If only you could purchase tv shows...

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by eoblaed, Mar 25, 2011.

1. eoblaed macrumors 65816

eoblaed

... like you can with the ATV1.

I know the ATV2 doesn't have any real local storage, but there's no reason it couldn't allow a purchase and act as a proxy to stream the show to your itunes library, allowing you to watch it as it does so.

We purchase all tv shows we watch. The kids like to go back and rewatch shows months later. Sometimes not all of us can watch the shows at the same time and want to get into a series after everyone else has already watched a season and half, etc. Purchasing tv shows is non-negotiable for us.

Yes, I could purchase the show(s) through iTunes directly, but that involves going into the other room, making the purchase, and then waiting for it to download completely before being able to stream it from iTunes to the ATV2. Compared to the ATV1 where we just all sit on the couch, pick something, and start watching, that's just awful. :(

Ah, well. Guess I'll keep using my ATV1 until it bricks.

2. Shoesy macrumors 6502a

Shoesy

Crazy step in the wrong direction huh? You cant even rent shows here now. Oh well - guess I'll just keep my money then apple. Nice one.

3. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

That's why there's XBMC so you can store all your TV shows/Movies in your NAS or server, ready to be viewed whenever u want.

4. Shoesy macrumors 6502a

Shoesy

Doesn't really help with getting them legally though does it. :p

5. zedsdead macrumors 68040

It would be cool if Apple could bring the functionality back. They can't simply have the movie download because there is no syncing anymore. They could stream the purchase to the Apple TV like a rental and then add it to your queue on you computer to download later. I think that would work, but I don't expect it to happen.

6. patp Guest

This would be ideal. Stream it ATV2 but have the ability to download it at te same time to tour iTunes library.

I'm finding renting doesn't work for me. I want to re watch the show later.

7. Hammie macrumors 65816

Hammie

If I want to purchase something and I am not at my computer, I use my iPad to connect to my Mac Mini, purchase the program, and then stream it to my ATV2.

Sure, it sort of stinks that we cannot save directly from the ATV2, but there are relatively easy work arounds.

8. stompy macrumors regular

Seems like a good solution, everyone on this thread should send their feedback to apple: http://www.apple.com/feedback/appletv.html

9. BladesOfSteel macrumors regular

BladesOfSteel

This is exactly what I do. I simply got the free version of VNC Mocha. It gives ms the quick and easy access I need.

10. Hammie macrumors 65816

Hammie

I use the same app.

I also have Remote HD so I can purchase movies even before I get home. :cool:

11. dmm219 macrumors 6502

you mean a relatively "expensive" work around. No one is going to be spurred to buy a $500 ipad just so they can buy shows on their apple tv 2.

12. eoblaed thread starter macrumors 65816

eoblaed

I've considered this as a possible work-around (I already have Log Me In Ignition on my iPad), but it still suffers from the not-insignificant inconvenience of having to wait for the entire show to download to my iTunes server before being able to watch it. We're just spoiled by the ability with our ATV1 to just click on the show, hit 'purchase', and be watching it 5-10 seconds later.

Thanks for the reminder. I've already submitted feedback, but yes, everyone taking a minute to do this certainly wouldn't hurt.

13. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

-1 ^^^ URL is no longer working...:confused:

+1 My bad; it's working again...

14. CylonGlitch macrumors 68030

CylonGlitch

Since the ATV2 is a streaming only device and it streams from the servers; which are already authorized for an account, why not just have the interface the same -- browsing TV shows. When you hit purchase, it prompts what server you want to download the content too (if there is more then one) and then sends a message to that server telling it to download it. Once the first episode is cached up it can start to stream to the ATV. [Note, clever programming would be to have episode 1 stream directly to the ATV while the server starts downloading episode 2 through n and then download 1 at the end. This way ATV could play from the server for episodes after the first one.] Or have iTunes also stream it to the ATV directly. This way, there is no additional interaction for people, just the ATV, and spend, spend, spend. :D Isn't that what Apple wants?

15. sathi macrumors newbie

Most of the times currently running t.v. shows are not available on itunes
    Can we watch from other websites such as http://movie25.ws/ on our iphone or notebook..? or can we buy from someone else?:confused:

16. 2010mini macrumors 68040

I'm a little confused..... Because the instructions on Apple's website says you can purchase TV shows directly from the Apple TV 2/3.

http://support.apple.com/kb/ht4743

Am I missing something?

17. Rushli0n macrumors regular

The original post was from 2011...when you couldn't purchase shows directly. You can do that now.

18. jlc1978 macrumors 68000

jlc1978

Not sure what your point is about legality. I store all my content on a NAS and stream via iTunes to ATV. My content was purchased from iTunes, included with disk purchases as digital downloads, time shifted TIVO content, or rips of DVDs I own and have in my possession. No pirated content.