If Office:2015 is Yosemite only, will you update from your current OS X?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Traverse, Feb 19, 2015.

?

If Office:Mac is Yosemite only, will you update from Your OS?

1. Yes, I will update to get the next version of Office

22 vote(s)
    44.9%
  2. No, Office isn't important enough for me to update my OS

22 vote(s)
    44.9%
  3. I'm not sure.

5 vote(s)
    10.2%
  1. Traverse macrumors 603

Traverse

There are rumors that the next version of Office for Mac will require OS X 10.10 or later. The recent OneNote for Mac update requires 10.10 so it is looking more and more possible that Office will be the same.

For those of you still on OS X Mavericks (or an earlier version), if Office for Mac is Yosemite only will you update?

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

I only upgrade my OS when a new version offers something I need or want that isn't present in my current version. I can't see anything that MS Office would offer that I need, that my current Office version doesn't provide. Based on that, it's doubtful that I'll upgrade to Office 2015 or Yosemite anytime soon, unless I buy a new device that comes with Yosemite preinstalled.

3. Traverse thread starter macrumors 603

Traverse

I really suspect that Office:2015 will just bring a new UI and better performance which isn't significant enough for me.

The only exception is Excel. The current version of Excel for Mac is lacking in both number of functions and functionality compared to the Windows (or even iOS version). But I think I'll run Office 2013 via VMWare before I update my entire OS for one software package.

4. redheeler macrumors 603

redheeler

Most who regard Microsoft Office as important are already running the latest version in a Windows VM or Bootcamp ;)

(or the current Mac version works fine for them and will continue to do so)

5. Ulenspiegel macrumors 68020

Ulenspiegel

I dare borrow GGJstudios' words as I think exactly the same.
    ("If it ain't broke, don't fix it").

6. Traverse thread starter macrumors 603

Traverse

To me, Excel for Mac is broke, but the remedy of VMWare Fusion is more attractive than an entire system update unless OS X 10.11 proves quite good.

7. snorkelman macrumors 6502a

snorkelman

hmm put up with a hideous UI update to run an office suite that's also got a hideous UI update? Three guesses ..and none of them are Yes or Maybe :D

8. vista980622 macrumors 6502

Leaked copy of Microsoft's internal slideshows includes screenshots of Office 2015 for Mac running on Mavericks.

But it might change between then and release.

9. Ulenspiegel macrumors 68020

Ulenspiegel

Wow! That is interesting!

10. Traverse thread starter macrumors 603

Traverse

Well, how do we know the slides were real?

OneNote only supports 10.10 now, I doubt they'll fragment like that.

11. Ulenspiegel macrumors 68020

Ulenspiegel

Traverse, you could have left me in some pleasing doubt/utopia...;)

12. vista980622 macrumors 6502

It was leaked two weeks before the official release of Outlook 2015 for Mac, and Outlook screenshots in it is identical to the actual shipping version.

But again, it's hard to tell. Since Microsoft Office for iPad supported iOS 6.x during development stage (officially-told information) but public release only supported 7.x.

13. logicstudiouser macrumors 6502

logicstudiouser

No way, I'll stick with the perfectly functional 10.6.8 as long as possible. Office 2011 runs fine for my needs.

14. Traverse thread starter macrumors 603

Traverse

15. sracer macrumors 603

sracer

I voted "no" because there was no "oh hell no!" option. :)
    I'll be sticking with iWork 09 and LibreOffice.

16. JuryDuty macrumors 6502

JuryDuty

I always upgrade to the latest OS but if I didn't, MS Office would cause me to do it. I use it all day and I'm ready for a new version!

17. Agent-J macrumors regular

Sadly, I had no choice. I have to beta test Office 2016 for people at work, so today I was forced to downgrade--er, upgrade my rMBP OS from Mavericks.

Yosemite is ghastly in appearance. It's a sort of kind-of-flat-but-not-really that fails at being flat, and also at being not-flat. Really unappealing to me. And don't get me started on Helvetica Neo or whatever it is as the system font. Maybe I can find an icon pack that doesn't make me want to vomit every time I look at the screen, but apparently I'm stuck with that abominable system font.

But Office has the functionality the old 2011 Office was lacking. Combined with OneDrive, it's going to be a very nice addition. But at a great cost. :(

18. GreatDrok macrumors 6502a

GreatDrok

I have both 2011 and the new beta installed on my rMacBook Pro. Performance of the new version is terrible. Really slow. Now I know it is a beta but really, it is desperately slow so I'm not holding out much hope it will be any faster than 2011 was and frankly if I could still run it I would be on Office 2004 still because even under Rosetta on Snow Leopard, that was faster than any of the Intel native versions.

19. ann713 macrumors 6502a

Absolutely. I've been running the preview for two days, writing up papers and everything seems to be running smooth. The new UI overhaul is great, so much cleaner.

20. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

It depends.

Do you need features in Yosemite or apps that require Yosemite? In this case we're talking about Office. If you want the new version of MS Office then your hands are tied. You need to upgrade pure and simple.

I'm already on Yosemite, its been fairly stable, I'm happy with it. I've not been bitten by some of the bugs others have. Yet, I understand the fear and loathing.

It all boils down to weighing what is more important. The new version of Office and a less stable OSX or running an older version of Office but you're on a version of OS X that is more stable and/or looks better.

I've said this elsewhere, those who resisted upgrading face this issue, some sooner then others. If you choose to stay on an old version of OS X, you are painting yourself into a corner. Eventually there will be apps that you want/need that will require the newer version. I think this is probably the major app that is causing the most consternation at this point.

Good news or bad news, we'll be hearing about 10.11 in 3 months (and hopefully it will be more of a bug fix/platform stabilization version) and then in the fall seeing it roll out. In other words, you'll be faced with a similar question come September/October. To upgrade to the latest version of OS X.

21. andyp350 macrumors 6502a

Just out of curiosity, what are people reasons for not upgrading their OS to the latest version when its a free update? Problems when upgrading OS are rare and even more rarely unfixable. Is it just a case of being stubborn against change and being stuck in your ways or are there other reasons people don't want to get the new OS and new features etc for free?

22. Traverse thread starter macrumors 603

Traverse

Can someone tell me: have they added more functions to Excel? Excel for Windows and even iOS supported functions that the Mac version did not and I would get errors when I tried to open them. I can't find any release notes.

If Office turns out to be REALLY good I may update to OS X 10.11

----------

For me it wasn't a case of being stubborn. I found Yosemite's thin fonts, translucency, and lack of contrast difficult to use. However, I don't have the best eyes and some severe color blindness so that may play a part.

23. kwokaaron macrumors 6502a

kwokaaron

I was hoping that the final version would support Mavericks but from what I've learnt from another poster, it seems Office 2016 uses APIs that are only available on Yosemite. Honestly though, I'm not quite sure why they would only support Yosemite, that seems pretty ridiculous imo.

24. roadbloc macrumors G3

roadbloc

No. The older Office does me fine. It'll wait in my 365 subscription until (or if) I get a newer Mac. It's a shame since Microsoft have a history of supporting Apple's older OSs better than Apple themselves.

The only reason I don't use Yosemite is the god awful interface, which I'd happily push through if it wasn't for the fact that it gives me some brutal headaches after a few hours of use. The design is simply just horrible.

25. Traverse thread starter macrumors 603

Traverse

I got those too, but I often get headaches so I don't know if it was me or Yosemite.

I'm holding out for OS X 10.11. I don't expect a UI change, but I'm hoping for some better Accessibility controls. System wide bold font would go a long way.