If only DAT bezel goes away

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by nerdAFK, Apr 24, 2014.

1. nerdAFK macrumors regular

nerdAFK

Tried a little modification to the renderings from this thread.http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1727302

Then even if the screen goes to 5.1", the iPhone would be about the width of Moto X, which is about the limit of comfortable one handed use.

4.7"? It's gonna be basically the same as the current iPhone 5s. That would be awesome feelings just like old times.

Apple, as it seems that large iPhone is indeed on the way, please make DAT bezel go away.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. eddiec312 macrumors 6502

eddiec312

I don't think the bezel will completely go away on the side edges because of cases mostly. It's going to be rather difficult for cases not to cover a tiny bit of the sides and thus covering the screen.

I do agree though that they should the make the bezel a lot less on the top and bottom and maybe the sides a tiny bit, but not remove it completely.

3. iZollo macrumors regular

iZollo

It would be nice if the home button could be incorporated into the screen some how with a physical click present. Hopefully they will make the iPhone 6 bezel free.

4. iMerik macrumors 6502

I'm fine with the top and bottom bezel if the side bezel could be minimized greatly. It wouldn't feel like a small screen framed in by black bars if they can achieve that.

5. RoboWarriorSr macrumors 6502a

Removing the bezel would make activating CC in landscape a lot harder then it already is... doubt the bezel will go away anytime soon.

6. nerdAFK thread starter macrumors regular

nerdAFK

I mean side bezel
    Control center wouldn't be affected at all.

7. carjakester macrumors 68020

carjakester

i think if they were able to remove the bezel they would have already by now... clearly it has purpose.

8. nerdAFK thread starter macrumors regular

nerdAFK

For current 3.5/4" iPhones. It's not necessary to remove the side bezel. It's just 58.6mm.

Especially for 4" iPhone 5/5s, reducing width would make the phone look even taller, and thus not aesthetic as it is now.

I'm not sure if there is a technical barrier on this bezel-free thing. But I (read we) do hope the side bezel could be as minimal as possible on the next iPhone.

----------

I'm sure the case industry has no influence on Apple's decisions. It's the other way around.

Plus, I'm sure the case manufacturers could work out many ways to put a case on an iPhone with edge to edge display :cool:

9. RoboWarriorSr macrumors 6502a

I said landscape, CC would definitely be affected if used in landscape. You are referring to what is known as portrait.

10. nerdAFK thread starter macrumors regular

nerdAFK

Sorry, didn't notice that. Still, I don't think it would be affected though.

Swiping up from the edge to activate the Control Center has nothing to do with bezels, as long as the bottom of the screen detect input gesture, the Control Center will be activated.

11. RoboWarriorSr macrumors 6502a

The current action requires one to swipe starting from the very edge of the device which would become a lot harder with bezel less devices unless Apple changes the activation placement which might cause annoying accidental triggers.

12. nerdAFK thread starter macrumors regular

nerdAFK

I don't see anything wrong with sticking with swiping from the very edge.
    Plus, by swiping from the edge, your finger actually feels the physical edge of the phone and give you an actual feedback.
    Of course, Apple will consider it much more carefully than us.

BTW, I don't even remember using Control Center in landscape mode on my iPhone.

13. RoboWarriorSr macrumors 6502a

I use it quite a bit when I'm playing music and controlling it while using Safari, reading books, comics, or playing games.

14. nerdAFK thread starter macrumors regular

nerdAFK

You really should concentrate your web browsing, books, games or whatever it is that you are doing. ;)

I could see people skip to the next song while listening to music though. But why hold you phone in landscape when reading or listening to music? :rolleyes:

That being said. I've already explained this will not affect your usage style.

15. RoboWarriorSr, Apr 24, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 24, 2014

RoboWarriorSr macrumors 6502a

My headphones doesn't have a skip button so I pull up cc when I want to skip a music. I read books in landscape because the text is too small in portrait (PDF doesn't allow you to change font size). Playing games like PvZ pretty much doesn't require concentration one is mentally challenged. I already have a somewhat difficult time. Case makers will be pulling their heads over this issue as well.

