Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iSensei

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 25, 2012
As a side note I have a 2012 MBA and 2010 MBP. Anyways, if Apple claims Macs are Gods creation then why is it every time I watch a science documentary on TV the scientists, lab people, etc. everyone basically is using Windows PCs and not Macs. Why?

justperry

macrumors G5
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
Probably they have to run Software which is not available for Mac.

BUT, they can, run a VM or Bootcamp and they can run on a Mac, they are probably too stupid to know this.:0

Schtumple

macrumors 601
Jun 13, 2007
benkadams.com
As a side note I have a 2012 MBA and 2010 MBP. Anyways, if Apple claims Macs are Gods creation then why is it every time I watch a science documentary on TV the scientists, lab people, etc. everyone basically is using Windows PCs and not Macs. Why?

Because the science community probably doesn't see the point is dev-ing software for a platform that doesn't fit their needs?

benwiggy

macrumors 68020
Jun 15, 2012
If the computer is driving a mass spectrometer, electron microscope, deep-space IR telescope, etc, etc, then the manufacturer will have provided a bog-standard PC and written the software and drivers on Windows. Why? because they're cheap, ubiquitous and standard.

That having been said, a lot of academic software is Unix-based and can be run on OS X.

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
Because at home I choose a Mac because its the best.

At work my boss chooses the hardware and I have a cheap crappy PC running XP, because its good enough (his opinion, not mine!)

mmomega

macrumors demi-god
Dec 30, 2009
DFW, TX
Govt agencies almost ALWAYS go the "cheaper is better" route.

They get deals on Windows licensing and hardware.

I've never seen anywhere that Macs are best or Gods creation other than from random users that say it.

I also haven't seen many govt agencies or science documentaries that use the latest version of Windows or up to date hardware. When I entered the Air Force in '99 we were still using computers with Windows NT and Win 98, adopting up to Win XP took almost 4-5 years after it was released.

Going with newer Apple Hardware almost forces you to stay with the "latest and greatest" OS which forces you to upgrade your other software, remember going from SL to Lion and losing Rosetta, then you should remember the uproar with XP to Vista. People stayed on legacy software for years just like some are with SL so that they aren't forced to buy even more hardware. It costs a lot of cash to upgrade on a 1-2year basis.

leman

macrumors Core
Oct 14, 2008
Macs are actually very popular in academia. In my field (linguistics) most of the people I meet on conferences use MacBooks. Our department has been PC-free for years ;)

duervo

macrumors 68020
Feb 5, 2011
Many of the large hadron collider scientists prefer to do their work on Apple laptops.

It pretty much doesn't get more "sciency" than that.

http://people.isb-sib.ch/Heinz.Stockinger/publications/lcg-macos-paper-v1.0.pdf

Fireball Dragon

macrumors 6502a
Nov 26, 2012
Chigwell, England
Not true. I don't know which (or how many!) documentaries you have been watching...

But as a scientist I can tell you that almost all of my colleagues (and myself) use macs. This is something I have noticed throughout my undergraduate and postgraduate studies.

Hexley

Suspended
Jun 10, 2009
In the TV program Alias and 24 the heroes used Macs while the villains used a PC (normally a Dell).

Yes, this thread is silly.

Puevlo

macrumors 6502a
Oct 21, 2011
The Mac OS X Software License Agreement specifically precludes its use in a nuclear facility.

nill1234

macrumors 6502
Dec 22, 2012
Beacause nobody in science cares about gods creation and macs? I use a PC with Windows 7 and i love windows 7 its a fast reliable OS with lots of professional software support like CAD programs and games of course :). But i also use a Macbook Pro Retina and i love it too because of its mobility, batterie life and its retina display. At the end it all comes down to your needs. Both systems are good and reliable.

Morrile

macrumors member
Jun 18, 2009
In an Apartment

Simple! Windows PCs are cheap and cheap lacks quality. I know I could buy a number of laptops that a MBP costs but having had a MBP since 2009 I know the difference is huge and well worth the money.

Dyno-Mike

macrumors regular
Aug 19, 2012
United Kingdom
For me Macs (mainly MacBooks) are the best because of the trackpad and keyboard, Screen, Build quality and the ability to run both OS's (OSX,Windows) anytime I wish.

I love how they have managed to design such a powerful machine into a thin and sturdy chassis.

Not to mention apples customer support is the best i have ever experienced...

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit

Being the "best" at computers or anything is a subjective point of view. There is no altruistic "best" of anything because someone will have a differing opinion on it.

We each need to find the computer whether it be a Mac or an IBM PC that "best" fits our needs and likes.

But to try and answer your question, there are many applications out there in science and other enterprise companies that work only on Windows. I have the same thing at work, all my necessary applications run on Windows not OS X.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009

I don't think apple ever stated they were God's creation, but rather better computers then PCs. Being better does not always equate into marketshare, just compare a timex watch to a rolex. Many more people own Timexes but not rolex, does that make the timex a superior watch?

SprSynJn

Sep 15, 2011
Japan
Since when did Apple claim they were God's creation? They promote their products like any other company. People just take them more serious than others. And while people of that profession may use PCs, other professions prefer Mac computers. The music and education industries are a few that come to mind.

AirThis

macrumors 6502a
Mar 6, 2012
I really fail to see what this thread has to do with Macbook Pros. Perhaps it should be moved to the more general "community" discussions.

clyde2801

macrumors 601
I can't count the number of television shows showing the good guys using macs and the villains using pc's.*

Maybe the OP was watching documentaries about evil scientists....:eek:

*And I'm NOT going to make a comment about 'art imitating life'. PC users deserve our pity, not our scorn. ESPECIALLY with the release of windows 8...

amoda

macrumors 6502a
Aug 9, 2006
Depends on where you go, their budget, and what software they're running. In our university Macs are widely used in most biological/health science labs.

I worked briefly in a NRC institute and they had favoured PCs due to budget constraints, but had a few Macs here and there.

Service Droid

macrumors member
Dec 28, 2012
Aus
Because few companies will spend extra for their employees on macs when you can buy cheap and nasty PC's and distribute them company or university wide en masse on a budget.

CausticPuppy

macrumors 68000
May 1, 2012

Here's a shot of the Mars Curiosity rover team. Happy now?

Ke620.jpg

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.