If Optical Image Stabilization were ONLY in the 5.5, which phone size would you get?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Starfyre, Jun 24, 2014.

?

If OIS were ONLY in the 5.5'', which phone size would you get?

1. 4.7

33 vote(s)
    43.4%
  2. 5.5 (I would get 4.7 if it didnt have the OIS)

6 vote(s)
    7.9%
  3. 5.5 (I was already planning on getting the big phone)

30 vote(s)
    39.5%
  4. Getting an Android Phone, I'm not playing Apple's game.

7 vote(s)
    9.2%
  1. Starfyre, Jun 24, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 24, 2014

Starfyre macrumors 68030

Starfyre

As the topic states, if Optical Image Stabilization, a feature that would allow you to take better pictures with less blur, was the only other differentiating feature in the 5.5'' besides the screen, which one would you get?

In other words, would you choose:

5.5'' - Bigger Screen/Phone, Better Photos
    4.7'' - Smaller Screen/Phone, Worse Photos than 5.5''

2. Traverse macrumors 604

Traverse

Photo quality is huge for me, but it isn't worth a drastically bigger phone.

If Apple can manage a 5.5" that isn't much bigger than the 4.7" I'll consider it. I want a bigger phone, but not one that is unwieldy in a hurry. One handed use actually comes in handy.

Plus, I can already take decent pictures on a 4S and the 6 should have a vastly better sensor regardless of OIS.

3. Altimax98 macrumors 6502

Altimax98

Depending on if the sensor was the same sans OIS, I would stick with the 4.7. If the sensor was higher quality along with the OIS it would be a tougher call

4. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

5. walkthruwalls macrumors member

walkthruwalls

If the 5.5 works fine for one hand use. I know I'll be getting the iWatch so no use to go small for various reasons.

6. juanrp macrumors 6502a

juanrp

I sure hope I won't have to pick one or the other based on a feature that one has and the other doesn't.

I hope apple doesn't do that, that's really extra.

However, I see how this would benefit them, and not us.
    Okay, for example, the 5c and the 5s - the 5s was essentially the 'flagship' phone because it had better internals as well as a couple features the 5c did not include, (Touch ID, true tone flash, etc.) forcing people that wanted the next greatest thing from apple to choose the 5s and spend 100 more dollars.

It will not surprise me at all if the 5.5" iPhone 6 (assuming it will come, nothing is written in stone) has a feature that the 4.7" model lacks.

It's a game, and we get played.

I am over here with my iPhone 4, and I honestly don't care, I just want to upgrade. However, if the 5.5" model has a killer feature that I cannot resist, I will be torn because I was really leaning towards the 4.7".

Optical image stabilization, I know how it works, I have probably never payed attention to it so I shall not miss it.

Let's hope that the only thing that differentiates the two models is the screen size, because I'm not about to play this game.

-Juan :apple:

7. cynics macrumors G4

If Optical Image Stabilization were ONLY in the 5.5, which phone size would y...

Although that would be something I'd want I'd likely still go with the 4.7" model (after I handled both).

I've managed to be able to take very good pics without it. And although it may help that wouldn't negate the fact I'd have to deal with a device I find too large 24/7.

8. 53kyle macrumors 65816

53kyle

I was leaning towards getting the 5.5 inch, but I wanted to try both sizes in store. The better camera has pushed me straight over the 5.5 inch line, and I am probably going to camp out at the apple store to get the 5.5 inch iPhone 6. I'll probably get the space gray model, but I can only dream of more colors such as red (I love the iPod touch red model).

9. Squid7085 macrumors 6502a

I will have to wait to see how "big" the 5.5 feels, but just judging from that size in general I know I wouldn't likely be happy with it. The OIS wouldn't sway me to the 5.5 on it's own, I wouldn't be happy about it, but I would still go with the 4.7. It's hard to miss something you haven't ever had, I'd just wait it out until the iPhone 6s which will inevitably bring that feature to the 4.7.

10. walkthruwalls macrumors member

walkthruwalls

There is no perfect size for the masses. It all depends on personal preferences.

Apart from my caveman iPhone 4, I also own the Note 3. Funny enough, both sizes are fine. Takes a little adjusting the first minute or two upon holding one but both work well (maybe I just have good eyesight for small print). The only plus sides to having a big screen is on movie watching, gaming, and having two apps side by side (a feature iOS 7 doesn't have yet but I honestly think would be the ROCKIN' feature of the 5.5 if iOS 8/9 will have it). This same goes for owning both the iPad Air and the Mini. I can personally say they both work well with no gripes or complaints in sizes.

So please guys, stop pushing your opinions to others because this all goes down to personal preferences. Let's all get along. :D

Can't wait for the 6. :)

11. iPhone7ate9 macrumors 6502a

My Galaxy S4 FEELs slightly too big but as far as just visual looking at a screen I can always want bigger so it's a tough one.

How big would the screen on the 4.7" be compared to galaxy s4?

12. nnacrumors macrumors 6502

Fixed that for you ;)

Not so clear cut now...

13. Puonti macrumors 6502a

It'll still depend on how whatever phone(s) Apple releases this year feel(s) in hand, so there's no option for me in the poll (including, though less likely, "Not going to upgrade this year").

OIS is not a deal breaker or maker for me, considering that image quality is already good and it's likely to get better in any case.

14. rui no onna macrumors 603

rui no onna

Depends. If they make 32GB base for the 5.5" model, it muddies the waters again. :p

15. FSMBP macrumors 68020

FSMBP

I really hope the rumor is wrong and Apple has two iPhones with the same exact internals except one has a bigger screen...