16. nerdAFK thread starter macrumors regular

nerdAFK

Well, you are going off topic now.
    You don't have to try to insult me by using word like mentally challenged.
    I could just say unless you're mentally challenged, why would you play PvZ.
    Anyway, your (imagined) problem solved. You are welcome.

17. RoboWarriorSr, Apr 24, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 24, 2014

RoboWarriorSr macrumors 6502a

I didn't call you mentally challenged and it wasn't off topic, I merely just mentioned a game that require no concentration, from the sound of your post it seemed like you thought I was playing games like Modern Combat or GTA which may have issues with using CC anyway. It makes a lot more sense to use CC than use the app switcher to change music. I would question why a game like PvZ be considered for mentally challenged people, it's a game made for casual consumption that requires no concentration or thought, a "game" unlike playing Heroes of Order and Chaos which is a different type of game that wouldn't work well with the scenario described. This also isn't a problem limited to me, other people in this forum has brought up this topic when the mentioning of bezel less is mentioned.

I see where the misunderstanding occurred I re-word it bit so it doesn't sound as cynical and directed.

18. nerdAFK thread starter macrumors regular

nerdAFK

I've said I could see people using Control Center to skip songs.
    Entry level of PvZ might not need concentration, but I guess the further you go, the harder it gets. Nevermind about it's difficulty. Let's say it does not require any concentration. You could drink something or whatever you feel comfortable. But what's the point of messing up with Control Center (quite a bit, as you say) while playing it? Activating it would pause the game. And then you have to tap resume. Why so much extra effort playing a game ,which needs no concentration? OCD with Control Center? Guess we are from different ages.

----------

I'm sure the case makers will work out plenty of ways to survive.
    People are just full of ideas.

19. bushman4 macrumors 68000

Ah the bezel, something that will continue to haunt us for years to come. For whatever the reason is it seem as though Apple does not want to eliminate that bezel.
    Every concept picture we've seen has no bezel going back to the iphone5. Its hard to believe that Apple doesn't appreciate that people don't want a bezel. Perhaps the technology isn't right yet to accommodate it.

20. nerdAFK thread starter macrumors regular

nerdAFK

Yeah, exactly. After all these years, I'm still not sure why no one has completely get rid of DAT bezel. As for Apple, that is currently not necessary as 3.5/4" is not wide at all. But, with all those Android flagships being wider and wider for normal people to handle, is there a technical problem with producing edge to edge display? Anyone in the industry for this question? BTW, I've notice that all my iPhones and iPads have an extra slim black stripe around the screen, while it doesn't seems to exist on my HTC One.

21. RoboWarriorSr macrumors 6502a

I'm curious by what you mean "a lot of effort", it's just a swipe up for CC? And it's not like I'm skipping every other song, just a few that may seem out of place during a listening session. While games isn't a good example, this would be a lot more pertinent for reading PDF or redditing.

Edit: After seeing the new renderings, using a curved side may elevate this problem theoretically (never used a device with completely curved glass sides) though the design isn't exactly visually appealing.

22. nerdAFK thread starter macrumors regular

nerdAFK

Again, you've been off topic.

You have to first understand there would be no issue with your usage model if the bezel goes away or become very thin.

Will you be a darling and explain how exactly that would make your activating Control Center painful or causing accidental input? Since you have not make it clear just by saying it would be harder

23. hockeyman94 macrumors regular

It will probably not go away for a long time because there is a plastic bezel around the screen and it needs to be glued to the glass and needs enough surface area for the bezel to stick to the glass.

24. RoboWarriorSr macrumors 6502a

I don't see how I am off topic, my response still pertains to the problem. Here is a visual representation where hopefully you'll see the issue. [​IMG]
    Pink: where CC would best be activated including swipe gestures
    Green: where in the possible bezel iPhone CC would be activated if there are no changes including swipe gestures
    Red: a rough position where the gesture would not be recognized, trying to start the swipe around this area is a hit and miss
    Yellow: where in the bezel less iPhone would the swipe gesture need to expand in order to work properly along with other gestures at the expense of accidental activation.

25. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Very well said.
    I have a hard time activating that feature with various different cases on.