If new MBP comes out, will they swap mine?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by shoulin333, Jul 27, 2008.

  1. shoulin333 macrumors 6502a

    Jun 26, 2007
    So i am prety set on buying a 15" base model MBP on tuesday...

    I will be selling my current desktop and laptop to help pay for it, while keeping my nice 24" screen to use the beast at home.

    I am not super worried about redesign but if say i buy the MBP and a week or two later the new revision comes out with maybe a better GPU, will apple allow me to trade it up (say it was within the return period) without paying a restocking fee. I know my family friend bought the white iMac just before they released the Alum's and they paid him to keep his current gen since he didnt want to trade up.

    Anyone have any experience in this area?
  2. techlover828 macrumors 68020


    Jun 28, 2007
    apple will charge you restocking fee to upgrade within 14 days.
  3. skye12 macrumors 65816


    Nov 11, 2006
    Austin, Tx
    At this point, just don't buy a new one. Wait.
  4. techlover828 macrumors 68020


    Jun 28, 2007
  5. aristobrat macrumors G5

    Oct 14, 2005
    Although store managers do sometimes make exceptions, the policy is like techlover says .. opened returns = 10% restock fee, even when trading up.

    If they come out with a new model and drop the price of the model you purchased (within that 14 day window), they will credit you the difference.

    I'd sit tight if you possibly could!!
  6. alphaod macrumors Core


    Feb 9, 2008
    Say you buy it today and it comes out in a week, then yes you can go and swap it, but if you're buying on now banking on one releasing soon, don't bother buying one now.

    If you need a computer now and you just want to know, then that's their policy and go ahead and buy.
  7. Dan Lorth macrumors member

    Jul 25, 2008
    wait how certain are you guys that a new MBP is even coming out within 3 weeks that you are telling him to wait? Not trying to be defensive, simply curious.
  8. yetanotherdave macrumors 68000


    Apr 27, 2007
    Bristol, England
    Wait, what? How does that work?

    It's no way near a garuntee, but this might help your decision making process.
  9. aristobrat macrumors G5

    Oct 14, 2005
    When Apple releases updates to a current product, they will sometimes discount the old version of the product. If that happens within 14 days of you purchasing a product, Apple will credit you the difference in prices.

    And although AlphaOD had a good experience being able to trade-up without having to pay the restock fee, that's the exception to Apple's policy, not the norm. I wouldn't advise anyone to simply "expect" to be able to do that.
  10. bobbleheadbob macrumors 6502a


    Feb 6, 2007
    :)If you are set on buying it this week and happy with the current specs, then go ahead and buy. Who knows when the next version of the MBP's will be coming out? Certainly not any of us here! :confused: :D

    My understanding is that if you want to trade in your purchase within the return timeframe, they will charge you the 10% restocking fee. You might get lucky and get them to waive it, but I wouldn't count on it!
  11. andrewdale macrumors 6502a

    Jan 28, 2008
    Memphis, TN
    Just buy it. The current MBP is an amazing machine. It will do more than most notebooks on the market and will do MUCH more than a portable really should do!
  12. areusche macrumors regular

    Jun 24, 2008
    Well this stinks! I got my new mac book pro for college back in June and now they're coming out with a new one :(

    I should have read the rumors. Ugh I feel so dumb.
  13. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

    Tallest Skil

    Aug 13, 2006
    1 Geostationary Tower Plaza
    Yep. It's not like your GPU could be worthless, either... :rolleyes:
  14. Apple Ink macrumors 68000

    Apple Ink

    Mar 7, 2008
    In short.... within 14 days... no questions asked! After that, its you and the store manager!
  15. Bobioden macrumors 68000


    Sep 23, 2007
    They will always be coming out with a new one. No one know when or what the new one will be.
  16. Hrududu macrumors 68020


    Jul 25, 2008
    Central US
    Hey don't feel bad. I bought an original MBP, and before it even arrived at my house Apple speed bumped the whole line. Basically, it was obsolete before I even got to touch it. But I've sold that one since then and got a Core 2 model.
  17. TSE macrumors 68030

    Jun 25, 2007
    St. Paul, Minnesota
    I wouldn't want a first generation model anyways. I learned from having a first generation BlackBook.

    Second generation is the lowest I would go. I hope they come out with a new design, that way my MacBook Pro will be retro. :D
  18. deltaiscain macrumors regular

    Jul 24, 2008
    If it is within 14 days that you bought the macbook pro, you should be able to do that. Otherwise, just sell it on e-bay, and buy a new one.

Share This Page