If MBA had a keyboard light? Would you conisider it now?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Lamarak, Oct 22, 2010.

1. Lamarak macrumors 6502

The new MBA having no lighted keyboard was a deal breaker for me. I was considering selling my 2009 13 MBP and getting an air because I do take it around a lot and having the lit keyboard was very useful in dark classrooms and under lit rooms. I do have some sight problems and wear pretty thick glasses.

So if it had a lighted keyboard, would it have made you consider it at all as a replacement for your current computer?

2. Epsilon88 macrumors 6502

No, the lack of keyboard backlighting doesn't deter me at all. When I type, I never look down at the keys, and so I keep my backlight off in any case.

I wonder if there is a generational difference in the use of backlit keys. I'm in my early 20s, and I and all my friends were trained to type in school with a sheet covering our hands. None of us use the backlight feature.

3. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

I like using the backlit keyboard, even if I don't need to look at the keyboard. It's just a nice... extra. especially when I play video games in the dark, and I'm randomly trying to find the 3 button, but hitting 2 or 4 will kill me. Than a backlit keyboard is very important. :D

4. Alvi macrumors 65816

Alvi

wow, that's a huge bummer, especially for a Premium product like the MBA, I wouldn't sell my 2009 13" MBP because The new MBA Is still and even more underpowered, 1.6 and 1.8 is pretty bad, the older one was 1.83 and 2.13, It's sexy but it's not enough for me

Back on topic I have my MacBook Pro as a companion product so I use it sometimes on my couch in the dark, in bed, in my car and so on, and I found it even more useful than i thought

5. lasuther macrumors 6502a

I will buy a MBA to replace my MacBook because of the screen 1440x900 resolution. A $1400 MBA will work better for me than a $1200 MBP.

6. Lamarak thread starter macrumors 6502

Im getting a job soon that will require travel is why I was considering it, but no lighted keyboard and in hind sight the points you brought up, I will be lugging my 13 with my hypermac battery. That battery is so useful and handy.

7. snaky69 macrumors 603

I type on an apple bluetooth keyboard most of the time, I never look at my keyboard, I touch type, so the backlight is pretty much useless to me.

8. Alvi macrumors 65816

Alvi

Yeah, I travel a lot with my 13" MacBook Pro and It's an okay computer, I find it kinda heavy sometimes, even if it's nothing compared to a Dell Computer or an HP but it's hard to hold it with one hand and the Air isn't.
    Apple is definitely hiding stuff like Under-powering with better (not amazing like the iPad) battery life and SSD's, and It still only has 2GB of ram so I feel that it's overpriced, This style of Specs (especially the 11" one) is made to compete with Premium netbooks that are 600$, and the Netbook era is almost over because of the tablets so this is made for students with money that also have an iMac, but probably also have an iPad (which makes it an awkward expense)

9. andrew086 macrumors regular

well it wouldn't be important on a MBA in that case..

10. Rithem macrumors 6502

Rithem

This

11. i3igsmooth5769 macrumors 6502a

i3igsmooth5769

sad to admit...but yes. I get alot of use out of the lighted keyboard.

12. i3igsmooth5769 macrumors 6502a

i3igsmooth5769

sad to admit...but yes. I get alot of use out of the lighted keyboard.

13. atrac7 macrumors regular

i understand that some users say how they are touch typists and that they have no need for backlit keyboard, but quite simply in dark environments it is a perfect companion to make typing a bit more enjoyable and convenient.

I am a 80+ WPM typist, also trained like some other posters here who were taught in high school to type with a cover over the hand. that doesn't mean the backlight is useless and I use mine every night. Also, we weren't trained in high school to find the reverse Fn keys, so for those controls the backlight is rather helpful

14. altecXP macrumors 65816

For me it would need a backlit KB and a FW800 port. Then it would be perfect. I don't need the SD card slot.

15. nwbusa macrumors regular

I'd buy one today if it had a backlit keyboard. It's a necessity for me.

16. Bernard SG macrumors 65816

Bernard SG

Some folks speculate Apple will drop the keyboard light on MBP in future updates. That would suck big time.

17. mrsir2009 macrumors 604

mrsir2009

No wonder they have no shots of the MBA in the dark...

They should really add the backlighting - At the moment the MBP is the only Mac that has a backlit keyboard. As someone said earlier, if they take that away that would REALLY suck.

•I also think that the desktop keyboards should have backlighting too :D

18. Epsilon88 macrumors 6502

judging by the strong response from major reviewers, they may relent.

19. Identity Fraud macrumors 6502

The reason I got the 15" MBP was I needed a computer to do everything for me (movies, bootcamp, photoshop, run games in win7). If I had a powerful desktop I'd consider the MBA but the lack of backlit keyboards might force me to wait for the refresh of the 13" MBP. I can't imagine how much space the LED's actually take up.

20. ihonda macrumors 68000

if it had the light id sell my mbp and get the 4gb ram model. i dont use optical at all.

21. DVD9 macrumors 6502a

No Backlit keyboard is a dealbreaker

The Air cost too much priced above the 13" Pro. If it was the price of the 11.6" with a backlit keyboard yeah I would probably buy it.

Strange that every phone has a backlit keyboard (and did right from the beginning way, way back), but laptop makers think that with almost ten times as many keys a laptop keyboard should not be backlit.
    --

22. toxic macrumors 68000

I never used the backlight on my MBP except when using an external display with the laptop display turned off...with the display on, even at the lowest brightness, the keys are plainly visible.

23. DVD9 macrumors 6502a

Some people can basically see in the dark. Some can touch type 100 words per minute when sleepy.

Should everyone else be euthanized?
    --

24. cube macrumors G5

No, the deal breaker as a secondary machine is the lack of gigabit ethernet, for practical backup, and when there is no wireless.

As a primary machine, the lack of FireWire also brings it down.

And finally, the impossibility of upgrading it makes it throwaway.