If not Touchscreen then what?

Discussion in 'iPod' started by ds252, Aug 8, 2007.

1. ds252 macrumors regular

If there is no touchscreen put into the up coming 6g ipod then what will we see that will make us upgrade from our 5g ipods?

Longer battery life and brighter screen aren't a big enough change i don't think...even a new interface wouldn't do it for me?

What do you people think we will see?

2. bartelby macrumors Core

I'd honestly be perfectly happy with a bigger capacity and better battery life.

I couldn't give a toss about a touch screen. If it has one, then ok. That's nice.
    If not I'm not going to snivel like a little kid who's kitten just died.

3. FJ218700 macrumors 68000

FJ218700

same price point with 120 GB would sell me a new one

4. RadioStar macrumors member

Either it needs to keep the same form-factor and have a much larger screen (doesn't have to be multitouch, I don't really care) or it needs to be much smaller overall with the same-sized screen.

We're getting to the point where iPod tech is so old that the Zune looks like a reasonable alternative.

5. rockthecasbah macrumors 68020

rockthecasbah

But have the Zunes even been updated since they came out? They house what is essentially the same tech as the current 5th gen iPods, just obviously a larger screen and different interface.

For me, I'm dying for a touchscreen. I'll probably wait if one doesn't come out, especially since it could possibly come out by the time i'm in the market for my college laptop next year. My 5th Gen was stolen from my car when I was in an accident, so i've been using a 4th that I hoped to sell as soon as 6th gens come. If it is not touchscreen, however, I may seriously rethink that idea... Certainly better battery life, higher capacity, nicer visual interface would make me consider upgrading even if there is touchscreen, but i would not put it as "definite" in my book.

6. ds252 thread starter macrumors regular

What about the possibilities of a camera on the ipod or is that just a ridiculous notion?

7. bartelby macrumors Core

Looks no. Function definitely not!!

8. RadioStar macrumors member

Hey, I didn't say Zune was better than iPod, just that we're getting to the point where Apple's product lead has shrunk considerably; about the only advantages iPod has are the clickwheel and iTunes. At this point I could easily see a 2G Zune come out that bests the iPod, if only because iPod tech has been allowed to languish so long. Two years without a hardware update!

Here's to hoping for something revolutionary come September.

9. bloodycape macrumors 65816

How is itunes an advantage? I think any intermediary software is a disadvantage. All I want is something I can drag all my files into the device with no fuss. UMS is all I ask for. My Cowon A2 does that fine but since it was dropped by a friend I have to look for a new device that is UMS and has similar features. Now if the ipod was ums I be getting one.

p.s. depening on who you ask a solid amout of people will say the Zune has better sound than the ipod(then again a everyone who has owned both an, iPod, Zune and a Gigabeat S have said the Toshiba is even better). Plus the built if FM radio is nice feature at the gym or when you are tired of your music.