If my macs replaced, can I keep harddrive and ram?

paperclip777

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 20, 2012
Hi guys, I have a white mac book that's on the way out... using an external keyboard, as it's stuck in CAPS.

It's got 260 days of apple care left, so, I can bring it to get fixed.

If they decided to replace it though... what happens to my new harddrive, 500gb, and ram, 8gb... they weren't cheap... can I keep them?

I know the body (cracked) battery and possibly motherboad needs to be replaced.

ivoruest

macrumors 6502
Jul 12, 2010
Guatemala
Yes you can keep them and install them on the new computer. But you should make sure which HD and RAM modules will be better on the newer computer.

If your old Mac is an earlier version than Late 2008 then you may not be able to fit the RAM modules onto the new one.

Comment

paperclip777

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 20, 2012
Yes you can keep them and install them on the new computer. But you should make sure which HD and RAM modules will be better on the newer computer.

If your old Mac is an earlier version than Late 2008 then you may not be able to fit the RAM modules onto the new one.
I bought the ram about 3 months ago, 2 4 gig modules, and the hard drive is also only 3 months old.

Comment

ivoruest

macrumors 6502
Jul 12, 2010
Guatemala
I bought the ram about 3 months ago, 2 4 gig modules, and the hard drive is also only 3 months old.
What model is your Macbook? I mean what year did you bought it. Because models earlier than 2008 came with DDR2 RAM and the new ones come with DDR3 which is different and will not fit in the RAM of your older Mac.

Comment

paperclip777

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 20, 2012
What model is your Macbook? I mean what year did you bought it. Because models earlier than 2008 came with DDR2 RAM and the new ones come with DDR3 which is different and will not fit in the RAM of your older Mac.
It's the last white macbook I think... bought Dec 29th 2009... it's got the big trackpad.

I've got 8gb, DDR3 Ram in it now, and it's working fine.

Comment

ivoruest

macrumors 6502
Jul 12, 2010
Guatemala
It's the last white macbook I think... bought Dec 29th 2009... it's got the big trackpad.

I've got 8gb, DDR3 Ram in it now, and it's working fine.
Ahh! Ok, then It will work with a newer Mac definitelly but newer macs bring speedier Ram. But it won't do a big difference. It will work and that's what matters.

Comment