Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

shadrap

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 6, 2009
Mayberry
I was just wondering what the people returning their iPhone 4 would be going to. I came from Android/ Evo and had a iphone 3GS prior. I just can't see these being options to the iPhone 4, but wanted to see what you guys think.

Fernandez21

macrumors 601
Jun 16, 2010
If palm came out with new hardware that was at least on par with the iPhone, I would consider that.

stlredbird

macrumors 6502a
Feb 24, 2009
I'd go back to my Razr. Seriously, the best phone I've ever owned outside the iPhone.

R94N

macrumors 68020
May 30, 2010
UK
I don't have an iPhone yet, so I haven't voted. I will probably get one eventually, though.

krUnIzZlE

macrumors regular
Jun 30, 2010
Moon
Nokia N8.

Or the Nokia N9 ( The one that looks like a N9 but has a Slider Keyboard)

I really want a 12MP camera. lol. But my first choice is the iphone (of course) so if things dont work out, Nokia, here i come......... again

P.S. I can hold my nokia the way I want :)

:apple::apple::apple::apple::apple::apple::apple::apple::apple::apple::apple::apple::apple::apple::apple::apple::apple::apple::apple::apple:

Hellishness

macrumors 65816
Jan 27, 2010
Bay Area, CA
Nokia N8.

Or the Nokia N9 ( The one that looks like a N9 but has a Slider Keyboard)

I really want a 12MP camera. lol. But my first choice is the iphone (of course) so if things dont work out, Nokia, here i come......... again

P.S. I can hold my nokia the way I want :)

:apple::apple::apple::apple::apple::apple::apple::apple::apple::apple::apple::apple::apple::apple::apple::apple::apple::apple::apple::apple:

Why? Customers always want higher MP cameras. All that does is cram more pixels on a sensor that's already too small, making the pictures dark and look like crap.

krUnIzZlE

macrumors regular
Jun 30, 2010
Moon
Lol, did you forget theres better picture quality?? and the fact that the brightness can be adjusted...:p:p

Opstech

macrumors 6502a
Jan 5, 2010
California
Android, definitely.

I've used the iPhones since 07. I loved the first gen iphone. I was super excited about the 3g, but wasn't hot about the 3gs. I wanted to wait for the new design. iPhone 4 is awesome. What an upgrade for me. But if I had to go other, it would be an HTC with an android OS. apple should be proud that they have been copied by google. I think they're doing alright. This is good for apple, because they need competition to stay creative.

biffarino

macrumors member
Feb 1, 2010
Why? Customers always want higher MP cameras. All that does is cram more pixels on a sensor that's already too small, making the pictures dark and look like crap.

the sensor in the 4 is actually pretty good. like you say, it doesn't need crazy pixel counts. i don't think there's a phone out there with a backlit sensor either - that's still pretty new tech even for cameras.

the cam on the 4 goes above and beyond everything i'd need from a camera phone - like capturing moment snapshots.

mire3212

macrumors newbie
May 28, 2010
Austin, TX
simple, yet effective

as most photogs will say, the best camera, is the one you have with you. Personally, I don't carry any kind of point and shoot, even since 3Gs days. Now with the great sharpness and picture quality on the 4, i'm set. There are some tweeks of course we'd all like, but for the most part, it's a great camera. Besides, 5MP is more then enough to get a nice looking 8x10 print. (Still need to try one out for too)

Venator

macrumors newbie
Jun 30, 2010
No he didn't. He's trying to explain to you that higher MP doesn't = better picture quality.
Indeed.

However lower MP is not automatically lower quality now either.

Just because Apple said that it is using a good sensor, doesn't mean that others don't use good sensors as well. Oh, and let's not forget the optics and lens eh. (the thingy that collects and focuses the light in the "good sensor")

In reality, the only way to compare phone cameras is to search online for sample pictures taken by them.

Here's apparently some N8 pictures. I'd say that on this matter it is equal to the iphone, if not better.

krUnIzZlE

macrumors regular
Jun 30, 2010
Moon
No he didn't. He's trying to explain to you that higher MP doesn't = better picture quality.

Im not saying that the iphone4 has a crappy camera, i actually liked the camera quality alot. but im pretty sure the 12MP beast would win here... and nokia phones usually have ALOT of settings that you can change when using the camera. i use one so i know...

:cool::cool::p:p

trekkie604

macrumors 68000
Feb 25, 2008
Vancouver, Canada
Just upgraded to a 3GS for $20 with contract renewal. I'll consider buying an unlocked 4 from Apple later this year after all the issues are resolved and sell the 3GS

alecgold

macrumors 65816
Oct 11, 2007
NLD
If I was unhappy with my iPhone 4 I'd probably just go back to my 3GS. But I'm not unhappy. So I have no problem ;)

I'm not unhappy and the only problem I've had, twice in two weeks, was the proximity sensor kicking in/out and my earlobe ending the call prematurely.
Not enough to go back to my 3G(S) because the 4 is so much faster and has such a brilliant screen, I love it. And i expect Apple to come with an update in a week or two.

iphone.pct

macrumors newbie
Jul 3, 2010
If you arent having any signal issues (or more to the point dont give a damn if the signal drops by 2 bars under some conditions) then is the best phone on the market by a good margin.

Or you could buy a plasticy android phone? :D

TruckdriverSean

macrumors 6502a
Feb 28, 2009
Texas, US
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_0 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8A293 Safari/6531.22.7)

I'm sticking with the iPhone4, but if I had to give it up, I'd probably just use a 3GS.

I like Android as a competitor and motivator to Apple, but I don't like the UI.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.