If my credit is denied!!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by nkkumi01, Jun 26, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nkkumi01 macrumors newbie

Can I still get service regardless if my credit gets denied?? Some people mentioned a security deposit. How much is the average security deposit??

2. darwen macrumors 6502a

darwen

I believe it is $750. That is just what I read on here though.

3. janey macrumors 603

janey

it's not that it's denied, and the deposit depends on how nonexistant or awful your credit is, among other factors.

4. pr5owner macrumors 65816

wow if your credit is denied, you camped out for nothing!

j/k do you know for sure if they do a credit check? i heard apple stores will make you activate it over itunes from home.

5. nkkumi01 thread starter macrumors newbie

Seriously, I have to pay 750 dollars for the privilege to purchase a 600 dollar phone and a 2 yr contract for 80/month. I might have fair credit but I have paid my previous cell phone bill (Tmobile) on time, with only 4 late payments in 3 and a half years. Hopefully if anything it doesn't exceed 250!!!

6. darwen macrumors 6502a

darwen

No, it would be for the privliage to use AT&Ts great services... ;)

7. zflauaus macrumors 65816

I'm not sure if this is possible, but can you go up to an AT&T store before the release and see if you need to put down a deposit? I don't know if that's possible though.

8. Antaios macrumors regular

ur friendly neighborhood at&t rep here...
    credit checks that require a deposits usually range from $150.00 to $750.00.
    I've seen 150, 500, 750 and only once 800.

9. /dev/toaster macrumors 68020

/dev/toaster

I have to drop down $750 on Friday for a deposit. I have bad credit.

Paying your bills on time with other cell providers means nothing. You don't get credit for that. It also doesn't mean squat on your credit for utility bills and what not.

All cell providers require good credit or have high deposit requirements, thats just how it is.

Personally, I think it should be law that companies who can or do report bad credit should be required to report good credit.

10. Teh Don Ditty macrumors G4

Teh Don Ditty

If you had to pay $750 for the "privilege" to purchase a $600 phone I'd say you're out of your damn mind. I'll tell ya what, how about slap ya across the face and I take your $750 and we'll call it a day?

No phone is worth that much! (750 + 600 + 80/mo (960 over the year) +36 activation)

Good luck trying to get the iPhone. Hope your credit gets approved!

They do. It's noted as "pays on time"

11. asherman13 macrumors 6502a

asherman13

My AT&T rep said $500, and you get it back after a year of paying your bills on time.

EDIT You can go into a store today and ask what your deposit will be if you need one, be sure to bring your Social Security number and your driver's license. Also, you can get a "pre-approved credit" number from your local AT&T store if you're worried about it; you enter that number during the iTunes activation process.

12. nkkumi01 thread starter macrumors newbie

Ok so what if I was to take over a friends cingular account meaning transferring responsibility completly over to me, do they do a credit check as well??

13. Teh Don Ditty macrumors G4

Teh Don Ditty

Are you on the account?

I'm guessing you're not. Then, yes they'll still do a credit check.

The only time you can get away with it is when you're already on an account (say you're on under your parents name), you turn 18 and your 'rents sign a paper saying that this will now be your account. That's how it worked for me back in the day with Verizon.

14. Antaios macrumors regular

oh yes... that is a standard practice now.

15. nkkumi01 thread starter macrumors newbie

Oh so if lets say my brother who owns a cingular account decides to add a new line for me, I don't need to do a credit check?? I'm I understanding this correctly?

16. Teh Don Ditty macrumors G4

Teh Don Ditty

Correct, because your brother is the owner of the account. He doesn't have to give much detail on who uses the additional line.

But, I don't know if you can do that with the iPhone.

17. nkkumi01 thread starter macrumors newbie

what why??? My head hurts this is complicating lol!!

18. GeekLawyer macrumors demi-god

GeekLawyer

The post is coming from inside the house!
    You can call AT&T Wireless and speak to customer service ahead of time. They will run your credit for you and let you know if you're in good shape. If you're in good shape, they will give you a BAN number that you will put into iTunes as you're activating your phone.

I called today and got this taken care of.

19. gauchogolfer macrumors 603

gauchogolfer

You can add a new line to a family plan and get an iPhone. As long as the person whose name is on the bill doesn't change, then no security deposit ought to be required.

20. MacbookSwitcher macrumors 6502

MacbookSwitcher

If your credit is denied, you have no business buying a $500/$600 phone! This is an example of the system working correctly

21. /dev/toaster macrumors 68020

/dev/toaster

Interesting. Well, I just went through my credit report again and I fail to see "pays on time" noted any where next to a cell phone company or utility company. Oh wait, I see why ... the company isn't listed at all.

I have paid my cell bill on time for the past 6+ years that I have had a cell phone. When I left T-Mobile I even called to reques they send a good credit raiting out about my time as a customer. They simply said "Sorry, we don't do that".

22. Antaios macrumors regular

BAN number?? That's internal at&t jargon.... how do you know that GeekLawyer??

23. nkkumi01 thread starter macrumors newbie

Shame on me, because I thought, my money was worth the same amount as yours. I'm sorry that I'm young and have not yet built credit. People like me shouldn't be allow to buy the iphone. I'm gonna leave now. :eek:

24. gauchogolfer macrumors 603

gauchogolfer

Probably because it's prominently featured in the how-to video on Apple's website. ;)

25. Antaios macrumors regular

nope. at&t doesn't either.... we only report to credit agencies if you fail to pay...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.