If only... Dream MacBook.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by EvOlso, Jul 24, 2013.

1. EvOlso macrumors newbie

Shhhh... If only... (This is fake btw, just a mockup by me of my "dream computer," keep moving).

[​IMG]

You don't know how bad I want this to be real. Better yet if it was $900 but guess the likelyhood of that happening...

A real question would be when they release the new Macbooks... Would not be smart to release them after all those college-going-macbook-buying students head off. That'd be an angry crowd.

2. alex0002 macrumors 6502

3. Ifti macrumors 68000

This is what I dont understand - surely they wouldn't release it AFTER the BTS promo is over? That would result in tons of upset students!

4. PDFierro macrumors 68040

Quite the opposite.

5. Ifti macrumors 68000

?????

6. PDFierro macrumors 68040

Well, sure there would be a lot of upset students. But from Apple's perspective, it makes more sense to release the new rMBPs after the BTS promo is over. They have always done something like this in the past.

It's not like they would be releasing them 14 days after the BTS promo started or something.

7. leman macrumors 604

There is no such thing as mobile 3.2 Ghz Haswell CPU. As to the rest... its just a regular rMBP with 802.11ac? Even the price is in-line with the current one. This is probably the most conservative prediction regarding the rMBP update I have seen here so far :D

8. dazlicous macrumors 6502a

dazlicous

If its a dream machine why does it only have 256GB SSD and 16GB of Ram

9. EvOlso thread starter macrumors newbie

Just dreaming... Oh, did you miss the Igzo display? :rolleyes:

10. leman macrumors 604

No, I deliberately ignored it ;) I would also love to see IGZO displays, but AFAIK, there are no displays which are using this technology aside of an obscure smartphone or two... so I would like to see some proper tests and reviews first.

11. BlackbookGuy macrumors regular

I hope something like that will be available for you, but its not much of a stretch, except for the clock speed, is it?

I would aim higher :)

12. Ahmahzahn macrumors member

Anand just posted a review of the new ASUS 32"... dell just released their 30" as well (it might have been a 32", not 100% on that)
    http://anandtech.com/show/7157/asus-pq321q-ultrahd-4k-monitor-review

13. w00t951 macrumors 68000

w00t951

The GT650M is slower than Haswell's integrated graphics. That's a waste of space.

14. VTECaddict macrumors 6502

All the fall hardware refreshes in recent years have been after the BTS promo ended.

15. tamvly macrumors 6502a

tamvly

Apple likes to maintain the price points. $900 for a 15" MacBook Pro will never happen.

16. bill-p macrumors 65816

Care to back that up? Because all numbers point to the opposite.

650M is 1.5x faster than Haswell's FASTEST integrated graphics on average... and the gap widens at higher resolutions.

17. bs-2010 macrumors member

Why would your dream Macbook have an old 650m?

18. kaellar macrumors 6502

true for gaming performance only. computing is way faster on Iris Pro.

p.s. the rMBP of my dreams is:
    15" rMBP with the same screen and form-factor
    i7-4950HQ(Iris Pro for computing and general usage)
    780M 4gb (for gaming)
    32gb of RAM (yes, I need that much RAM)
    1tb pcie SSD
    802.11AC wi-fi
    fullHD facetime camera
    built-in DAC+headamp of better quality
    12 hours of battery life with dGPU disabled.
    innovative (extremely silent and efficient) cooling system to help this baby not to melt.

one can dream for sure :D

19. bill-p macrumors 65816

Computing is true only for OpenCL and QuickSync, but QuickSync is Intel-only.

CUDA and DirectCompute are still faster on 650M. (well, CUDA isn't even available on anything other than nVidia GPUs)

So it's 50/50.

In case you are wondering which major application makes use of CUDA, well, try Adobe AfterEffects.

And gaming performance shows OpenGL performance, which is important for AutoCAD, Photoshop, and Maya.

20. GSPice macrumors 68000

GSPice

21. w00t951 macrumors 68000

w00t951

It'd be an inch thick, too. Samsung's 1TB SSDs are in a 2.5" enclosure, which is almost thicker than the entire MacBook Pro. The limits of NAND density have been reached, so you're not packing more storage into the same amount of space. I think 768GB is as good as you're getting.

The DAC is of decent quality from either Cirrus or Texas Instruments. It's almost as good as the one in my external DAC/amp. However, no matter how good the audio processor is, it's always going to be useless in a laptop because of EMI (electromagnetic interference). You're going to get buzzing and hissing no matter what.

And I think adding both your GPU and CPU would triple Apple's current TDP, just saying. Either need to cut down power consumption by using lower specc'd parts, or make the thing thicker.

22. kaellar macrumors 6502

all the things you're saying are pretty obvious, don't you think? :)
    the topic's title is "Dream MacBook", and it's for reason ;)

23. w00t951 macrumors 68000

w00t951

I think Dream MacBook should be within the realism of physics possibilities, no? I want my dream MacBook to vomit money and cure cancer. It should also last 5 years per charge and project a holographic display while also having 6X 4K displays as backup. And it should run games from 2019 at max settings over all 4K displays at once. And it should change colors depending on what you're setting as your background.

24. kaellar macrumors 6502

THAT is definitely beyond the realism of physics possibilities. Being sarcastic isn't the best way to discuss something with a friendly mood guy, you know..
    BTW, there are battery researches that claim thousand times better battery life from the source of the same size (due to organized internal cell structure). If Apple bought that research results and moved the technology to mass production, they could easily keep the battery that's tens of times smaller than the current one and still maintain insane battery life. Thus, in turn, would free up the internal space for all the things I've mentioned including way better cooling system. Cheers.

25. w00t951 macrumors 68000

w00t951

Links, please! What you're describing is physically impossible. Or is that sarcasm I'm missing? :confused: