If New iMacs Come out this Tuesday...

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by jaw3net, Mar 14, 2008.

1. jaw3net macrumors regular

My new iMac just arrived and I can't wait to open the box. I do, however, have a question. If new iMacs come out this Tuesday (which seems to be the rumor), will I be able to return the iMac that just arrived for one of the new machines? I custom built mine so I imagine I'd have to send it back to Apple vs. taking it to an Apple Store.

I think I read somewhere that someone had bought a macbook a few days before Apple released a newer version (believe it was just processor and HD upgrades) and they were able to get the latest version without any extra charges. Can this happen?

Also, what could the upgrades be to the new iMacs? Are we talking major differences vs. the current version or just a bump to Penryn, etc.?

2. JML42691 macrumors 68020

JML42691

Basically, you would have to send it in to Apple by mail, and pay a 10% restocking fee, and then you could purchase the new version (but you would lose some of your money in the 10% restocking fee).

3. AreanFSL macrumors 6502

Just use your iMac and be happy. Your iMac is truly fast and chances are you will not really see a difference. One concern Laptop line-up owners have is battery-life. In your case you don't need to worry about that.
    I think it's just bragging rights to say you have a penryn. So just enjoy what you have and chances you will not notice a difference unless doing intensive tasks. :)

4. BornAgainMac macrumors 603

BornAgainMac

You can sell it and upgrade to the next major update of the iMac. Wait until the iMac 4-core version with Blu-Ray comes out and skip this next minor update. In the future, it is best to buy when they just release new hardware but after you hear reviews of any issues.

5. Lancetx macrumors 68000

Lancetx

You can call Apple to ask for a price adjustment though if a new model is released within 10 days of when they shipped your iMac.