If not a MBP 13" then a ........................

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by DaveFP, Jun 1, 2010.

1. DaveFP macrumors newbie

I am not a troll.

This is a straight up question from a forum used to Mac's quality.

I want to but a MBP 13 but I am not sure if right now is the time.

If I can do it I will but if not........... I am looking for advice. Want small 12-13" lap would you buy? Dell Mini 1012, HP Mini?

I need one for a trip in a couple of weeks and I can't figure out what to buy.

Any and all help appreciated. Thanks!

2. DaveFP thread starter macrumors newbie

Ugh- sorry about the typos; going too fast!

Thanks again!

3. deus ex machina macrumors regular

The difference in price buys you a solid OS with a passel of very useful software. Ask at a Mac Forum, expect a pro Mac response.

Seriously, buy based on your present needs. Read the Apple site literature re: the 13" and see if you like it.

4. Tom71 macrumors regular

Tom71

I also feel there is no real choice. You can't really compare Macs with Windows based PCs in my opinion. For instance my MBP i7 performs better than my old (desktop) i7 Dell in day to day use. It's more responsive and easier to work with - clearly a design of the OS. True CPU horse power clearly shows a lead for my old desktop but I'm not encoding video 24/7.

I think it depends on what your needs are. But if you want a Mac, then there's no choice but getting one.

5. djasterix macrumors 6502a

djasterix

Just buy that gorgeous 13" MBP, it's really a great machine, you won't regret it...

6. RayK macrumors 6502

Just got my 13" today as a replacement for my old white Macbook. Its a great machine. Very solid. Fast with everything. Loving playing games on it. Also works well with VMWare. I just need to get some more memory.

7. SolidGun macrumors 6502

SolidGun

One of the reason to pay premium is that 13" MBP will last you for quite some time compared to other manufacturer's notebooks....meaning you are buying one and using it for about 5 years (which I do even though I upgrade every two years and use the old unit as modded units) as opposed to buying a dell and using that for a couple of years if they last that long as they slow down until your frustration gets to you everyday.

8. stefan1975 macrumors 6502a

you do realise that in this case with the P8600 C2D in the MBP13 that would be like running a PIII/PIV-M in 5 years .... don't know how competitive it wil be by then.

i have been doing the same research here: http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=899101&highlight=asus

i am currently considering upgrading to the 15", waiting for the envy14, the MBP13 2011 or getting an asus like the UL30JT or the U30JC.

Since waiting isnt an option for you i guess you have a tough decision to make.

9. apple.gr macrumors regular

Buy the 13" MBP. It will cover all your needs and whenever you want you can sell it in a very good price!

10. Dayv macrumors 6502

The only smallish laptop I would consider is the 13" MBP. It may not have gotten the i5 upgrade, but it's a perfectly capable machine for almost any purpose. I have last year's entry-level 13" MBP, 2.26 GHz and 2 gigs of RAM, and I've been playing Portal and Half-Life 2 on it with only occasional hiccups. The newer 13" MBP has a slightly faster processor, 4 gigs of RAM, and a newer GPU which I am told makes a significant difference.

11. stefan1975 macrumors 6502a

i highly doubt the resale value of a C2D system, i think *now* it is more then capable and runs anything you throw at it and i know apple made smart decisions about the current MBP13 .. but would you consider buying a ppc or p4 laptop now? isn't that the same as selling a C2D in 3/4 years?

but of course if resale value isn't important, this point is void.

12. xi mezmerize ix macrumors 6502a

xi mezmerize ix

Why would you go on a Mac forum and ask if you should get a Mac or a windows PC? Almost registered on this site owns a Mac and/or thinks Macs are better than other computers. Get the Mac.

13. willieva macrumors 6502

I was in the same boat, comparing the 11-14" dells, hp's, and 13" mbp. The other machines are cheaper, but that's because they use crappy components. Slower processors, 800MHz memory, 4gig max, small batteries. And that windoze thingy too. The 13" mbp is a complete computer that doesn't cut any corners for such a portable device.

The only caveat would be if you were going someplace where there was a decent possibility of the computer getting stolen/trashed. Then something like the 11" dell would be good, but mostly because you wouldn't care it was gone.

14. lcseds macrumors 6502a

Not in the same league. Dell Mini, HP Mini are Atom based. The 13" mac is C2D. No comparison. Anyway, as was stated, you're in a Mac forum, guess which way the opinions will go.

15. newmacnooby macrumors regular

for what u want i woulg go for the new macbook its cheaper and its almost the same as the 13mbp. just get 4gb RAM and thats it,

apart frome being cheaper i also think it looks a loooooot better than the mbp`s i wish there was a wite 15"mbp.

16. vant macrumors 65816

If money is an issue for you, there is a $759 Macbook 2.26 refurb online right now.

Or you can do the education discount $950 - $175(iPod Touch) - $75 (Printer) = $700 for a brand new Macbook.

17. burp macrumors newbie

it's not a good time for mbp 13, just my opinion of course.

if money is an issue and/or you don't need last gen cpu speed,
    another vote for mb refurb, or even used. very nice machines

18. 7thMac macrumors 6502

I think it's a pretty good time to buy. If you are OS agnostic, the only computer that compares is the Sony Vaio Z. The others I considered did not have the same combination of battery life, great screen, size, weight, and build quality.