if only Apple had used a bigger charger

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Batavian, Mar 30, 2012.

1. Batavian macrumors 6502

Batavian

My one and only complaint about the iPad 3 is the underpowered charger. I don't understand why Apple would offer such a world class device and then opt for using the same charger as the iPad 2. It's as if when Apple came out with the iPad 1 or iPad 2 and only offered the charger for the iPhone. Same story. I'm filling a battery bucket that's 70% bigger with the same hose.

The AnandTech article is really a good one. They've done the best and fairest analysis to date.
    http://www.anandtech.com/show/5688/apple-ipad-2012-review/10

The battery in the iPad 3 is larger than that in the Air. The Air has a 45 Watt charger. The iPad 3 has a 10 Watt charger. Why couldn't Apple have offered this for the iPad 3 ?
    http://store.apple.com/us/product/MC747LL/A?afid=p228|Google&cid=AOS-US-SHOPIP-Google

I've heard that USB wont handle that wattage. Who cares? Why does iPad 3 have to use a USB cord for charging? You can't charge it from a USB port on a computer. Use USB for syncing. But it would have been nice to get a proper charger for the iPad 3, even if it were a dedicated, proprietary device accessory.

2. camfunction macrumors member

Could be a limitation of the dock connector. Would have been nice to get a tiny magsafe connector on the bottom, but I'm not complaining. I charge it at night when I sleep.

3. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

I think there will be differing views on this. Personally I like the 10w charger b/c it hardly takes up any room in my travel bag & weighs almost nothing. A faster charger would invariably be larger and be heavier. Charging really has not been an issue for me. I have the same routine as I did w/ previous iPads -- hook it up at night when it gets in the 55-60% range if possible. When I wake I have a fully charged iPad.

4. Capt T macrumors 6502a

I charge mine overnight usually, so the length of time to charge doesn't faze me. Put it on the charger at less than 20% and about 5 hours later it is at 100%. Have charged it while using it, charges about 10% an hour while using. Not sure why this is a big issue. Granted I'm not playing that infinity blade game while charging, but still using it the way I normally do.

Nothing has changed, noticibly! for me from the previous 2 generations when it comes to charging the device. But I don't sit there and watch it charge either.

5. Batavian thread starter macrumors 6502

Batavian

How big (physical size) is the Air charger? I don't have an Air and its hard to tell from that picture. It looks to be the same size physically as the 10W iPad block.

Anyway, maybe Apple will offer a faster charger as an accessory some time down the road. I'd buy it.

6. Epic Xbox Revie macrumors 6502a

Epic Xbox Revie

I'd say it's about 150% of the size of the iPad charger.
    -the 45W adapter