If no slingbox then prolly no ichat right?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by wesk702, May 29, 2009.

1. wesk702 macrumors 68000

wesk702

I mean, if they are claiming that att is not allowing slingbox due to bandwidth then surely they wont allow video chats anytime soon right?

2. mavis macrumors 68040

mavis

Who knows.

Here in Japan, phones have had video chat capabilities for years. The way the carriers avoid bandwidth issues is by making video calls prohibitively expensive (not included with unlimited packet data) ... I'd wager that AT&T will do the same, if/when the iPhone supports this feature.

3. Niiro13 macrumors 68000

Possibly, but I'm not sure if it would happen. AT&T decided not to have tethering when the iPhone first released. Now it's deciding not to have streaming video. Those two things have been on the network on other phones for a while. Video chat has not been. If AT&T allows video chat, then that'd be the first thing (that I can think of right now) that they've decide to add with the iPhone (so far it's just been not adding).

4. Pennine macrumors 6502

What about i Chat over wi fi only?

5. TwinCities Dan macrumors 603

TwinCities Dan

Double Parked out front of the Courthouse
    I bet ATT would allow that! ;)

6. Kahnyl macrumors 68000

I was able to make video calls for years with other phones. They were expensive and crap (the calls). Nothing to be giddy about. If Apple does it, it will be beautiful, but that's a good reason to think they won't do it yet because it can't be perfect in 2009.

Then again, if anyone could perfect it it would be them but there is only so much anyone can sqeeze out of 3G.

7. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

ATT Video Share service

ATT has had a one-way video calling service for a couple of years.

In other words, one 3G phone could stream video to another, while you're both talking. Good for sharing vacation scenery, concerts, and so forth.

Expensive, yes. Limited to certain phones as well.

CNET review here.