mac Maniac, Aug 12, 2011.

1. Mad Mac Maniac macrumors 601

Mad Mac Maniac

A little bit of here and a little bit of there.
    ...and adopt an entirely new operating system naming scheme (meaning no more macintosh) then what happens to MacRumors!

I was just thinking about how "Mac"rumors is really a bit of a misnomer and really would be more accurately discribed as "apple"rumors, because for as long as I've been here (and I'm fairly confident as long as this website has existed) there have been articles/discussions about iPods, iPhones, iPads, iOS, displays, AppleTV, iTunes, timecapsle, and everything us under the sun that Apple touches. Of course the website has still always had the existing Mac line to justify the name, dispite the fact that it hasn't been Apples most profitable line for quite some time.

So I pose the hypothetical scenario. Imagine The Mac OS and iOS product lines merging some time over the next 5 years or so. Do you think Apple would ever abandon the "Mac" moniker that has been living on for 30 years? If they were to abondon the Mac in favor some name representative across the the merged products, the name MacRumors certainly wouldn't be appropriate anymore. Do you think the name would ever change or would the name remain the same as perpetual homage to the brand that defined Apple?

Please note, this topic is meant to be a silly, lighthearted, hypothetical discussion for fun... NOT to argue on whether iOS and Mac will ever actually merge

2. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

So go visit AppleRumors.com then! :)

It's a branding thing at this point, so we'd be silly to change from MacRumors to AppleRumors right now. Yes, if Apple completely did away with the "Mac" nameplate, we might have to reconsider.

3. chown33 macrumors 604