Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

shoulin333

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 26, 2007
California
So i am prety set on buying a 15" base model MBP on tuesday...

I will be selling my current desktop and laptop to help pay for it, while keeping my nice 24" screen to use the beast at home.

I am not super worried about redesign but if say i buy the MBP and a week or two later the new revision comes out with maybe a better GPU, will apple allow me to trade it up (say it was within the return period) without paying a restocking fee. I know my family friend bought the white iMac just before they released the Alum's and they paid him to keep his current gen since he didnt want to trade up.

Anyone have any experience in this area?

aristobrat

macrumors G5
Oct 14, 2005
I know my family friend bought the white iMac just before they released the Alum's and they paid him to keep his current gen since he didnt want to trade up.
Although store managers do sometimes make exceptions, the policy is like techlover says .. opened returns = 10% restock fee, even when trading up.

If they come out with a new model and drop the price of the model you purchased (within that 14 day window), they will credit you the difference.

I'd sit tight if you possibly could!!

alphaod

macrumors Core
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
Say you buy it today and it comes out in a week, then yes you can go and swap it, but if you're buying on now banking on one releasing soon, don't bother buying one now.

If you need a computer now and you just want to know, then that's their policy and go ahead and buy.

Dan Lorth

macrumors member
Jul 25, 2008
wait how certain are you guys that a new MBP is even coming out within 3 weeks that you are telling him to wait? Not trying to be defensive, simply curious.

aristobrat

macrumors G5
Oct 14, 2005
Wait, what? How does that work?
When Apple releases updates to a current product, they will sometimes discount the old version of the product. If that happens within 14 days of you purchasing a product, Apple will credit you the difference in prices.

And although AlphaOD had a good experience being able to trade-up without having to pay the restock fee, that's the exception to Apple's policy, not the norm. I wouldn't advise anyone to simply "expect" to be able to do that.

bobbleheadbob

macrumors 6502a
Feb 6, 2007
Massachusetts
:)If you are set on buying it this week and happy with the current specs, then go ahead and buy. Who knows when the next version of the MBP's will be coming out? Certainly not any of us here! :confused: :D

My understanding is that if you want to trade in your purchase within the return timeframe, they will charge you the 10% restocking fee. You might get lucky and get them to waive it, but I wouldn't count on it!

andrewdale

macrumors 6502a
Jan 28, 2008
Memphis, TN
Just buy it. The current MBP is an amazing machine. It will do more than most notebooks on the market and will do MUCH more than a portable really should do!

areusche

macrumors regular
Jun 24, 2008
Well this stinks! I got my new mac book pro for college back in June and now they're coming out with a new one :(

I should have read the rumors. Ugh I feel so dumb.

Apple Ink

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2008
In short.... within 14 days... no questions asked! After that, its you and the store manager!

Bobioden

macrumors 68000
Sep 23, 2007
Denver
Well this stinks! I got my new mac book pro for college back in June and now they're coming out with a new one :(

They will always be coming out with a new one. No one know when or what the new one will be.

Hrududu

macrumors 68020
Jul 25, 2008
Central US

Hey don't feel bad. I bought an original MBP, and before it even arrived at my house Apple speed bumped the whole line. Basically, it was obsolete before I even got to touch it. But I've sold that one since then and got a Core 2 model.

TSE

macrumors 68040
Jun 25, 2007
St. Paul, Minnesota
I wouldn't want a first generation model anyways. I learned from having a first generation BlackBook.

Second generation is the lowest I would go. I hope they come out with a new design, that way my MacBook Pro will be retro. :D

deltaiscain

macrumors regular
Jul 24, 2008
If it is within 14 days that you bought the macbook pro, you should be able to do that. Otherwise, just sell it on e-bay, and buy a new one.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.