If my 2006 MBP gets hot (79 C) while watching flashvids. is this bad?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by christall109, May 14, 2009.

1. christall109 macrumors 6502

Hey Guys,

Whenever I watch hulu/youtube or any other vlc videos for that matter on my 2006 MacBook Pro, my MacBook gets really hot (79C and sometime 81C). I know that there is an issue with MacBook Pros and heat and thats why I've been using SMCfancontrol for the past few years. But the problem now is, with the fans running at 5900rpm it still gets this hot! One time I even burned my leg. Is there something wrong with my mac and will apple fix it?

2. pyroo macrumors member

it could be? my old powerbook 12" averaged 45-60C watching youtube and hulu

3. kolax macrumors G3

Most likely your fans are clogged up with dust/muck and even though they are spinning full blast, the air flow is still very poor. See if you can feel any air come out the exhaust. At 6000rpm, you should really feel a blast.

I'd get that looked at right away - my old MacBook Pro went down the same road, and the GPU eventually fried taking out my screen with it.

The fans were clogged up, and while I did have a potentially faulty GPU (8600M) the fact that the air flow was poor and the GPU was constantly hot didn't help at all.

When I got it back - new logic board but also they cleaned the fans out. Was really cool, fans never went over 4500rpm, even when encoding video. I'd really urge you to go and check the fans - if you are still under warranty an Apple Reseller or Apple Store, or if out of warranty, open it you yourself.

One of the good points of the new Unibodies is you can take the bottom case off easily and clean the fans yourself.

4. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Be advises that Flash on OS X is very inefficiently programmed, so if you're watching things like HQ and HD flash videos on YouTube, you may experience increase CPU usage which gauges up your temperature; and then there is Apple's effort to ensure that fan noise does not flare, so the temperature will rise even faster.

Sometimes my computer gets hot idling, but there is nothing really to worry about unless you experience locks and beach-balling.

5. kolax macrumors G3

Wouldn't say it's nothing to worry about - if you are idling (CPU <10%) and it is roasting hot, there is obviously something wrong hardware wise.

6. emt1 macrumors 65816