If my prior system is fully up to date...

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by zorahk, Apr 15, 2010.

1. zorahk macrumors 6502

Will time machine work? I am going from the computer in my sig to a new macbook pro. I want to use time machine rather than migration assistant if at all possible so that I have a full copy of my previous machine. As long as all my software is updated, it should theoretically work, right? Or do I *need* to use migration assistant?

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

You need to use Migration Assistant to restore from the Time machine backup, but if you have backed up everything, everything will be migrated to the new Mac, unless you exclude it.

3. zorahk thread starter macrumors 6502

No you don't. You can instead erase the disk using the install DVD, and then use time machine from there rather than migration assistant.

But will this work okay?

4. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Okay, that way it is possible too, and it is some kind of Migration Assistant, just embedded into the installation process. It migrates your data anyway. I think it is called Setup Assistant. But you can only do that the first time your start your new Mac, while you configure it, or during the re-installation process.

You can also clone your HDD and clone it back onto the new Mac.

5. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

My old 2009 MacBook Pro drive did not boot on my 2010 MacBook Pro; I had to perform an Archive and Install to fix it. The latter did fix the boot issues.

6. zorahk thread starter macrumors 6502

Was the 2009 macbook pro drive restored using time machine and were you running 10.6.3