If no new iPad Air 3 this year

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Badrottie, Jul 20, 2015.

1. Badrottie Suspended

Badrottie

2. itsOver9000 macrumors 6502

itsOver9000

3. s2mikey macrumors 68020

s2mikey

No but refurbished units are turning up and the prices are good. Just get a refurb.

4. Andres Cantu macrumors 68030

Andres Cantu

If that were to happen, they would probably bump up the 16GB of storage to 32GB, perhaps lowering the 64GB to $549.

5. newellj macrumors 601

My guess is no, if no replacement product, no pricing change. That could depend on what happens with the iPad Pro and the possible Mini 4, though. In reality, no one really knows...

6. Ludatyk macrumors 65816

Ludatyk

My guess... iPad Pro gets introduced.. Replaces iPad Air 2 entry price. iPad Air 2 drops in price.

I think they gotta find away to rejuvenate the iPads... Bringing on a new iPad line will certainly help.

7. AppleRobert macrumors 603

While I think the IPad Pro would be better than just a slightly better Air 3 over the current 2, I can not see it rejuvenating iPad sales. Too big and pretty much there will be only a niche market for it.

8. Ludatyk macrumors 65816

Ludatyk

Well, not only will a iPad Pro be introduced but updating the iPad Mini 3 will be interesting as well.

Given that majority of owners update their iPads every 2 or 3 years. If there are compelling features specific to the iPad Pro... I'd believe many people will update toward it..

9. Badrottie thread starter Suspended

Badrottie

Just like Apple never change price for 2012 iPod Touch for 3 years.

10. The Game 161 macrumors G5

The Game 161

11. gppittjk macrumors regular

Does anyone else think that we may be looking at two sizes of the iPad Pro: 12.9" and 9.7"? A 13" tablet is only going to appeal to a limited audience - it would need unbelievable features to interest the average user. Apple could compete with both the Surface Pro and Surface lines just by adding a second, more "tablet" size to the Pro line. Start the 12.9" model at $899 and the 9.7" at $599 and you've at least got the option for the average user - the $100 premium over the Air line might draw a number of current Air or Air 2 users in if the feature set is attractive enough. If the 9.7" version were to happen, I'd believe that Apple would forego the Air 3 at least for this year.

12. Newtons Apple Suspended

Newtons Apple

If they do not introduce a Air 3 why would you think they would lower the price on the Air 2?

13. Newtons Apple Suspended

Newtons Apple

So many rumors about the Pro and no one know anything for sure.

I am looking at getting either the iPad Pro or the Surface Pro 4 late this year. I want it to be the iPad Pro but if it is shackled to iTunes for everything, the Surface will be for me! I need a real file system where I can keep thousands of documents for use in the field. Unless Apple opens up the iPad Pro and allows it to be more than just a larger iPad, it is a no go for me.

14. gppittjk macrumors regular

I forgot about the file system. That's huge for business use cases. I'm honestly considering buying Surface 3 if no iPad can:
    - Utilize accurate stylus for handwriting notes/annotating documents
    - Have some sort of accessible file system
    - Provide true read/write/modify for Office douments on the go - like it or not, the business world runs on MS Office

Right now, iPad Air 2 can do about half of the third one, but really can't compete with Surface on either of the first two. I can handle using dropbox, etc, if I can hand-write notes and better edit MS docs. Got my fingers crossed that any stylus developed for the Pro model will also be compatible with the Air models.

15. Newtons Apple Suspended

Newtons Apple

I am with you on that and this fall will be interesting.

16. Ludatyk macrumors 65816

Ludatyk

The Surface 3 is an awesome device... But the dev support is surely lacking. You would be using it primarily as a laptop, because using as a tablet w/ the lackluster App selection it would make owning a Surface underwhelming.

I enjoy my iPad because of the apps... They have plenty of 3rd party accessories that makes owning an iPad appealing. And with the introduction of SplitScreen & PiP, it would bring a more productivity element as soon as devs implement it to their apps.

Although the Surface 3 has more functionality, but I tend to think the iPad will continue to remain on everyone's most desired list..

17. newellj macrumors 601

That is basically the reason that I don't see the iPad replacing the rMB - at least not as long as the rMB runs OS X and the iPads run iOS.