If Money Was No Object...

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by bluap84, Mar 11, 2011.

1. bluap84 macrumors 6502

What would your perfect set up be in your home? Just a thought...

I think id would have an office suite with a few top spec MacPro's..An Xbox in every room which had a tv. WD Live Tv (or similar) in every room also.

iMac in the kitchen, a few ipads built into the walls to control the houses features.

Id have mac mini server running off a few drobo pros to full capcity. Nas running the houses security cameras.

Air play enabled running through the house.

im sure theres more....but i cant think atm

2. Lone Deranger macrumors 65816

Lone Deranger

3. Terrador macrumors regular

If money were no object the best thing I'd implement is separation. Separate my office from my gaming from my living space.

Obviously a Mac Pro with the works and a nice display in the office. Get a nice NAS or RAID to go with it maybe? I don't know if I'd really need it considering the mac pro is basically a 4-bay array anyway and I HATE cables with a passion.

Game room with Xbox, Kinect, and ping-pong table!

Living space with Apple TV for Netflix.

4. arogge macrumors 65816

arogge

I would first build a floor-to-ceiling library filled with books. Then a nice fountain, a music studio, and... oh, you mean would I buy lots of Apple toys that would soon depreciate in value? Definitely not. I've been trying to eliminate the oppression of having computers and other unnecessary technology around all the time, unless it is being used for a specific work-related purpose.

5. SuperCachetes macrumors 6502a

SuperCachetes

6. Aeolius macrumors 6502a

7. steviem macrumors 68020

steviem

As money is no object, depreciation wouldn't be an issue. What is so wrong with having computers and technology around for fun? "Screw your PS3, I have connect 4!".

Anyway, I'd love to have a Mac Pro with two 27" Monitors for photography and home movies, an Apple TV in every bedroom and in the specially build basement cinema. Have the house cabled with Cat 6 and have Cisco enterprise grade switching (so the GBs of bandwidth doesn't keep forcing me to reboot a linksys router like I have to now) with whatever rack mount server hardware Apple allows Lion to be installed on (to store media on - bought from the Apple Store in HD rather than how most of my 720p is right now...).

iPads and iPhones for everyone in the house and an iPad built into a kitchen cupboard...

8. Mord macrumors G4

Mord

What about an on call IT support person to make sure all that stuff keeps running smoothly?

I near enough have my ideal set-up, an i7 15" MBP. I like keeping things simple. The only improvement I could see making would be having a 27" apple display sitting on a desk ready for it when I want to get serious work done.

If money was no object I wouldn't spend loads on apple stuff, just what I need. I'd rather have a library room than a room full of junk that I'll get bored of after a little while.

9. roadbloc macrumors G3

roadbloc

10. legreve macrumors regular

legreve

- Fully loaded Mac Pro 12 core (or might wait till december and get the biggest one then :p)
    - Fully loaded MBP 15" (upgraded to 16gb ram later this year)
    - 3 Eizo screens... because they rock :)
    - A network drive hidden somewhere in the house fully loaded with movies and music.
    - An iMac hanging on the wall to control that entertainment from.
    - A Red cam with all the primes available.
    - A high quality dolly track.
    - A high quality crane.
    - A high quality steadycam vest with arm.

All for the sake of photography, video editing and 3d rendering.

Coincidencially... anyone who can lend me $150000? ;)

11. t0rr3s macrumors 6502

t0rr3s

Ahahaah! :D

12. Chappers macrumors 68020

Chappers

Only two :eek:

13. Apple OC macrumors 68040

Apple OC

I would set-up on the Upper East Side ...

Attached Files:

14. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

I'm already pleased with the gadgets I have so I would like my own gym before anything else.

15. JoeG4 macrumors 68030

JoeG4

Lots of bathrooms. one in every bedroom, one in the office, and a guest bathroom somewhere for guests to use.

That, and ducts for running wires without having to tear the walls open.. and

Speakers everywhere. Mmm music. especially in the bathroom. :> I like showering with smooth jazz. woot.

I'd just have a nice projector in the family room. Not sure what else.. comfy sofas everywhere? Yea.

A nice big garage with room for plenty of cars and a lift to work on them as I please would be a bonus. :D

Oh.. and an escalator. :>

16. bluap84 thread starter macrumors 6502

good shout on these +1

17. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

I'd like to have a 300-400 m^2 (3500-4500 sq. ft.) house of my own design. I don't want a house too big, and not too small. Location is more important than anything, I suppose.

I'd have a living room, but no family room. I'd have an office on the 2nd level. It would be fairly open concept, but things like bookshelves or other features would somehow divide the space up so that it doesn't feel like everything is in a single room. I want to give people (myself and family (if I had my own)) some sense of privacy, but I don't necessarily want it to be the result of a lot of walls.

There would be an iMac (the smallest one, which is probably still large) somewhere, but I'd want to have a 13" MBA and a tablet (not an iPad) for regular use. I'd have a Nintendo Wii, and I'd have a 50" plasma/LCD TV of some sort.

18. Paulywauly macrumors 6502a

Paulywauly

I always wanted JARVIS from Iron Man, an almost completely autonomous system. Not too fussed about all the hologram stuff though.

slightly more realistically i think i'd have some ethernet wired up discreetly around the house and bunch of Airport Extremes. i'd want a specced out Mac Mini with a few DroboPros hanging off it as a server. i'd also control an automated CTTV and security system.
    As a main workhorse i'd have a Mac Pro running off an SSD with 3 or 4 27 inch displays and some **** hot speakers!
    Most rooms would also have iPads built into the walls for various things which would control lights, curtains, temperature, music, photo frames, music etc.

I could go on and on all day here...........i need to get out more