iPhone X If MAX is only 3G RAM are you returning it ?

TheRealAlex

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Sep 2, 2015
So I think the current iPhone X is only 3GB RAM
Apple introduced no new features that require more RAM. I highly doubt that the $1099 XsMax has more than 3GB of RAM.

I can say right now. If it has 4GB RAM it will be a 2 year device.

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
iPhone 6s is outperforming itself now that it's on iOS 12. And that only has 2gb of Ram. 4 gigs should easily get you the two years. Hell, a few family members have a 6s and se and that's clearly going to go another year with no issue (se could use a new battery).

I expect the X I have to last me through next year but if I'm not blown away I'll give it another year too. I think this is the first time I've experienced a new iOS actually improve performance across the board. Apple deserves more recognition for that.

joeblow7777

macrumors 603
Sep 7, 2010
People worry too much. 3GB of RAM is plenty for an iOS device. Lots of them, including the 2018 6th Gen iPad, have 2GB, and its performance is excellent. Heck, even 1GB devices like the 5s and iPad Air are still running quite well on the latest OS. If you think that the amount of RAM makes or breaks the phone, you should consider an Android flagship with 8GB.

Last edited:

jesChexin

macrumors member
Mar 8, 2018
My 6 Plus only has 1GB of RAM. It’s annoying because anytime I leave an app it will lose its place, but hopefully a more modern phone with more RAM will cure this.

kargurin

macrumors 6502
Apr 24, 2015
My 6 Plus only has 1GB of RAM. It’s annoying because anytime I leave an app it will lose its place, but hopefully a more modern phone with more RAM will cure this.
The thing that I didn't like was that web pages seemed to reload alot. Thought it was a good phone though.

csi24

macrumors regular
Nov 20, 2007
Maryland
Do we have confirmation that the Xs also has 4GB, or is it 3GB?
I believe it's 4gb as well. It kind of feels weird that both the regular sized and Plus sized phones have identical specs (besides the screens of course). Haven't had that in a while!

Supermallet

macrumors 65816
Sep 19, 2014
I’m amazed that either phone has 4 GB of RAM, given how long it took Apple to introduce any phone with more than 1 GB.

tonybarnaby

macrumors 68020
Dec 3, 2017
How much extra would it cost Apple to add an extra gb to a phone? Pennies on the dollar I would assume.

peejay1977

macrumors regular
Jun 25, 2015
I've never concerned myself with the RAM in the phone or the mAh of a battery, mainly due to the real world usage being the ultimate test. I know I'm kinda stating the obvious but I had the Note 8 last year, for all of a week and despite it's specs it lacked the performance of iOS so I quickly came running back.

My wife has the 6S and that runs beautifully on iOS 12 and also her iPad Mini 2, while slightly laggy runs just fine even now.

tonybarnaby

macrumors 68020
Dec 3, 2017
I've never concerned myself with the RAM in the phone or the mAh of a battery, mainly due to the real world usage being the ultimate test. I know I'm kinda stating the obvious but I had the Note 8 last year, for all of a week and despite it's specs it lacked the performance of iOS so I quickly came running back.

My wife has the 6S and that runs beautifully on iOS 12 and also her iPad Mini 2, while slightly laggy runs just fine even now.
Apple is good at giving us enough most of the time. The biggest time they have dropped the ball is giving the 6/6+ only 1gb of ram. The iPhones with 3gb are completely fine today, but more ram is never a bad thing for the people who like to “future proof” their phones. An x max with 6gb of ram would probably work amazing for 5 years, so Apple would probably end up losing money on it.

Reactions: peejay1977

peejay1977

macrumors regular
Jun 25, 2015
Apple is good at giving us enough most of the time. The biggest time they have dropped the ball is giving the 6/6+ only 1gb of ram. The iPhones with 3gb are completely fine today, but more ram is never a bad thing for the people who like to “future proof” their phones. An x max with 6gb of ram would probably work amazing for 5 years, so Apple would probably end up losing money on it.
Agreed! I must admit I don't ever remember my 6+ being slow, but then again I've had 3 more iPhones since haha

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.