If not WordPerfect, then WHAT?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by JCFKorat, Apr 22, 2009.

1. JCFKorat macrumors newbie

Without echoing the lament that it would be nice to have WordPerfect for Mac available once again, I am wondering: Excepting those who are porting over from the last version of WP for Mac, what is everyone ELSE using for word processing?

Specifically, I am wondering whether anyone can give me any guidance for a word processor that is "typist-based," rather than "graphics- or typesetting-based."

What I am driving at is: those who know WP remember that it was possible for a typist to do virtually everything WITHOUT having to lift hands from the keyboard. (Yes, I *know* one can do this in some ways with MS Word.) WP presented you with a "blank sheet" and you would JUST TYPE. When you needed to insert a footnote, a keystroke combination would do it; when you wanted to flush right, a keystroke would do it. Your hands did not leave the keyboard. Also, of course, there was that lovely "reveal codes" feature. But what I wonder is whether there is any other word processor that is full-featured and which works even remotely like WordPerfect does/did?

Ideas, anyone?
    Many thanks.

--JCFKorat
    Los Angeles

2. JCFKorat thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks, dukebound.

Forgive me if I seem uninformed: what's "vi?"

--J

3. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

4. jrabbit macrumors member

Try WriteRoom. It's specifically designed to have a clean screen, just for typing.

I use it when I want to really, really focus; then I copy out the text into whatever other program I need (if necessary).

Here's the link: http://www.hogbaysoftware.com/products/writeroom

5. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Learn LaTeX. There's a Macrumors guide.

6. mysterytramp macrumors 65816

mysterytramp

Or, you could find a word processor you like, then use the Keyboard Shortcuts tab of the Keyboard and Mouse preference pane to add what keyboard commands the program lacks.

This gives you a few more options ... however, so many programs have standardized on OS X's built-in ruler and font management. I don't believe you can alter margins or point sizes without using the mouse (maybe you could if you could build a style).

But if you're not interested in something "graphics- or typesetting-based" maybe those features aren't important ...

mt

7. dolphin842 macrumors 65816

dolphin842

Seconding LaTeX. Once you learn the syntax you can make it easy on yourself by using an editor like TextMate (that has keyboard-based shortcuts for everything), or get something like Typinator or Textexpander and making the shortcuts yourself.

8. JCFKorat thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you, mysterytramp. All suggestions are appreciated!

Control or Option Panels Part of my problem with the many word processors is that, in the name of giving users total control, the typist must often open a "font control" box, or a "table creation panel" or something like that. You end up taking your hands off the keyboard, moving to your mouse to set the radio buttons or the parameters via the control panel or options window. I think this is probably great for desktop publishers, but for many of us who write it is an hinderance instead of a help.

Use of an emulator. I had thought of using CrossOver to run WordPerfect, but the CrossOver site says that it is not optimized for use with WordPerfect, so it's not clear how clunky it would be. Does anyone have experience with CrossOver and WordPerfect? (I was avoiding using Parallels because I did not want to have to buy Parallels + Windows, when WordPerfect is the ONLY program in windows that I would be using; however, I may be forced to it...)

Many thanks to you and others for your helpful suggestions and thoughts. I look forward to reading more.

--JCF

9. mysterytramp macrumors 65816

mysterytramp

I'm in writing biz myself. Spent a lot of time with old versions of WordPerfect. Remember Xywrite? I solve the problem by working modally. Write, then format, then write some more, then format some more. If nothing else, it helps avoid carpal tunnel.

mt

10. JCFKorat thread starter macrumors newbie

An earlier poster suggested something like that. jrabbit suggested using WriteRoom to write, then pasting into another processor for formatting. Have you tried WriteRoom?

11. dolphin842 macrumors 65816

dolphin842

Crossover has a compatibility database you can search, though the entries for various WordPefect versions range from so-so to 'known not to work,' so I'd avoid that route. Also, I'd avoid setting up a VM just for a word processor unless you have lots of RAM to spare.

If you don't like the idea of learning LaTeX, there are a few other 'traditional' word processors available, notably Nisus, Mariner, and Mellel.

What specifically are you writing? Papers for class, business, a novel? There are apps for specific uses, like books (Ulysses / Scrivener) or screenplays (Celtx).

12. mysterytramp macrumors 65816

mysterytramp

No. I do the real stuff on a Dell laptop with Microsoft Word, mostly cussing and wishing I sold shoes for a living. When I need to write substantially on my Mac, I use Bean.

mt

13. JFreak macrumors 68040

JFreak

Write a billion emails to Corel from unique email addresses stating that you would be willing to buy WP if there was a Mac version available?