If new Macbook uses nVidia-comparison

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by bluefiberoptics, Oct 12, 2008.

1. bluefiberoptics macrumors regular

bluefiberoptics

I'm thinking about purchasing the upcoming new Macbooks if the rumor about the inclusion of an nVidia chipset is true.

However, I have a question:

I currently have a notebook with a Mobility Radeon X600. How would that compare against these new nVidia chipsets?

I also have a Geforce 7600 GT in my desktop. How does that compare against the new chipsets?

Does anyone know how I can find that information out? Even generic notebook comparisons with the nVidia chips would be helpful.

Thanks!

2. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

It'd fall somewhere between the X600 and 7600GT.

Take a look at the 8400M.

3. bluefiberoptics thread starter macrumors regular

bluefiberoptics

Thanks, I'm reading about the various nVidia chipsets on Wikipedia. :)

4. Jak3 macrumors regular

this is what it says for the 8400M

5. bluefiberoptics thread starter macrumors regular

bluefiberoptics

I do very casual gaming on my current notebook, so I just wanted to see what this new chipset was capable of. As long as I can play stuff like Spore and Second Life comfortably, that's all that matters. :)

6. marvel2 macrumors 6502

Lets hope we still get 4+ hours with a dedicated gpu in the MB.

7. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

If it's a MCP7A and a dedicated GPU I can't see why not. That is if Apple supports GPU to IGP swapping to lower power consumption.

8. Jpoon macrumors 6502

Ewww Second Life. Sorry, I just really deplore that game >_<! Spore is / was fun though.

9. bluefiberoptics thread starter macrumors regular

bluefiberoptics

Second Life appeals to certain types of people. And it's not really a game, so most gamers will not find it interesting.

Some very interesting things happen in Second Life, the most interesting to me is the educational aspect. (Running simulations, teaching/learning languages, schizophrenia simulation in order to better understand patients, etc)

10. mosx macrumors 65816

nvidia's chipset, the one Apple is likely to use, is not up to par with the 8400M.

Nvidia's chipset is a "system on a chip" with integrated graphics and all controller functions built in to a single chip.

While nvidia's IGPs have always been significantly faster than Intel's offerings, they still won't be up to the same level as even their low end dedicated GPUs.

Comparing it to the GeForce 8400M is very flawed and, even though it has all of the same features, it won't be as fast.