Either way, 4.7" is what I would get. I'm very photo-oriented (which the 5S does a good job), but I can't justify that big of a phone. Honestly, I'd prefer a 4.3" iPhone than anything.

16. ZombiePete macrumors 68020

ZombiePete

In the end, I really don't want a bigger phone. Due to certain issues I have with my hands though, the difference in how I would use a 4.7" or 5.5" phone is pretty negligible, so if the 5.5" has features that the 4.7" doesn't, I'll probably opt for the bigger phone. What it really boils down to for me is battery life, though; whichever wins in that category will probably sway me most.

17. rui no onna macrumors 603

rui no onna

Lol, same. I'd be operating either 2-handed so it's going to boil down to battery life and which phone can fit comfortably in my jacket pocket. :rolleyes:

18. Appl3FTW macrumors 603

Appl3FTW

I planned on getting 2 because I thought they were being sold apart from each other's launch dates.. if they do get released at the same time, I'm going straight for 5.5.

19. bigjim83 macrumors 6502

20. Gincoma macrumors 6502

who cares what other people want, is it a dictating factor in your decision? :D

21. Starfyre thread starter macrumors 68030

Starfyre

It is not about what I want, but about how many users feeling a little unnerved by the fact Apple is forcing us to choose between the two not just because of size, but because of other aspects that don't really have anything to do with size. OIS is not something exclusive to 5.5'' now, yet they are playing this game with the consumer forcing us to choose, even when Samsung and Amazon are offering a great deal of value for the consumer.

I do not want a phablet, yet Apple is seemingly trying to make it the flagship... at least from the rumors.

22. AFDoc macrumors 68030

Love the last one... what exactly is "apple's game"?

People really crack me up. IF pictures are so important to you then buy a camera.... You'll never be satisfied with phone pics.
    How exactly is apple forcing you to do anything? Come on now let's not go too overboard with our hyperbole.

You and OP living in the same fantasy world.... how is it a game? Do you expect the same options on all models of car? You: I want the sunroof...Dealer: well sir, the sunroof only comes on the SX model, you're requesting the ST model. You:Stop playing games.... They should be the same!

See how ridiculous that would be at a car dealership..... or any store selling a product actually. Some cars, appliances, TV's come in different sizes and have different features depending on the model. A 56" tv of the same model will most likely have more features than the 42" model.... do you complain to them about that too?

----------

May I suggest to you if $100 = :eek: maybe an iPhone isn't something you should be purchasing.

23. Starfyre, Jun 26, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 26, 2014

Starfyre thread starter macrumors 68030

Starfyre

To me, Apple is making an exclusive feature for the 5.5'', that doesn't have to be exclusive, but is done just as a way to get consumers to want to get a 5.5'' over a 4.7''.

Its like buying a sedan and an SUV, and the SUV is the only one that has a radio whereas the sedan does not have one for whatever reason the manufacturer chose, which makes no sense at all. Your analogy to a SX and ST model make sense if Apple sold 2 "classes" of 4.7'' at different price points, which Apple most certainly won't do unless they plan to pull a C and non-C. Amazon's Fire Phone has it, why can't Apple's? Even if Apple makes that model cost a little more? Even though OIS is not as expensive as it may seem: From an article related to the fire phone "Citing a cost premium of $4 to $5 for optical image stabilization..." I am sure the typical Apple consumer can handle this "premium".

In this time where Apple's incremental improvements are resulting in court cases revealing Apple analysts sharing with the world that "Consumers want what we don't have" that shows how other companies have been innovating in many areas and offering new phone sizes, its a shame if the rumor mill is true that Apple, despite pressure from Amazon and other companies rapidly updating phones, Apple is going to "give consumers some of what Apple doesn't have, and make them think different with better features in 5.5'' that have no correlation or requirements in phone size.

24. AFDoc macrumors 68030

Ok.... and? Don't want it don't buy it. Easy solution to your non problem.

Right now the 5s has features the other phones don't have but I don't recall a post crying about that. What world to you live in that you think the 5.5 will sell more than the 4.7? Even if it has "special magical powers" the 4.7 doesn't have? You'll most likely have to pay more for the 5.5" so you're damn right it should get "special" features the 4.7 doesn't have.

Sounds like you're a spoiled consumer that will be kicking and screaming if apple doesn't do X that YOU want them to do. Again, vote with your wallet. Don't like what they have to offer move on to another device that does.... But ffs stop using words like "forcing" and "games" because they are silly words that have no place in a conversation when talking about purchases YOU decide to make or not make.

25. juanrp, Jun 27, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 27, 2014

juanrp macrumors 6502a

juanrp

Are you an idiot? Yes, at the end of the day, I will complain because I am the consumer.

I explained how it's a game and you seem to not understand it.

I currently have an iPhone, and I will be damned if I let someone ever tell me that I shouldn't be purchasing one.

And to your car comparison:
    There is obviously a reason why I would want the "ST" over the "SX" and I will not, and I refuse to pay extra for something that can just as easily be put on a cheaper model.

You don't know me, you don't know my financial situation, you don't know what I can and cannot afford.

I don't need your opinion, it means nothing to me, it has no value.

At the end of the day, for the people that want that luxury will be forced to pay more. That's that.

You're sitting here calling people out on things and being disrespectful to people over them STATING THEIR OPINION.

I don't have anymore time for you, so whatever

-Juan :apple: