If only the MBP was $600(NZ) cheaper

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by RabidRabbit, Jun 6, 2008.

1. RabidRabbit macrumors newbie

The title says it all really.

If it was around $600 cheaper down here in New Zealand I know Apple would be inundated with sales. The amount of people i've met who say they'd get a mac if only they weren't so expensive. Its always the same. "I'd love one but for the price I can get a Dell" etc etc.

Come on Apple. Lower the prices to a more competitive amount!

2. Kaupa macrumors regular

Hey, just buy a refurb one or a last generation MBP!
    I got mine for 1000€ less than before the penryns came out and still saved about 200€ to a refurb one...

3. RabidRabbit thread starter macrumors newbie

its an idea but when you;re going to get one which is to be your main workhorse, most (i for one) will want to get a brand new one.

Oh well. Time to start saving those pennies I guess :)

4. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

5. Alex72 macrumors member

Agreed -- I'm kind of in the same boat, though current generation ones do show up in the refurb section every now and then for a few hundred dollars (US) cheaper.

What I'm mainly interested in is some definitive tests that show whether or not SSE4 provides a big enough boost for me to not look at a previous generation model for ALLOT less...

A.

6. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

I was going to say, "If it's $600NZ cheaper it would be called a Dell."

7. RabidRabbit thread starter macrumors newbie

$600 cheaper would still make it more expensive than a Dell, but around that price it would be a much better contender.

If it was $1000 cheaper then Apple would be in trouble because everyone would buy one! They wouldn't be able to keep up with demand!

8. RabidRabbit thread starter macrumors newbie

Hey, thanks for that! i`ll give it a go.

9. ruskiwi macrumors member

They're still more than they cost in the US. What I don't get is - they all ship from China anyway, right? It's not like they're cheaper in the US because that's where they're assembled...

10. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

First of all, they'll spend at least an extra $100 on anti-virus/firewall/spyware software.

Second of all, show them iLife. You don't get anything like iLife with Windows. There's another $100.

As for the rest of it, explain how Mac OS is like a Lexus and Windows is like a Hyundai. Unless they're a Hyundai fanboy, they'll understand. You get what you pay for.

11. ruskiwi macrumors member

More like: Windows is like a Lada... which reminds me... you know why they have those window heater strips on the rear window of a Lada car? It's to keep your hands warm in winter when you're pushing it... :D

12. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Explain why I have heat strips on my Beemer? ;)